Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's Everyone Profession,etc..job,

stanleymsn

I am a blood-sucking leach, otherwise known as a TV journalist. I don't appear on TV, I just shoot the pictures you watch and go... "Why the heck did they put that on???" :blink:

Job can be fun... Flying in the helicopter chasing tornaders, getting to do my special series on WW2 vets and their stories. Why yesterday, I shot the Clinton formally known as President and got away with it :) . Job can be #@$%@$#^@^@!!!! Like today, standing on the side of the road with my camera so we can show you what snow looks like... getting called out a 2 am for housefires etc... I gotta find a new job. :blink:

I used to do drywall and residential and commercial painting. Then I went to school to be an autobody tech. Worked in a collision shop, high end restoration shop, and now I work in the paint shop at Pierce Manufacturing where we make custom(not kustom) fire trucks. I also do a few commission builds and paint smaller things;motorcycles, gas pumps, mailboxes, what have you, in my one car garage, on the side.

These days I'm a staff Engineer responsible for developing the business processes and training material for our Engineering groups. Before that I spent about 20 years in various aspects of corporate and supplier quality management in the semiconductor business. It's not very exciting or automotive related, but it pays well.

But, before that...I was a professional bodyman for 10 years and did side jobs for another 20 years after that up until about 3 years ago... Now I keep my bodyman skills sharp by carving on plastic models. :lol::lol:

I work at Custom Wire Industries. I make coaxial cable terminations for all kinds of coax cable from large diameter stuff to the rigid coax which is at .037 Outside Diameter. I'm currently involved with making stuff to help armed forces detect and render IEDs in-operative in the field. I also do receiving and inspecting. I am the bane of any engineering staff at any company we do work for. I am the one that calls them and says "Are you nuts? We can't build this as designed". I've been at this company since 1991. I also create auto art at car shows for extra money and I don't even have to sell myself anymore, people come up to me as soon as my car shows up at the show wanting drawings. When I get the scanner up, I will post some. I'm no Jairus, but I hold my own. I also have a small DJ service. I only do car shows and similar events...mostly for charity, so I keep the rates quite low.

I work at Custom Wire Industries. I make coaxial cable terminations for all kinds of coax cable from large diameter stuff to the rigid coax which is at .037 Outside Diameter. I'm currently involved with making stuff to help armed forces detect and render IEDs in-operative in the field. I also do receiving and inspecting. I am the bane of any engineering staff at any company we do work for. I am the one that calls them and says "Are you nuts? We can't build this as designed". I've been at this company since 1991. I also create auto art at car shows for extra money and I don't even have to sell myself anymore, people come up to me as soon as my car shows up at the show wanting drawings. When I get the scanner up, I will post some. I'm no Jairus, but I hold my own. I also have a small DJ service. I only do car shows and similar events...mostly for charity, so I keep the rates quite low.

free detail wire for u then :lol:

I cut, fabricate and install custom granite, marble, travertine, etc. stone countertops and stuff.....

I run hoes....

As in: a Caterpillar 320 excavator, at a hazardous waste transfer station. :lol:

Previously, I have worked removing furnace oil tanks, fabbed and shipped Furnace & A/C filters, making incense, beachcombed, apprenticed as a tool grinder, cut cable for industrial and residential electricians, and a bunch of other (some even odder) jobs over the years...

This topic is what a day old, and already four pages?

This is the kind of stuff I love to see!

It really brings out the ohana in what MCM is.

One of the best things about doing the mag is that I have been blessed with so many friends from around the world.

There probably isn't a city on this planet that I wouldn't be welcomed into someone's home.

It is the true reward for the past ten years of pain, suffering, growth, adventure, heartaches, pitfalls, bouts of depression, and over 250K miles of driving!!!

That's not including flying, my friends!!!!

Plus, with seeing over - and this will be a low-ball guess - 65,000 models, this has been nothing short of amazing!

The joy is getting to know each and every one of you.

What I really love seeing is the look on someone's face when I remember them, maybe only after meeting them once, say four or five years ago.

I pride myself on my memory, although I am human (somewhat), and do make mistakes, the best I can do is what I have to give to others. This is not about making tons of money, being rich or famous, but about the hobby. Every one of us has a full time job or source of income. This is our hobby. And getting to know what makes us all "tick" really brings us all together.

So shut up, Gregg, what do you do?

