Model Cars Magazine Forum

What non-auto model did you get today?

That Lindberg Winnie Mae is a happy childhood memory for me. Built it as a kid. I loved the dramatic box art, and those markings showing all the places Wiley Post visited.   Years ago, long before the last reissue, I found an original Lindberg kit and grabbed it. 

I just took an Internet cruise and that kit is still very popular, with lots of build articles.  Came across one guy who built Amelia Earhart's red Lockheed Vega. He combined parts from the Lindberg and the old AMT 1/48 kit of the same plane.  Decals for Earhart's Vega and others are available from the aftermarket.

Back on-topic, this came in the mail today, the Heller 1/72 scale Bloch 210.  Got it for a reasonable eBay price, with free shipping.  From the French between-the-wars "flying house" school of aircraft design!  Like its stablemate, the Amiot 143. These things have so many windows and so much room, you almost expect to look inside and see fine art on the fuselage walls, carpeting and maybe a fireplace, buffet table and bar.

bloch210.jpg

14 hours ago, Snake45 said:

You must be a glutton for punishment. I have that Lindberg F-94 and it's one of the worst model airplane kits I've ever seen. I've never owned their F-80 but it's of similar vintage; I've seen photos of built ones which kept me from ever buying it. 

I might or might not have the Winnie Mae in my collection, can't remember, but I know I've never built one. I have seen these built up into fairly nice models, though, so I'm not as down on that one, though I think I'd rather build the AMT kit of that airplane. 

Next time you get tempted to buy any of this old Lindberg stuff, ask me first. I can probably save you some money. BTW, I love old kits and retro/nostalgia modeling, and have actually built a few of the old Lindbergs, but some of them are just unredeemable wretched backbirths. B)

WARNING! Lindberg's F-80C Shooting Star and F-94C Starfire leave a lot to be desired. WOW! Are they bad. Very low parts count. And a lot of details are missing. Thank goodness the price wasn't too bad for the two kits. The decals look good. So I'm hoping between careful painting and proper application of decals the two plane may look okay. But only okay. We'll see. 

9 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

WARNING! Lindberg's F-80C Shooting Star and F-94C Starfire leave a lot to be desired. WOW! Are they bad. Very low parts count. And a lot of details are missing. Thank goodness the price wasn't too bad for the two kits. The decals look good. So I'm hoping between careful painting and proper application of decals the two plane may look okay. But only okay. We'll see. 

Didn't somebody tell you that? Oh yeah, it was me. B) Did they come with stands? If so, I'd suggest building them gear-up and on the stands as "desk" models (Model Airplane World's equivalent of curbsides or slammers). 

28 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Didn't somebody tell you that? Oh yeah, it was me. B) Did they come with stands? If so, I'd suggest building them gear-up and on the stands as "desk" models (Model Airplane World's equivalent of curbsides or slammers). 

You were right on those two. Wow! The F-94C Starfire in particular is bad. The worst cockpit, or lack there of, that I've ever seen in any airplane kit. Look into the engine intakes, and what do you see? Nothing! There is nothing in there! With the lack of cockpit detail, you might see the radar operator's lower torso, legs, and feet in there. And where are the landing gear bays? The the gear is there. So are the gear doors. But no bays for them to retract into and cover. 

The F-80C Shooting Star is a little better. But not by much. It includes a full cockpit. Landing gear bays. Air intake pieces. But, look in the exhaust, and like the Starfire you'll see nothing but a hollow plastic tube. Still it's a better kit than Lindberg's F-94C. Just not much better. 

And you asked about stands, Snake. There are none. They are going to have sit on a desk or shelf on their own landing gear. 

An I disappointed? Yes and no. I didn't pay a lot for the two of them. I kind of knew what I was getting into a head of time. And I've built BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH like this in the past. So it's not a big surprise. I still have hopes for making them look somewhat okay in the end. 

