Model Cars Magazine Forum

CHARLIE ALLEN Dart F/C - Hobby Room Construction - Update 7/14/15

Nitrozilla

Paul, both you and your well disguised black kitty are evil, evil, evil. Trying to get me to thinking about the Challengers. Bad Modeler, BAD. :angry::D

John, you're the only man on the planet who believes a melted body is a small problem. :P

Thanx Ray.

You're right Randy. It does look right on. BUT WAIT !!!! THERE'S MORE!!!!!

Just not right now. lol

I just finished all of the pre-assembly body work removing the wipers, door handles, side markers, window vents and rain channels. Next are the inserts and wheel well mods.

Stay tuned.

Hey Joe,

Nice to see you get back on the bike. I like where you're headed and glad to see you keep the same theme. It wouldn't be the same without the tie in to your back story, in my opinion. Keep up the good work!

Art

I couldn't agree more Art, for what is Art without a tale of the journey? You should know.

Alright kiddies, last of the pics for the day. Man, I've been on a tear today. Wonder where that came from?

Still got lots of tweaks to possibly include photo etch tank caps. I might even scratch some. Where's my hole punch.....?

Hey Chris, didn't we just see that micro millimeters can make all the diff in stance?

In the third picture you can see in the front wheel wells where the tinwork extends beyond. I'll get those filled tomorrow.

Yikes. Something I just noticed. The rear radius doesn't leave much room for decals. Darn

DSC02083.jpgDSC02084.jpgDSC02085.jpgDSC02086.jpg

Edited by Nitrozilla

Tim, the glass is half full. That's usually about the time I knock it over.

Bob & Gene, thank you much guys.

I've put the body and all of the accessories back together. They need to dry overnight before final fitment and putty, but it's looking very promising.

The large pieces you see on the trunk and roof are the inserts I was referring to earlier.

DSC02088.jpgDSC02090.jpgDSC02091.jpgDSC02092.jpg

Joe, I'm really grinning now! Be proud! I have to say, this is a lot cooler than that old funky Dart. Good you got it behind you, this is better!, and just plain cool.

I really like the process now. What symbolism. Getting out the big nasty saw and cutting away, getting it right like you want it, and moving on with full speed and determination. Excellent!

Michael

Michael, Chris, Gene, my builds have always taken on a life of their own. Seriously, it's like the model is saying, "Hey, Dummy, wrong way. Let me show you how I'm supposed to be done. There, better, right?"

So I cave in, and go back about my business.

I still have some tweaks like narrowing the tinwork, getting the angle right on the headlight assembly, fitting the front roll pan and making sure the hood gap is right. I'm maintaining all panel lines as they were when the NHRA still cared that it looked stock enough to recognize for "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday."

Pics soon.

Everything is back together and the chrome is ready to strip. Next will come the front fender wells, then I'll be ready for putty and endless hours of boring, tedious, mind numbing, never ending, ceaseless, Dear Benevolent Spiritual Super Being Kill Me Now,..........sanding.

Almost forgot, still need to make blank inserts to cover the grilles. Besides, they're just so deep that it can't be very aerodynamic.

See y'all in a month or so. Or maybe tomorrow. Possibly later.

DSC02094.jpgDSC02095.jpgDSC02096.jpgDSC02097.jpgDSC02098.jpgDSC02100.jpg

Joe, I liked your Dart....but I REALLY love this build. Will look for your next pics after the dreaded wash, rinse repeat of bodywork schtick. You described the process all too well.

Cheers, Tim

Tim, Michael and Vince, thank you for your overwhelming support for the Super Bee. It's really growing on me.

There is a hidden agenda on my choice here as well. I wanted to pay homage to Jim Keeler's Dodge Fever. Granted, his is a one-of-a-kind achievement that has been replicated and imitated and even caricatured using a Studebaker. I took the easy way out by channeling, not wedging the thing. Maybe it's not a coincidence that I accidentally met him at the San Jose NNL, only to actually get to talk to him at the GSL.

