Model Cars Magazine Forum

My first WIP here; '70 Dodge Challenger T/A, Parts

Roadrunner

While I was already painting something else, I went ahead and sprayed the rear end black, as I had forgotten to do it before. The black I'm using may have become contaminated; airbrush is spitting out tiny blobs of crud that are marring the overall smoothness. I may strip this and redo it.

fe%20009_zpszzjmawzm.jpg

Keep it going Kevin! The body is looking great! Nice work on the dash too.

Odd thing about the interior, the rear window cranks could not possibly rotate 360°, as they'd bang into the trim pieces. Also, several key items have been omitted entirely; ignition, turn signal lever, hood release, and emergency brake, let alone attachment points for front seat safety belts. I'll probably add all that to my next T/A, but I won't bother on this one.

Odd thing about the interior, the rear window cranks could not possibly rotate 360°, as they'd bang into the trim pieces. Also, several key items have been omitted entirely; ignition, turn signal lever, hood release, and emergency brake, let alone attachment points for front seat safety belts. I'll probably add all that to my next T/A, but I won't bother on this one.

Now you are just getting finicky! lol... All those things that wouldn't have mattered back in the young days but now we think 'hey, I can do that!'

You're nearing the home stretch dude. Looking forward to seeing the finished result.

Thanks for the input, fellas. The work continues at my usual snails pace. Now that Easter dinner has come and gone, the dining room table (my "bench") is available again, so I'm chroming this baby. (I'd forgotten what a pain in the neck BMF can be.)

chro%20005_zpsx7evsqi9.jpg

That BMF job looks good there Kevin. The trick I was told from here for washes in the automotive realm is to go with a wash that's the color of the paint you are using that's a couple of shades darker. Yeah , like you, I figured that stuff out real quick on the use of washes in the sense that we are used to.

Edited by mustang1989

While cruising through some old photo albums, looking for something else, I stumbled upon these; photos of the last Challenger I built, probably 20 years ago or thereabouts. I found it interesting that I used the "custom" wheels, and R/T spoiler, as I had completely forgotten that. Kit was given to a neighbor several months ago, and it had been bothering me that I apparently had no photos of it, as I routinely photo everything. I also found (in the same album), photos of my '29 Ford pickup, that I'd also forgotten about.

oldies%20001_zpsdxzhpfer.jpg

That color looks sweet! Great looking older build.

Between you and Joe, you're making me want to dig my Challenger out of the stash and go back to work on it. I finished mine in Panther Pink, but screwed up the clear coat and put it aside in disgust. Fifteen years ago... <_<

• Like 1

This one has not been without it's problems, Jeremy. I've mangled the stock wheels beyond repair, so have to grab another kit to finish this one. Also, owing to damp hands I guess, a small piece of the passenger side decal stripped off, and has disappeared.

Needin' some wheels Kevin?

Oh yes, but I'll be grabbing another kit in the not too distant future anyway (I hope). If I cannot get another kit in time, I may just slap the custom wheels on it, and live with the screwed up decal for the contest.

Well for all the issues you've had with it Kevin, it's really coming out nice. I haven't worked on a model yet that hasn't had it's share of issues at some point. I just chalk it up as part of the fun we call model building lol. Keep at my friend. It's already looking top notch from what I see in your pic posts.

Thanks very much, Jim. This model should pose no real problems for someone that's knocked out a few cars, but I tend to take the long way around the park sometimes, adding unnecessarily to my own problems. Adding the decals as early as I did, was a typical "I can't wait" sort of silly approach. I knew it was a bad idea, but went ahead and did it anyway.

I knew it was a bad idea, but went ahead and did it anyway.

It used to happen to me all the time. I've managed to hold my horses on most things because my "froggyness" has gotten me in trouble more than I care to admit but I still flub up from time to time with that. But hey, that's modeling. lol

Playing with the front end some more. This is still not quite right, but certainly an improvement over where I'd been before. In retrospect, I really wish I'd painted all of this before attaching to car, and I certainly will on the next one. Paint is already chipping off the spoilers, and that's the reason for not painting them black yet.

fe%202%20001_zps9r4dloja.jpg