Model Cars Magazine Forum

My first WIP here; '70 Dodge Challenger T/A, Parts

Roadrunner

In retrospect, I really wish I'd painted all of this before attaching to car...

I'm guessing attaching them before paint stems from being primarily an aircraft modeller? Kind of like using NATO black earlier in the build. I never even heard of NATO colors until I started building planes. ;)

Regardless, it's really looking great so far.

I'm guessing attaching them before paint stems from being primarily an aircraft modeller? Kind of like using NATO black earlier in the build. I never even heard of NATO colors until I started building planes. ;)

Regardless, it's really looking great so far.

Pretty much, yes. I've been building aircraft models for years now, and just recently decided to dive back into cars. And thank you. For my first car project in two decades, I'm very pleased with the way it's coming along.

Reckon you can get your hands on the old car when you're finished and do a side-by-side photo set? Would be great to see the difference in build finish twenty years apart!

I think that's probably doable. He only lives a couple of miles from here.

Slight change in plans here. Since the rest of the car is 100% stock (except the color), I've decided to also use a stock hood. Here it is getting prepped for paint. It also appears that there's little chance I'll have this finished by the 3rd as intended, and even if it were, as it turns out, I can't go anyway. Just another disappointment in a long string of disappointments.

hood_zpstzzueusb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well it's obvious that I haven't visited this thread in a while, but thanks for checking in. I've been spending most of my modeling time lately, working on a big (1:6 scale) Flak gun (here), so have had little time to devote to the Challenger. I also got temporarily distracted by my then newly acquired '32 Vicky, and was going along like gangbusters on that, until I completely ruined the paint job, and abandoned it too, at least for a while.

Photo of the Vic', before I trashed it.

cc%201%20004_zpstqauhpse.jpg

I just recently (very recently) ordered some more Testors lacquers for upcoming projects, but have a feeling that the Diamond Dust is going to be a real letdown. Not until after I had ordered it, did I do a search for the color as applied, and am not too thrilled with what I've seen so far.