Model Cars Magazine Forum

1933 Duesenberg Boattail

Harry P.

I agree with Art. Most of the cars I have seen and driven are over-restored. The one I drive the most was almost all original until we went through the car about 5 years ago. It had that funny bakelite type of steering wheel that was flat black and made my hands smell weird.

I would be more bothered by the wipers than the steering wheel. I like the gold a lot better with the white than when it was looking like it would be all gold. I can't wait to see the end product. Keep on keeping on.

I, as others have mentioned, am amazed how fast you can build models. I am very lucky to get one out per year.

I experienced that with my uncle's Ford 8N tractor that I drove during the haying as a kid. I used to smell the steering wheel. Loved it.

Great looking car and model, interesting color combinations and quite in tone with the era of these beautiful cars in which the wealthy owner commissioning his exclusive car wanted to make a statement with equally unique and personal paint work.

I have this same kit, a note of interest is that the original car had a siren in the front of the car, one of the former owners was a chief of fire dept or something similar.

Also of interest is that when I got the Entex boattail I also got the 1/16 Bugatti Coupe Napoleon...at the time....an EXACT repop of the original out of production Entex offering...the price was so good I hesitate at first thinking it could be a scam.. $39.99 INCLUDING shipping. ..but ...it was true and got the model. I haven't seen any other of the old original Entex 1/16 repops under the one used for the Bugatti, unfortunately. ..will love to have the Packard and all the others.

Great looking car and model, interesting color combinations and quite in tone with the era of these beautiful cars in which the wealthy owner commissioning his exclusive car wanted to make a statement with equally unique and personal paint work.

I have this same kit, a note of interest is that the original car had a siren in the front of the car, one of the former owners was a chief of fire dept or something similar.

Also of interest is that when I got the Entex boattail I also got the 1/16 Bugatti Coupe Napoleon...at the time....an EXACT repop of the original out of production Entex offering...the price was so good I hesitate at first thinking it could be a scam.. $39.99 INCLUDING shipping. ..but ...it was true and got the model. I haven't seen any other of the old original Entex 1/16 repops under the one used for the Bugatti, unfortunately. ..will love to have the Packard and all the others.

I think all of the 1/16 Bugatti coupes are the same (Royale Coupe de Ville), regardless of the label. Most of the 1/16 classics sold by Entex were original with other companies and reissued by others as well -- Gunze Sangyo, Academy/Minicraft, Fuman/Bandai, Anmark, a few Revell boxings, etc., etc.

Edited by sjordan2

There are so many classic early cars they could re-release, especially in the 1/16 scale

I bought this kit Christmas eve $94 CAD....hope to do it up to near Harry's calibre

I suspect, Harry, that you've sold more models than anyone else on this forum. I know that I've shopped ebay for every kit that you've built. I haven't purchased any of the kits that you've built, but I did buy the '57 T-bird when I stumbled across it during one of those searches.

I love your builds and tutorials!!!!

I suspect, Harry, that you've sold more models than anyone else on this forum. I know that I've shopped ebay for every kit that you've built. I haven't purchased any of the kits that you've built, but I did buy the '57 T-bird when I stumbled across it during one of those searches.

I love your builds and tutorials!!!!

Sold? I've never sold a kit. Ever,

Sold? I've never sold a kit. Ever,

I didn't mean that you literally sold models...just that your cool threads get serious builders and wanna-be's like me thinking about the kits you are building. I often look up the kit that you are building to see if it is listed on ebay, see if there are pictures of the sprues, if there are other versions of the kit, etc. The last time that I looked up a kit that you were building, I actually bought a different model.

Your builds are great for the hobby. You are spurring others to buy, so in essence, you are 'selling' models. See what I mean, friend?

I didn't mean that you literally sold models...just that your cool threads get serious builders and wanna-be's like me thinking about the kits you are building. I often look up the kit that you are building to see if it is listed on ebay, see if there are pictures of the sprues, if there are other versions of the kit, etc. The last time that I looked up a kit that you were building, I actually bought a different model.

Your builds are great for the hobby. You are spurring others to buy, so in essence, you are 'selling' models. See what I mean, friend?

Oh, ok, I get you. Sorry... I totally misunderstood what you meant.

Stunning build Harry....I'd love to see you do a 1/16th scale Bugatti I could use your build as reference pics for mine.... :lol:

Cheers, Ian

The only 1/16 Bugatti I know of is the Royale Coupe de Ville, sold on different labels. On the other hand, there is a supposedly 1:18 Grand Prix T59 racer kit from Bburago with a die cast body, which actually closer to 1:15. You'd have to get aftermarket piano wire wheels, but I can supply you with a lot of reference material.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my kit yesterday, it will sit in the waiting line for a while I am afraid, but it looks like a beautiful kit.

You are absolutely correct about how dark blue the body plastic is...that will be fun to prime and paint over!!

Your kit is a masterpiece Harry and I would take it as a compliment that your work "sells" or better yet, inspires other to make one.

I have a current fixation for older iconic cars of this era with Ralph Lauren's collection of vehicles being a bit of an inspiration for me as well.

There is a limited number of these gorgeous cars in larger scale models, so we all make the same models

All the best, Scott