Model Cars Magazine Forum

What non-auto model did you get today?

2 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Thank you Snake. I signed up to join in, so I can respond to his offer. The price sounds good. By the way, I appreciate you referring to me there to him as a friend of yours. The feeling is like wise. Even though we've never meet directly. I do enjoy my interactions with you on this forum, and consider you too a friend. 

I went back to my original message and added your name and town so somebody else didn't try to hijack the deal before you got together.  (As Letterman used to say, "There is no OFF position on the Genius Switch.")

2 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Great, I left a message for him to contact me. 

He left his email and is expecting someone to contact HIM. I'd go ahead and email him now if I were you. Nothing irritates me more than leaving clear directions on how to contact me and having them ignored. B)

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

I went back to my original message and added your name and town so somebody else didn't try to hijack the deal before you got together.  (As Letterman used to say, "There is no OFF position on the Genius Switch.")

He left his email and is expecting someone to contact HIM. I'd go ahead and email him now if I were you. Nothing irritates me more than leaving clear directions on how to contact me and having them ignored. B)

Okay. Personal email is sent. Again, thanks. 

29 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Okay. Personal email is sent. Again, thanks. 

No problem. Hope it works out for you. 

I still hope to build mine someday. I'd have already built it if it were a 185 instead of a 180. I might still do the conversion yet. I built at least one, maybe two of these as a kid and would love to do it again. Gonna do a Tri-Pacer, too, and hopefully convert another one to a taildragger Pacer. 

Got a Hobby Lobby gift certificate (among other things) from my parents. Went there today.

Somebody is still buying models. The shelves were pretty empty. I couldn't find a car model I really wanted, so I finally bought the AMT Star Trek original series Enterprise I have been wanting since it came out again. Still doesn't have the red lights in the nacelles like the original one I had in what, 68 or so, but same otherwise. It's the one in the fancy outer box that talks about the 50th anniversary, but has the old model box inside. $24.64 out the door after the 40% off coupon. BTW the 20%off sale is over. Yay!

So I still have enough on the gift card to buy a car model once they restock.

Of course, this is just going to be stuck in the stash with all the others waiting for that "someday when I feel like building again" to arrive. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Russ

1 hour ago, JollySipper said:

Hey, Bill...... what distant Planet are you stripping of it's resources with the mining equipment and space rockets?

:D

Reminds me of one of my favorite T-shirts: B)

EARTH FIRST!

We'll strip-mine the other planets later.

9 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Wernher von Braun, he aimed for the stars (but sometimes hit London by accident).

In all fairness, von Braun had been one of the leaders in rocketry well before the Nastis realized they were potential weapons. Von Braun, of course, had no option but to work for the government in his expert capacity, but he did so reluctantly and thought they were all a bunch of strutting fools.

I wonder how many folks here would willingly face a firing squad if they were to refuse to help a war effort they didn't believe in.

9 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

In all fairness, von Braun had been one of the leaders in rocketry well before the Nastis realized they were potential weapons. Von Braun, of course, had no option but to work for the government in his expert capacity, but he did so reluctantly and thought they were all a bunch of strutting fools.

I wonder how many folks here would willingly face a firing squad if they were to refuse to help a war effort they didn't believe in.

True. He was a "party member" but basically what would be called today a NINO. :lol:

This old gal just came in.  Saw her on eBay for a very good price with free shipping. 

It's hard to believe, but this kit is nearly 50 years old, first released in 1970 as the "Russian Spy Fishing Trawler Volga." The kit I bought is probably an original issue, with a 1970 copyright on the box and instructions.  The pic below was stolen from Mr. Google.  I always loved that dramatic, red-sky box art with smoke pouring from the funnel and flocks of hungry sea-birds circling overhead.  (But no visible fishing nets, which seems sort of strange.)

I guess it's only fitting that a spy ship should be incognito.  The real basic ship is not Russian but a standard North Sea fishing trawler. Revell has also released it as such; as the fishing trawler "Kandahar" in 1972, "Arctic Huntress" in 1973 and "Arctic Corsair" in 1998.  I think the last issue as a Russian spy ship was in the 1992 SSP program.

Revell has never listed a scale for this kit. The box just says "Full 14 1/4 inches long!"  According to several Internet experts, it scales out at around 1:142 scale.  Very close to 1:144, so figures etc. in that scale should work.  The kit comes with two little spies...er, fishermen dressed in foul-weather gear. 

One detail I might add is some antennas and radar gear.  Back in the 1960s/70s, among other jobs, these ships were tracking U.S. missile launches. So they would be loaded down with top-secret electronic stuff.  These ships also seemed to always look beat-up, rusty and weathered, which should be a lot of fun to duplicate.

volga.jpg

Edited by Mike999
error2

And some people say there are no more bargains on eBay!  Just a few minutes ago in "Ending Soonest," I saw this kit.  It had 1 bid on it and less than 1 minute until the auction ended.  I bid, expecting to get sniped in the last few seconds.

