Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/10 scratch built Holden HX Overlander Panel Van

prestonlal

• 2 weeks later...

I just had to mock up with the body on....! 
With the radiator in there, I have 8mms of space for the clutch fan to fit...!:  but that should be enough...lol...!

Will have to get cracking on getting the fan sorted tonight so I can verify that it's okay! 
The battery came in today...but still waiting on the connectors so I can make the splitter cable! 
Gonna have to make a custom low profile air cleaner pan by adding some styrene so it drops down closer to the intake...only got like about 4mms clearance for the hood to close properly....

Anywho...some more pics...and some more to come soon!

Can you hear that sound? That's the sound of my throwing all my tools, kits and magazines in the bin. Not in a million years am I going to get anywhere like that. You've got the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH fanbelt turning, are you for frigging real?, are you even human?

And just for an encore, you chuck in a lazy scratch built V8, and then to rub salt in the wound, figure why not and replicated it. I'm hurting here, real bad. Your talent is unreal, the subject matter brings a tear to this Aussie's heart, and you are completely smashing this one into orbit. I have no more words, I just bow at your feet and sob.......

Can you hear that sound? That's the sound of my throwing all my tools, kits and magazines in the bin. Not in a million years am I going to get anywhere like that. You've got the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH fanbelt turning, are you for frigging real?, are you even human?

And just for an encore, you chuck in a lazy scratch built V8, and then to rub salt in the wound, figure why not and replicated it. I'm hurting here, real bad. Your talent is unreal, the subject matter brings a tear to this Aussie's heart, and you are completely smashing this one into orbit. I have no more words, I just bow at your feet and sob.......

lol....thanks Chris ! For the kind words and the encouragement!  

So,  seriously thinking about another project as the sandman is getting close to finished.. ( are they really ever finished?) ... I found this 1/35 4wd drive F150 RC truck and after I had a look at the chassis dimensions, it scales out pretty close to a 1/25 Holden Panel Van!  

http://www.banggood.com/OH35P01-KIT-Assemble-RC-Car-The-Parts-Version-Climbing-RC-Car-p-967337.html?rmmds=category

So hoping to try building another Sandman at this scale this winter! At this point I'm not sure how much detail I can capture at this scale... Initially it will be just the shell to cover the chassis, once I'm happy with it, I'll start on an interior....and, after mucking around with molding and casting, I will try to build it as modular as possible , with thoughts of putting together a kit that I can offer you guys. But this will more than likely be the body and interior only. I'm not sure that I will be scratch building a chassis to go with it. If you guys are familiar with a chassis of some vehicle at this scale that will substitute , let me know and I'll pick up a kit and have a look at it. And if I can build the body with that chassis in mind, it will be easier to put it together! 

What do you guys think?

Edited by prestonlal

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys.... Well...it's been a month already...: but I finally think I have everything I need to move forward....

Now I got to stick all of this..

In here....:blink: :o

In the meantime .... Here's a few pics while I get jiggy with it....will have a progress update later tonight...

Didn't get as far as I hoped but did manage to make some progress...:blink:

Decided that the first thing to do was get the heat sink sunk...lol!  I found an Integy Heatsink that came with a fan, but didn't need the fan.....but the heatsink lined up pretty sweet! The only real issue was that I needed to widen the hole where the motor goes, and hollow out the oil pan the the heat sink fins fit in there...

Removed the fan from the heat sink and stripped the engine to near nekkid ... Then covered up the pulley system and grabbed my trusty proxxon rotary tool ! 

Got the ole redneck sanding cabinet out and added some high tech lighting...lol

Not bad...still needs a bi of tweaking...so that the tranny bolts up flush to the motor.

Will continue tomorrow ... Once I get it tweaked properly, will go ahead with the wiring...

Hey guys...not much of an update ...:blink::  more like another 2 steps back...ha...:o  like a doofus, I completely forgot that I needed to shave the oil pan and the oil pan sump to get a few more mms of clearance for the diff...so I won't be using the heat sink because the fins are the height of the oil pan sump, and I don't really want to cut those....:crazy: which also means that I basically ruined the engine..:mad: no biggie really cuz I had a spare...:nice:
So spent most of tonight shaving the oil pan, and shaving off the timing cover and drilling holes to mount the pulley system on the new engine. So tomorrow night after work, I will begin soldering the wires and connectors etc to get the chassis completed.
Here's a few pics of the new engine and the clearance as well as a comparison to the old engine...

• 4 months later...

Woot!.....back in the zone on the Sandman....I think I gots me mojo back....

Finally painted the tailgate...also painted the tailgate struts...but forgot to take some pics...got to let the clear coat cure for a couple of days before I can handle the tailgate to install...

Anywho... A few pics...

Hey guys...yep...another update!

Tailgates are in...lol! Just couldn't wait...lol! Upper gate struts and lower gate cables as well...not sure if I will be putting a glass in the upper gate ...will have to think on it some more...lol ! Gonna try to get some work done on the front windscreen now...

Anywho...some pics....

Building curved windshields is a real biatch...!  But getting there slowly but surely...ain't gonna be pretty though...still need to do the top frame finisher thingy as well as the sides...will see if I can get this done tonight...luckily the Sandman comes with the frame blacked out , so will do that as well a general black border around the windshield itself...

Strips are in...

Also made the GTS horn switch...lol!

Will tape off the windshield and leave about 2mm from the strip exposed then lay down some black paint tomorrow...that should give the effect of a border around the windscreen....I hope...lol!

Anywho...some pics!