Lindberg's Winnie Mae is a lot better. Interior detail, like AMT's version is lacking in both kits. The Lindberg version has only one exhaust coming out of the lower engine cowling. And then that exhaust looks like nothing I've seen in any of the photos of the real Winnie Mae. But, it does the look similar to the exhaust you'll see on some photos of Amelia Airhart's Lockheed Vega. And from my understanding, there are aftermarket decals out there to convert this kit into Airhart's Vega. So what flaws the Lindberg Winnie Mae has, are much easier to overlook than those of Lindberg's F-80C or F-94C. 

Despite everything, I'm happy with my recent purchases of Lindberg airplane kits. No regrets. I'll have fun doing the best that I can with each kit. 

57 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

You were right on those two. Wow! The F-94C Starfire in particular is bad. The worst cockpit, or lack there of, that I've ever seen in any airplane kit. Look into the engine intakes, and what do you see? Nothing! There is nothing in there! With the lack of cockpit detail, you might see the radar operator's lower torso, legs, and feet in there. And where are the landing gear bays? The the gear is there. So are the gear doors. But no bays for them to retract into and cover. 

The F-80C Shooting Star is a little better. But not by much. It includes a full cockpit. Landing gear bays. Air intake pieces. But, look in the exhaust, and like the Starfire you'll see nothing but a hollow plastic tube. Still it's a better kit than Lindberg's F-94C. Just not much better. 

And you asked about stands, Snake. There are none. They are going to have sit on a desk or shelf on their own landing gear. 

An I disappointed? Yes and no. I didn't pay a lot for the two of them. I kind of knew what I was getting into a head of time. And I've built BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH like this in the past. So it's not a big surprise. I still have hopes for making them look somewhat okay in the end. 

Lindberg's Winnie Mae is a lot better. Interior detail, like AMT's version is lacking in both kits. The Lindberg version has only one exhaust coming out of the lower engine cowling. And then that exhaust looks like nothing I've seen in any of the photos of the real Winnie Mae. But, it does the look similar to the exhaust you'll see on some photos of Amelia Airhart's Lockheed Vega. And from my understanding, there are aftermarket decals out there to convert this kit into Airhart's Vega. So what flaws the Lindberg Winnie Mae has, are much easier to overlook than those of Lindberg's F-80C or F-94C. 

Despite everything, I'm happy with my recent purchases of Lindberg airplane kits. No regrets. I'll have fun doing the best that I can with each kit. 

Scott, Moebius used to sell separately the clear plastic stands from the '50s Aurora airplane kits. I bought about 10 of them and am planning to use them for "desk builds" on  several vintage Aurora, Lindeberg, and Hawk airplanes. I just checked their website and couldn't find the stands listed anywhere now, but if you're interested you might contact them and ask if they still have or still offer them. 

As to other Lindberg airplanes, before you buy, ask me first. I can probably save you some heartache LOL. B)

On 1/2/2019 at 11:00 PM, Roadrunner said:

Won in a web site Christmas raffle (different site)...

Love that Russkie "Spitfire", man. I need to find one of those.

Some friends of mine brought one into the USA in a crate, disassembled, mostly covered in cosmoline, years ago. Fair bit of P-51 influence too, with the wide landing gear and belly cooling system arrangement.

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Scott, Moebius used to sell separately the clear plastic stands from the '50s Aurora airplane kits. I bought about 10 of them and am planning to use them for "desk builds" on  several vintage Aurora, Lindeberg, and Hawk airplanes. I just checked their website and couldn't find the stands listed anywhere now, but if you're interested you might contact them and ask if they still have or still offer them. 

As to other Lindberg airplanes, before you buy, ask me first. I can probably save you some heartache LOL. B)

Thanks Snake, but I have no need for the stands. I'm okay with them sitting on their landing gear. In fact in most cases I prefer it. As far as advice on old kits by Lindberg and others. I'd love to hear your thoughts on them, but I don't know if it would change my mind on picking them up or not? Again, I have no regrets buying the Lindberg F-80C/F-94C combo kit. True, they are junk. But, I kind of like them. I know, it's a sickness ?. I can not help it. 