Nope, I won it for $12.50 +  $9.85 shipping, for a total of $22.35.  The kit retails for $74.98, and online vendors usually charge $50-60 for it.  It can be bought on eBay for about $40, usually from China with a high shipping price.  The seller has a lot of good feedback, so it seems legit.  I've wanted one of these for a while, but didn't want to pay those prices.

The name on the box makes me wonder if Russian companies are starting up with licensing fees. The kit name is the generic "Soviet Six-Wheel Army Truck."  In real life, it's a KamAZ-4310. I just have a thing for these big, ugly Russian trucks.  They're fun to weather, and to fill up the bed with cargo.

icm35001.jpg

On 12/23/2018 at 9:19 PM, Snake45 said:

No problem. Hope it works out for you. 

I still hope to build mine someday. I'd have already built it if it were a 185 instead of a 180. I might still do the conversion yet. I built at least one, maybe two of these as a kid and would love to do it again. Gonna do a Tri-Pacer, too, and hopefully convert another one to a taildragger Pacer. 

Thank you Snake. Guess what I got in the mail today?! The Cessna 180 floatplane I've been wanting. The guy, Tracy, you put me touch with, was great to deal with. His price was very fair. He shipped it fast. And what he sent me was better than I expected from his description. Especially the shape of the old kit box it came in. I definitely have nothing I can complain about. I'm as happy as one could be. Again, thanks Snake.

IMG_3207.JPG

IMG_3208.JPG

20 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Thank you Snake. Guess what I got in the mail today?! The Cessna 180 floatplane I've been wanting. The guy, Tracy, you put me touch with, was great to deal with. His price was very fair. He shipped it fast. And what he sent me was better than I expected from his description. Especially the shape of the old kit box it came in. I definitely have nothing I can complain about. I'm as happy as one could be. Again, thanks Snake.

IMG_3208.JPG

Glad to hear it worked out for you, and wow that looks like an original, not the SSP reissue! WELL worth what he wanted for it! 

And hey, if we can't help each other out once in a while, why are we here? Last year I learned from Gramps46 you could get some great Welly diecasts at Rite Aid stores for just ten bucks, and this week I bought another one--I think it was about my sixth since August. Just today the UPS man brought me a great book I'd never heard of until 1972Coronet mentioned it here. B)

38 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Glad to hear it worked out for you, and wow that looks like an original, not the SSP reissue! WELL worth what he wanted for it! 

And hey, if we can't help each other out once in a while, why are we here? Last year I learned from Gramps46 you could get some great Welly diecasts at Rite Aid stores for just ten bucks, and this week I bought another one--I think it was about my sixth since August. Just today the UPS man brought me a great book I'd never heard of until 1972Coronet mentioned it here. B)

Looking at the box and the contents, I'm pretty sure this is an original. "Copyright 1957 Monogram Models, Inc. Chicago 32" marked on the box. Even has a small catalog showing the kits available from Monogram at the time. Kit PC13 ($2.49) "Cadillac '56 Series 62 Convertible. With figures, chrome plated grill and bumpers." is the newest car shown in that catalog. They also list "Speedee-Bilt" Plastic and Balsa flying kits in there. And indicate that kits "PM24 - 98c, "Weasel" amphibious cargo carrier." and "PM 25 98c Piper Tri-Pacer. " will both be "Available Aug. 1, 1957". So I'm guessing this is a genuine, vintage kit. 

45 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Looking at the box and the contents, I'm pretty sure this is an original. "Copyright 1957 Monogram Models, Inc. Chicago 32" marked on the box. Even has a small catalog showing the kits available from Monogram at the time. Kit PC13 ($2.49) "Cadillac '56 Series 62 Convertible. With figures, chrome plated grill and bumpers." is the newest car shown in that catalog. They also list "Speedee-Bilt" Plastic and Balsa flying kits in there. And indicate that kits "PM24 - 98c, "Weasel" amphibious cargo carrier." and "PM 25 98c Piper Tri-Pacer. " will both be "Available Aug. 1, 1957". So I'm guessing this is a genuine, vintage kit. 

Yah, seeing that little brochure in the plastic bag is what tipped me off. Even I don't have one that old, though I do have several of them from the mid-'60s. B)

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. I can now build Bill Bixby, the "Magician" airplane the Sprirt. As one can see, I bought Roden's1:144 scale Boeing 720 Starship One. Kit #314. One of four variations in Roden's Music Series Boeing 720s. Two representing two different paint schemes for the Boeing 720, N7201U, the Starship One. The other two representing Boeing 720, N7224U, 'Caesar's Chariot' in two different paint schemes. 

It looks like a great kit. The parts are molded sharp and crisp. No flash what so ever. The instructions are great. They give a good history on the 720 series in general and Starship One itself. Though no mention is made of it's use in the Magician. There is also a great seperate sheet, in color, showing the paint instructions and decal placement. And the decals look very good too. Overall, I'm impressed. 

