Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aluma-Coupe

Snake45

Started this one when the kit first came out, what, almost 20 years ago? The Testor Boyd's Aluma-Coupe Yellow paint didn't work out for me AT ALL so I stripped it and sentenced to a long term on the Shelf of Doom. Finally got tired of looking at it there so a couple years ago I squirted it with some kind of Duplicolor metallic red, shot right from the can. The stuff laid down and buffed up pretty nicely.

Now, older and wiser, I'm ALMOST in the mood to try a yellow one again. This time I know the secret--white or yellow primer under that Boyd's Yellow, not gray (will prolly use Floquil Reefer Yellow, which I keep on hand to do model airplane propeller tips). And I have JUST enough of that stupid paint left to do it, too....

AlumaCoupe01.jpg

AlumaCoupe02.jpg

AlumaCoupe03.jpg

AlumaCoupe04.jpg

The alumi-coupe was available as a full detail or a curbside. I have only seen a handfull of the full detail kits, but they were nice. This one was apparently the slammer kit (meaning you slam it together and slam it down on the table, lol)

I have loved these kits, I have built and destroyed about 7 or 8 of them, mostly used as test mules for paint and body techniques and never finished or tossed. I would like to find another one and actually build it.

The red looks great on there! If I recall, isn't this one assembled more like a model aircraft fuselage than a typical car body?

Looks good in the red paint! I bought one of the detailed versions X years ago just for the wheels and tires. They set around forever waiting on the right project. I finally put them on a chopped '37 Ford high boy.

So are you repainting this one or building a new one in yellow? Is this model as simple as it looks - does it have an interior?

The red one looks good, I like the shape too.

The yellow one will be a new build--I'll leave this one alone.

No interior, engine, or chassis. The "glass" is either heavily smoked or straight black plastic, I forget which. I just polished it up and glued it in. I think you can see EVERY PART of this model in these pictures.

If I recall, isn't this one assembled more like a model aircraft fuselage than a typical car body?

Yup. But I've been building model airplanes all my life and so am pretty good at creating "seamless seams" from halves of things. Normally in car modeling I only get to use that awesome skill on engine blocks. B)

I bought one of the detailed versions X years ago just for the wheels and tires.

I'm not a huge fan of them. Someday I'll come up with something the same overall sizes (width and tire diameter) but more "traditional" and I'll replace these. Will use these on the new-build yellow one, though, just because they're "right" for that.

I'm not a huge fan of them. Someday I'll come up with something the same overall sizes (width and tire diameter) but more "traditional" and I'll replace these. Will use these on the new-build yellow one, though, just because they're "right" for that.

Me neither. That's why they set around for so long. But, the moment I stuck them on my '37 high boy for the heck of it, they were only wheels and tires that would work. That rarely happens with me. I usually go through ten or more sets of wheels on any given build.

Nice paint. I built the full detail version when it first came out and found some nice images (from the Oakland Museum) to put together a little display with a figure (as I always do). You are correct. You need white primer under the Boyd Aluma Coupe Yellow to get the correct hue. I tend to use Tamiya Fine White Surface Primer.

post-7848-0-98313000-1413314033_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...