19 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

... Again, I have no regrets buying the Lindberg F-80C/F-94C combo kit. True, they are junk. But, I kind of like them. I know, it's a sickness ?. I can not help it. 

Sometimes, it's just kinda fun to build old kits we know leave a lot to be desired. A little more like being a kid again, living in a world where if something looked kinda OK, that was good enough.

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Oh! By the way Snake. I keep thinking about buying a copy of Lindberg's Gee Bee Racer. Any thoughts on that one? Is it okay? Or do I need to be committed to the HaHa Hilton? And of the two mainstream (read cheap) Gee Bee kits out there, which would you recommend? The Lindberg, or Hawk? 

8 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Oh! By the way Snake. I keep thinking about buying a copy of Lindberg's Gee Bee Racer. Any thoughts on that one? Is it okay? Or do I need to be committed to the HaHa Hilton? And of the two mainstream (read cheap) Gee Bee kits out there, which would you recommend? The Lindberg, or Hawk? 

The Lindberg /Pyro Gee Bee is actually about 1/26 scale, NOT the 1/32 scale as stated on the box. Measuring the wingspan of the kit confirms this. The early version has heavily-ribbed wings, NOT correct for this aircraft. Later ones have smooth wings that accurately represent the plywood skinned real ones. Here's a shot of ribbed-wing one in the background. If you WANT 1/32 scale, look to the two Williams versions. They're nice kits.

DSCN3245.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

28 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

That's really an important airplane for anyone who's an early racing enthusiast . I keep almost getting one. Just wish it had been done in 1/25 or so, like the Lindberg Gee Bee.

I'm big fan of Travel Air airplanes in general. And your right, the "Mystery Ship" was a big deal in airplane history as it was. By the way, I opened the box to  take a quick look, and the Testor/old Hawk Travel Air Mystery Ship kit looks very good. Even though the box claims the kit to be 1/48 scale, it looks a little small. But then again, the real plane was not all that big. And the pilot included in the kit looks to be correct for 1/48. Ace, if you've been sitting on the fence on this one, I would recommend going for it. It looks like a very nice kit. 

Also Ace, you've got me ruminating on the Lindberg Gee Bee. The scale being larger than what they claim doesn't bother me a bit. I'm just wondering about the rest of the kit? Is the Testor/Hawk kit a better kit than the Lindberg? Or the other way around? The old Hawk/Testor Gee Bee is supposed to be in one of the common airplane scales of 1/48. Again, scale in this case is not as big of a deal as quality. Which one looks better in the end. From what I can see, the NACA engine cowling looks better on the Lindberg kit. More correct for Gee Bee racing #11. The Hawk model cowling looks more correct for Gee Bee racing #7. 

1 hour ago, unclescott58 said:

...From what I can see, the NACA engine cowling looks better on the Lindberg kit. More correct for Gee Bee racing #11. The Hawk model cowling looks more correct for Gee Bee racing #7. 

You're correct.

The main reason I like the big Lindberg kit is because it looks cool with 1/25 scale car models, and is almost right to pose with my 1/24 scale warbirds and helos too. The large scale also lends itself to super detailing, which of course can also be done in 1/32 and 1/48. It is a very simple kit, but looks great assembled, with .010 steel for flying wires (instead of the recommended monofilament) etc.

The Lindberg kit DOES have raised engraved separation lines for the red scallops, which makes masking considerably easier.

The only other GeeBee models I have, or are familiar with, are the two in 1/32 scale from Williams Bros. They're much more detailed than the Lindberg / Pyro kit, and of course, look right with my 1/32 warbirds.

AND...IIRC...the white one comes with BOTH cowls and decals to do either the #7 or #11 airplane.

Click the link to take you to a buildup of the GeeBee Z from Williams.  http://www.barneysairforce.com/Models/Civilian Aircraft/Gee Bee Z/Gee Bee Z.htm

THESE ARE NOT MY MODELS

Image result for williams brothers GeeBee

Image result for williams brothers GeeBee

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I'm telling you, it's a sickness. Look what I just found out on my porch. 