To hopefully to make this a little easier to build, I also bought a Montez Mini Mask set designed for this kit. It contains masks for all the windows. Most importantly the windshields. It also has masks for wheels/tires. Why, I'm not sure? I wish they made a mask that could help with painting the downward slope of the paint on the nose. To me, that looks like it maybe the trickiest part of building with kit. 

Now I need to find a '73 (pilot episode/TV movie) or '74 (series) Corvette to display the plane. The Magician. Still one of the coolest TV shows ever. 

IMG_3210.JPG

IMG_3211.JPG

IMG_3212.JPG

IMG_3213.JPG

Edited by unclescott58

10 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Now I need to find a '73 (pilot episode/TV movie) or '74 (series) Corvette to display the plane. The Magician. Still one of the coolest TV shows ever. 

If the '74 was a roadster, you can use a common MPC '75 reissue. Ollies just closed them out at $10 a pop. A coupe will be a bit harder to find. 

'73 Vettes of any kind--AMT or MPC, roadster or coupe--are fairly rare and spendy these days. If working from an old glue bomb, the MPC would be easier to work with as parts could be sourced from the aforementioned '75 Roadster kit. AMT parts of that vintage are MUCH harder to find. Took me several years to find a '73 hood and front bumper to restore one. 

16 hours ago, Snake45 said:

If the '74 was a roadster, you can use a common MPC '75 reissue. Ollies just closed them out at $10 a pop. A coupe will be a bit harder to find. 

'73 Vettes of any kind--AMT or MPC, roadster or coupe--are fairly rare and spendy these days. If working from an old glue bomb, the MPC would be easier to work with as parts could be sourced from the aforementioned '75 Roadster kit. AMT parts of that vintage are MUCH harder to find. Took me several years to find a '73 hood and front bumper to restore one. 

I'm in really no rush to find the Magician's Corvette. If I was, I think I be leaning toward a '74, even though I like the chrome rear bumpered '73s better. But, since the '74 was the one mainly used in the series. I'd also lean towards the MPC kit, rather the old AMT version. Restoration parts availability from the MPC '75 wound be one reason. The other? From what I remember, the MPC Corvettes from this time period were better kits than the AMT kits. 

By the way. I know that for several years MPC offered their C-3 Corvette kits in both 1/25 and 1/20 scale. Did they do this with the '73 or '74 coupes? It might be fun to build the larger version to display with the Magician's plane. 

Edited by unclescott58

You must be a glutton for punishment. I have that Lindberg F-94 and it's one of the worst model airplane kits I've ever seen. I've never owned their F-80 but it's of similar vintage; I've seen photos of built ones which kept me from ever buying it. 

I might or might not have the Winnie Mae in my collection, can't remember, but I know I've never built one. I have seen these built up into fairly nice models, though, so I'm not as down on that one, though I think I'd rather build the AMT kit of that airplane. 

Next time you get tempted to buy any of this old Lindberg stuff, ask me first. I can probably save you some money. BTW, I love old kits and retro/nostalgia modeling, and have actually built a few of the old Lindbergs, but some of them are just unredeemable wretched backbirths. B)

15 hours ago, Snake45 said:

You must be a glutton for punishment. I have that Lindberg F-94 and it's one of the worst model airplane kits I've ever seen. I've never owned their F-80 but it's of similar vintage; I've seen photos of built ones which kept me from ever buying it. 

I might or might not have the Winnie Mae in my collection, can't remember, but I know I've never built one. I have seen these built up into fairly nice models, though, so I'm not as down on that one, though I think I'd rather build the AMT kit of that airplane. 

Next time you get tempted to buy any of this old Lindberg stuff, ask me first. I can probably save you some money. BTW, I love old kits and retro/nostalgia modeling, and have actually built a few of the old Lindbergs, but some of them are just unredeemable wretched backbirths. B)

Believe it or not, I have the old Esci/Ertl release of the AMT Winnie Mae. Doing some basic subassembly work and comparing the two, I'm surprised how nice the Lindberg version is. In fact, looking at the two together, I'm not sure which one I like better. The Lindberg Winnie Mae is that nice. 

I've never owned the Lindberg F-80C or F-94C up to this point. Or anybody's else's F-80 or F-94 plastic kits. I do have a very nice, but small, prebuilt die-cast F-80 in my collection. I love the looks of early jet fighters. And I knew the Lindberg kits may not the best. But, sometimes I like the simple crudeness of those early plastic kits from the mid-to-late 50's. I have not opened the bags inside the box and started doing any work on either kit yet. They do look a little rude and crude from what I'm seeing. Not as nice Lindberg's Winnie. Still, I'm happy with the choice. Will I be happy after I build them? More than likely l will. But if not, I do know that other companies offer nice kits of the  F-80. The one I'm mainly interested in in this case. In the meantime, I'll have no regrets. 

IMG_3217.JPG

IMG_3218.JPG

Edited by unclescott58