NOTHING!!!!!!

Nutin' special!!!!

Im just 18 years old (in March) so im still at school, mech school that is, in 2,5 years ill be a certified bodyworksman.

It was my first choice due to cars is all i know, and since i allready knew how to fix the mechanical bits, why not learn to fix the sheetmetal aswell? :lol:

Hoping to have a custom shop in California one day tho.

Thx for reading

I am a meat cutter, I cut for a fairly small store, which has a reputation for having the best meat in town. We even have hunters who come from the states, and stop in on the way up north. At the moment I am also "acting produce manager" at the same store, as our manager left. I was offered the job, but due to issues with owners, which I will not go into details, I turned it down.

I am on a waiting list to get into school for my autobody technician, which is what I really want to do.

Mike, I would follow your dreams.

I had a body shop on Maui for a few years.

Had two cars on the covers of national mags.

A body shop is cool, can be good money, but you have to create your own niche in this mega-million dollar world of cars.

I guess it depends on what you want from it.

A steady paycheck, or a spot on the Vegas CC at the SEMA show :-)

I did work full time for a year in a big box store. but I hated it. so know I'm back in school finishing my degree in architectural computer aided drafting. I still work part time for the big box store. but I'm not getting any hours and I don't think I'll be there much longer

Unfortunatly, for reasons I'd really rather not disguss, I'm permanently disabled. It really stinks because I'm only 23 yet the problems I have will be there for the rest of my life :lol:

In fact the past week I've spent the majority of it laying in bed watching DVDs and sleeping, because I wasn't able to do anything else.

I've found I really enjoy photography and I've submitted photos to several magazines-Model Cars being one (the other being Birds & Blooms, but they didn't use it or even respond to me!) and I also enjoy writing. Thus my constant posts on various message boards...I sit at the computer as long as I can until I can't bear it any more and have to stretch out. I'm currently in the early stages of writing a book about NASCAR too, but knowing me I won't ever finish it, and then getting liscenced and published is a whole 'nother topic that I don't even know how to break into. I do both of those for fun and don't even concern myself with if they pay or not-it's one of the relativley few things I can do without issue and so I revel in it...or, perhaps for the model car photography, Revell in it.. :lol: That's not really a profession though...considering I don't get paid and only do it occasionally!

Just a disclaimer: If I'm ever rude to anybody at model shows, or forget who they are after meeting them a few minutes ago or have known them for years, it's not my fault-I'm on so much pain medication I'm kind of in a stupor :lol:

If it were not for the problems, I was on the path for something in the car industry-most likely mecahnic. I've always wanted to be a race car driver too, but I know it'll never happen. The other option open to me was astronomy, but again, it became impossible.

My formal training was in accounting.....boring! No, I mean REALLY BORING!! After a few years in public accounting, I ended up as a Controller/General Manager of a large auto dealer group...my responsiblity was the Chrysler Dodge Jeep...Mazda...and Infiniti stores of the group of 23 franchises. After 30 years in the business, and 15 at the last group, I took over and now own an advertising agency. We currently do mainly automotive clients, but I am moving us out into the broader field of retail and business-to-business. We write, produce and traffic, print, radio and TV spots and now are moving more heavily into the Internet. Our newest product is what we call...V-Mail. We can send out blast E Mails that have video messeges within that are hosted on our server and play thru a media player on the receipants computer. It is really pretty neat. Businesses can show off their products and services to potential customers with music, video and the spoken word, rather then just an e mail that must be read. Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a sales pitch....I can't help myself...it is what I do all day long. You know...in business, it is "sell or die". Hobbies are, obviously model cars, oil painting, pen and ink drawing, golf...oh, to play golf every day would be the life.

I've been a professional sign painter for over 30 years...........My love for cars and models started when I was 10 (now 50) I taught myself the trade and the business end as well............I carved a nice little market in the race car lettering business since high school. I'm the happiest when there are race cars in the shop but I can build and install any kind of sign. I'm an expert at Gold Leaf and hand lettering although my shop keeps updating with computerized equipment to stay competetive in the commercial market............I'm at the shop every day(except when at the drags) Please feel free to visit my website which includes a model car page www.dansignman.com .........I totally enjoy both my choosen career and the model car hobby...wish I had more time for it but it doesn't stop me from buying 'em.....Have fun building , I admire all the great builds here. Dan the SignMan