IMG_3222.JPG

Now you need the Howard Mr Mulligan and the Supermarine S6B. You might as well get the Hawk Ryan STA while you're about it. B)

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Now you need the Howard Mr Mulligan and the Supermarine S6B. You might as well get the Hawk Ryan STA while you're about it. B)

Again, what are your thoughts on the Gee Bee? Ace has me close to being talked into buying the Lindberg kit. 

How hard is it find models of Mr Mulligan or a Ryan STA now days? For that matter, is a Supermarine S6B all that easy to find? 

27 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

How hard is it find models of Mr Mulligan or a Ryan STA now days? For that matter, is a Supermarine S6B all that easy to find? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TESTORS-MR-MULLIGAN-1-48-911/233097334025?hash=item3645af0d09:g:j24AAOSwvfpcK~CO:rk:2:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermarine-S6B-Racer-Model-Parts/382635919603?hash=item5916e0c8f3:g:2uQAAOSwxZxb8ZzI:rk:3:pf:0

Lotsa Ryan ST trainers around too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hawk-Ryan-ST-PT-20-Airplane-Model-Unstarted-in-Box/372314466644?hash=item56afabe954:g:mAwAAOSwJ7dbBq9z

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Again, what are your thoughts on the Gee Bee? Ace has me close to being talked into buying the Lindberg kit. 

I've never owned any Gee Bee model kit so have no thoughts on them. If the size difference doesn't bother you, I suspect you'd enjoy the larger Lindberg/Pyro/Lifelike kit more. 

I have done a couple Mr. Mulligans. Built one as a kid (long gone), another as a teenager, and then picked up a clean built one at an estate sale. Here's the builtup (rear) with my teens-built one. Couple years ago I tore the latter down and rebuilt it a bit. One of the things I did was mask off the windows on the kit's odd one-piece glass unit and paint the exterior framing white. I also did away with the brace bar between the landing gear, which the real airplane didn't have, and filled the molding sinkmarks on the top of the rear fuselage and painted that area white. Looks a lot better now. (The real propeller was metal, but I achieved such a nice "wood" paintjob as a kid that I just left that.)  I also have a mint unbuilt kit I'll do a really nice job on someday.  I wish someone made a kit of the Howard DGA-8, an even better looking airplane. 

HawkMrMulligan02.jpg.a9b66d9494de8c01b51230ec3783571a.jpg

HawkMrMulligan07.jpg.b71c54dd01a2f103c5a2d73aefaca48a.jpg

HawkMrMulligan09.jpg.a15a6ce1427622e6733c29a4cc27d7c7.jpg

HawkMrMulligan13.jpg.95f8396f3b97400112484cd8eec087e4.jpg

HawkMrMulligan23.jpg.ce990d9bbe4f12c6e3f0e9c0ca886cd0.jpg

Okay guys. With all of the discussions above, I went ahead and ordered a Lindberg Gee Bee. The Air Racer version. Not the one with the Coca-Cola decals. At the same time, I decided I need to add Lindberg's Laird-Turner Meteor kit too. Found that one new on eBay with shipping for under $10. Tough to pass up on that one, at that price. And considering the history of Rosco Turner and that particular plane, it should be in my collection. 

Edited by unclescott58

Stopped at a seldom-visited flea market and picked up a Hasegawa 1/72 Northrop F-5A for $6. Box open but parts in sealed factory bag and yes the canopy is in there, I checked. I've already built the Matchbox and ESCI kits of this airplane, but have never built this one. Good looking airplane, should be a fun, easy build. 

One I walked away from was even more interesting. An absolutely NEW looking--clean, shiny, and undamaged in any way--1990 Corvette coupe promo in red, with box. Asking price only $6.50, an absolute steal. But I already built a '91 or '92 kit, just restored a '94 promo, and am about to finish up the resto of a '95 roadster, so I'm pretty well covered on C4s. I'll probably kick myself someday. :lol: