Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run 2015 " The Sleeperball"

wagonmaster

the Datto is back on the bench I still have to get styrene for the interior but I thought I could work on other things so I tried some things in the back eventually came to really like this hydraulic arm in the back I will add a couple of other things as well I think have also come up with the final colour which is a combo of white and surface rust :D
DSCN0638_zpsx8cfodln.jpg
DSCN0636_zpsdbi6kj50.jpg
DSCN0639_zpswkvkbx8w.jpg

The Ferrari went to mock up stage this morning to figure what's next. Engine is wired and wheels are painted aluminum and fit well. It looks like the hood hinges need adjustment to clear the fan belt .. hopefully just some bending of the hoops. Everything needs washing and aging and decades of neglect and miss use. I wish this was a steel body car so I could rust up to show some signs of neglect. The aluminum body is going to be tough to abuse ... maybe a story of replacement steel fenders, nut there seem to be no body seams on this car!

Ferrari%20GTO%20Mock%20Up%20DSC_1600_zps

Ferrari%20GTO%20Mock%20Up%20DSC_1601_zps

Ferrari%20GTO%20Mock%20Up%20DSC_1602_zps

Ferrari%20GTO%20Mock%20Up%20DSC_1603_zps

Ferrari%20GTO%20Mock%20Up%20DSC_1604_zps

Ferrari%20GTO%20Mock%20Up%20DSC_1605_zps

Edited by Foxer

Aside from whatever detail parts my sleep-starved brain comes up with tomorrow, all that's left on the Scout is a couple decals for the windshield, and to install the gas tank and headlights. No more updates here: it'll be in Glass tomorrow night.

*edit* Lost the headlights, installed all details and decaled fully. Glass topic up around 4pm today.

Edited by chunkypeanutbutter

Lotsa work has been done! Thanks, Tom, for the hood, tire, and extras! :)

Happy to help Miles! I'm glad I sent it to you since you immediately put it to use! Sometimes when you send parts to the adults on the board you never even know they received them! :o

hi Guys, bit late on last months update, just got my laptop back, got the heads and a rockercover done and have started the inlet manifold. i'll get some pics up when i get my camera reinstalled.

Been working around a very busy schedule, but I have managed to make a lot of progress.

I had the body painted in Tamiya "Wooden deck tan", but it came out very close to the interior which is Tamiya "Desert Yellow". It has the bland combo I was going for, but after seeing it in person it was actually pretty ugly. Unfortunately when I cleared it with Alclad Clear Coat it all went wrong. The Alclad looked like it needed thinning, I added only a small amount of lacquer thinner, and after spraying it ran like water. Ruined the paint job and ended up in the oven cleaner booth.

photo%2015_zpszko101ed.jpg

The interior is now finished. Completely box stock except for the addition of a boost and AFR gauge in the center console. Looks fairly stock as the 1:1 has a clock there. I replaced the shift lever with some metal wire, and replaced the pedal linkage with wire as well. I didn't get any good shots of the assembled dash with the center console and dash pad, will snap them before final assembly.

photo%2013_zpsexuluggf.jpg

photo%2014_zpsdweg5yzc.jpg

photo%2016_zpslvwsltot.jpg

Test fit in the now stripped body. The hood is the color the body was before stripping.

photo%2018_zps0yncrapt.jpg

The chassis assembly is complete. I lowered the suspension about 1" and sanded off the molded coils and made some new ones from metal wire. I added some raised front mounts to the rear axle to help keep it flat after the drop. Keep in mind there will be a 3" downpipe with a solenoid actuated dump valve behind the engine. The stock exhaust would be used during normal driving to keep it quiet. Still need to touch up some paint and add some washes.

photo%2020_zpswzk1lhpc.jpg

Lastly the engine went into paint. I used a mix of buffing metalizers for the various shades. The valve cover will be getting a flat red wrinkle finish. Nothing is actually glued in place yet. Had to cut the starter off to help smooth some seams in the 3 piece transmission. Will be scratching a new one. I'm really happy with it so far. Many more details to come.

photo%2019_zps4chq4vhs.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Cool Rabbit! I hadn't seen one of these in years until a week or so ago. I saw a 4 door version (later model with the square sidelights) riding on a trailer behind a pickup. It was in poor shape, so I imagine it was on it's way to a restoration. At least I hoped so!

1C64E0EC-9D50-4CD4-8945-61C1815B57E5_zps

96258F64-DDFE-414B-A890-127EDFC1F1AF_zps

I just got done with my latest painting that took a little longer that expected.(I have it posted in the auto art section) so I just started working on mine. I opened the hood and the hatch and built a hinge for it. The front engine is also in place and I got the rims that I want to use. They are 15in rs Watanabe's.

Sorry for the failed paint Job @Brandon. But a primerd look would be cool to ;)

To give an Information to my Mini:

Body and Chassis are together. Front axle nearly fitted, rear axle is done. The engin got it's color and is ready to move into it's place.

post-14847-0-82956700-1431071564_thumb.j

Mpf... The distributor, exhaust ... are already painted.

Edited by christian-w

Oh, question: do the models have to have underside detail? I was thinking of stuffing huge engines into some smaller cars, like a V8 Beetle, but the underside would be quite complicated to do realistically.

Traditionally the Cannonball community builds have leaned more towards mechanically possible builds. But this is more due to the builders and their personal standards, than any written and recognized rule. I don't see an issue with what you want to do, but remember there is a builders poll at the end of this, and something cartoony or mechanically impossible would likely not get much attention from the voters.

But if you want a final vote, contact Wagonmaster who's running the CBP this year and get his position.