Model Cars Magazine Forum

What non-auto model did you get today?

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Cool! I was SO glad when Testor reissued this one back in the '80s. I think you'll like it! 

Your build, a page or two back, was the inspiration for me seeking out this kit. I really like the looks of this plane, and the looks of the kit. The pilot leaves a little be desired. Still I plan on using him. Thanks Snake. You and Ace have gotten me to seek out and add some very cool airplane models to my collection lately.  

9 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Another addition to the collection. And probably the last one for awhile. Time to do more building. Spend my money more on paints to finish projects. And less on adding more projects. 

IMG_3256.JPG

Sweet! As I suspected, the ancient decals have yellowed. Put them in a window with a southern exposure for a few days and they should bleach right out. Then coat them with Micro SuperFilm before cutting them out. 

Thanks to Mr. Snake, I scored a 1/32 Spitfire Mk22-24, the last of the line. I wouldnae ha known aboot it had it nae been for him. Thanks, Snake. The decals are a little buggered, but there are bound to be other sources. Damm what a pretty airplane. Looks like the offspring of a P-51-D and an early Spit. Also looks (at first glance) like the cockpit can be installed after the fuselage is built and painted, from underneath through the opening for the wing.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

40 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

It sure does. Hmmmmm...

What are you thinking, maybe a post-WWII Bendix/Thompson racer? That could be cool. 

I had an idea: What about one in captured US markings, Wright Field evaluation markings? Bare metal, late US stars and bars, maybe the red-white-blue rudder. That could look cool, too. :huh:

On 1/26/2019 at 8:50 PM, Snake45 said:

What are you thinking, maybe a post-WWII Bendix/Thompson racer? That could be cool. 

I had an idea: What about one in captured US markings, Wright Field evaluation markings? Bare metal, late US stars and bars, maybe the red-white-blue rudder. That could look cool, too. :huh:

Yeah, something like that.  :D

AND...anybody have any insight as to how good or bad the Revell 1/80 DC-3 is? Probably close enough to look OK in the foreground of an HO scale scene...1/87.

23 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

AND...anybody have any insight as to how good or bad the Revell 1/80 DC-3 is? Probably close enough to look OK in the foreground of an HO scale scene...1/87.

Do you mean the old box-scale Monogram C-47? It's not bad on shape but is covered with rivets. 

If you really want an HO scale C-47/DC-3, I could swear that ROCO or the Minitanks people had one in their line maybe in the '80s. I'm pretty sure I saw one in a hobby shop about that time. Just did some quick googling and wasn't able to find it, but I'll try to dig a little deeper. 

ETA: Found this already: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Walthers-Cornerstone-HO-Douglas-DC-3-Aircraft-Kit-SEALED-NEW-933-1160/143106568090?hash=item2151d0ef9a:g:fv4AAOSwTEZcTi00

Edited by Snake45

1 minute ago, Snake45 said:

Found you a review of the Walthers kit I posted above: 

Tanks again. 

PS. Looks like I'm seeing the old Revell version listed as 1/90, not 1/80 as I posted. Plenty close enough to HO if it is. I need to research that one more, as I can get'em pretty cheap at the moment.

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Tanks again. 

PS. Looks like I'm seeing the old Revell version listed as 1/90, not 1/80 as I posted. Plenty close enough to HO if it is. I need to research that one more, as I can get'em pretty cheap at the moment.

Yah, I found that too. Pretty sure it's the old Monogram box scale. 

With the recent addition of complete Lost in Space on Blu-Ray to my collection, I decided I need some additional Lost in Space stuff to go with it. So I purchased Polar Lights kit #5030, The Robot From Lost in Space. And Polar Lights kit #5032, Lost in Space, "Complete With One-Eyed Monster, Giant Boulders, The Robinson Family And Their Interplanetary Space Vehicle." Both are repops of the old Aurora kits from the 1960's. Which I never had at the time, but always wanted. 

Polar Lights repoped several old Aurora kits about 15 to 20 years ago. Few to none in recent years. I'm guessing they must not have sold very well. And now they are getting hard to find. There are several I should have gone for at the time. Like their reissue of the Chamber of Torture, Le Guillotine kit. Though that one I never actually saw on the shelves anywhere. I'm presently looking for the one with the extra "glow in the dark" figure. It's getting tough to find at a reasonable price. 

IMG_3264.JPG

IMG_3265.JPG

IMG_3266.JPG

Edited by unclescott58

Another new one came in the mail today. I've been wanting one of these for a couple of years now. It's Pegagus' pre-built War of the Worlds Martian. From the 1953 George Pal movie. The model comes with an extra set of arms in different pose. And a few fun accessories. Like the damaged Martian scanner, and two books. World of the Worlds and To Serve Man. Some good humor there! As you can see from the photos, it look like a very nicely done model. 

IMG_3273.JPG

IMG_3274.JPG

IMG_3275.JPG

This was in my mailbox today. Yep, an old Badger 250. This was the first airbrush that I purchased many many years ago. Yep, it wasn't much of an airbrush then and I'm sure it isn't much of one now. Back then they were $9.99 so it was cheap. I got this one for just a bit more than I paid for the first one. The one I received today has never been used. Had to buy it for nostalgia's sake.

Second pic is the airbrush I bought after the first Badger 250 (mid 70s) and it's still the one I use today. And I do use the nylon handle as a paint stirrer, can't ya tell?.

Third pic is the book I learned from and I'd like to find a copy of it as mine is long gone.

badg250wren 001.jpg

badg250wren 002.jpg

badger book.jpeg

Edited by DPNM

8 minutes ago, oldnslow said:

My Wren B model is still my old stand by for just about anything I want to spray , had it for about 40 years .

Good to hear there is another long time Wren B user here. I've had mine just over 40 years. It's the only one I've used to paint models. It's like an old friend, I know it well. We must be around the same age Robert if'n we've had 'em this long:lol:.