But I digest. Let's get to today's progress, shall we? I started the fender wells by elongating them towards the front to accomodate the longer wheelbase. Next I used ultra thin sheet plastic as a backing for what will be the new inserts. After some trial and error, (I love grinding with my Dremel), the blanks were glued in place.

My reason for this mod is two-fold because I brought the body down as far as it's going to go in front on the stance, but it's not low enough to look Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty. I'm creating the illusion by lowering the top of the fender well. In other words, the top of the tire was visible before. This will fix it.

After it dries, I'll draw the shape of the original well, then get to final size with the aforementioned Dremel.

Did I ever mention why I bought a Dremel? The salesman told me it was guaranteed not to rust, bust or collect dust nor would it leak, squeak, or creek for a week. I was sold man. It recently celebrated it's 15th birthday.

Enjoy the pics :D

DSC02101.jpgDSC02102.jpgDSC02103.jpg

Love the modifications to the Super Bee , it looks awesome !

I remember when Jim Keeler's Dodge Fever was on the cover of Car Model , it was the most beautiful model I'd ever seen !

This will be a great tribute to it ! :)

Thanks for the thumbs up Bob. Unfortunately, mine will not be yellow. But it will, more than likely, have yellow pinstriping.

Hey kiddies !! I did a Googlization for "Super Bee Funny Car" and lookie what I found. There were no 1:1 Funnies. Funny, right?

I have never seen or heard of this. Anyone build it or have it stashed away?

6f2c8c2e-789c-465f-b899-549c2e93cdf6.jpg

Funny you should mention that Paul. As you already know from your research on your Dart build, the chute is mounted low I'm going to install a magnet there for interchangeable open and closed chute packs. .That's a Bobthehobbyguy brainchild from earlier in the build. He suggested it to Chris for the Vega and I "adopted" the idea. That means it will have a removable open chute, which is also an adopted idea from Darryl Raper aka Mr Twister.

I noticed the Super Bee model above has a full plate on the front. With bumperettes. Ahhhhh, the good ol' daze.

Thanks for looking out for me pal. ;)

Edited by Nitrozilla

I'm on your side Ray. I'm liking this more and more. Especially in light of recent changes.

Thanks for the pic Glenn. I never saw that one either. :D I need to get out more often. Surprised it didn't come up in my search.

You all know I've been up to my uh-huh in alligators with this home buy, but I can see the end is near. It's been inspected and bug hunted, final price determined with one minor hiccup. Interest rates went up. My deal started at 3.75 and it just bumped up over 4 before my deal was locked. We should hopefully close next week. I'll post pics after; don't wanna' jinx it.

Exciting stuff on the body mod front. And rear. I've reclaimed the rear fender wells and raised the rear stance. I sectioned the rear tinwork bulkhead where it hinges at the frame. Then I added a 5/16th strip that lowered the hinge brackets, ergo raising the rear end of the body. When I saw how much rear fender well clearance it gave me, that's when I decided to fill them and redo the original shape. The pics are fresh off the Dremel and I'll do final sand / shape next. Then maybe some putty; who knows?

I know when we last spoke it was ready for putty, but if I've said it once, I've said it more than once, my builds take on a life of their own. As much as I would like to think I'm the Alpha Builder in my howse, it just ain't so. The Gods of Styrene are dominating my feeble attempts.

Thanks for tuning in and enjoy the pics.

DSC02104.jpgDSC02106.jpgDSC02107.jpgDSC02109.jpgDSC02110.jpgDSC02111.jpg

Thanks a lot Paul. So, I woke up this morning to the pitter patter of little feet. Was it children? Nope. It was my Minion chasing around a bunch of monkeys holding "Thumbs Up" signs.

Thanks as always Bob.

That's a good recommendation Jason. I've got some Billy Gooche Stardust Charger decals from his daughter. They look great.

However, if I changed from Charlie at this point, there would be several angry pm's in my box at the end of the day.

I'm going to do a double check, but I think it's ready for putty slinging action. Going to try Evercoat for the first time after some Mad Scientist experiments with the hardener.