Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monroe Handler/California Cobra Mustang ll

cobraman

Not sure which kit this was but since they were the same it really doesn't matter. Bought this at a good price on ebay. It has been started and is missing some parts but I thought I would try and save it. Not as bad as some of the glue bombs some of you have tackled. I'm molding on the front end as a first

step. I will for sure replacing the crummy 2 piece tires and the wheels. May perhaps change the engine as well. It is missing some parts so if anyone has window glass and or a firewall for either of these kits I would be happy to do a swap for something.

califcobra001_zps788897c6.jpg

califcobra002_zpscb10934e.jpg

califcobra003_zps2a9379dc.jpg

I may have a spare of both...... working on 3 versions of this kit

one yellow monroe handler, one in white, a custom version in light blue and a parts car i may be able to make a 4th from.......

pm me what types of things you mite have of interest to trade we can work something up i've got he firewall and glass

Making some headway on this rebuild. I got lucky in so much as very little was really glued or painted but it is missing a few parts. One of our friends here has what I need the most ( glass and firewall ) and we worked out a trade . I have mocked up what I have right now. I need to try and lower it some more. The engine is from the Thunderbolt kit. Have not thought about a paint color yet so any suggestions would be welcome.

gottodayandmockup002_zps4db3d025.jpg

gottodayandmockup003_zps1663dacf.jpg

Making some headway on this rebuild. I got lucky in so much as very little was really glued or painted but it is missing a few parts. One of our friends here has what I need the most ( glass and firewall ) and we worked out a trade . I have mocked up what I have right now. I need to try and lower it some more. The engine is from the Thunderbolt kit. Have not thought about a paint color yet so any suggestions would be welcome.

gottodayandmockup002_zps4db3d025.jpg

gottodayandmockup003_zps1663dacf.jpg

in the pic it looks like the firewall is part of the body ray by firewall are you meaning the front radiator shell? which i don't see in the pic..... nice mach up work so far

I think he's installed the firewall all ready as it's not a part of the body molding but makes the underhood compartment complete, and yes the front core support is missing, and I doubt that the kit piece will work with the BIG 427 in place, I'd use a radiator out of one of the mid '90s NASCAR kits and just fabricate filler panels for each side. I know you've already got the glass, but in the one I drug out of storage, the stock Windows from both the '74, & '77 kit and the windows from the"Fireman" Pro Stock kit ALL fit in my body. I like the big block but if I ever get around to mine I'm going to use the 3.8 supercharged V-6 from the '90 Thunderbird Super Coupe, I think it would have made a great phantom version that Shelby, or the factory should have made.

True blue pearl with white or silver Shelby stripes, or deep black, with matte black Mach I striping, it would appear as ghost stripes not really showing until the light hit it right, and to make sure, do the whole car gloss black and do the stripes with a semi gloss, or flat clear, that way the shades and tints of the black would match. Really want a black that appears really deep, make the last coats with clear, two parts transparent blue, and one part transparent smoke tint then top coat with straight clear, there is nothing as deep appearing as a true blue-black for depth and reflections.

Edited by horsepower

I do have the front radiator core. I don't have the instruction sheet so I thought like most kits there would be a separate firewall. There is no detail on the "firewall" molded to the body so we will have to see if there is anything in the spare parts box.

i have ya covered pics to follow clarification

none of the parts trees i have have a seperate firewall there is not one what you see is "supposed" to be a firewall many older revell kits are this way very lackluster detaling on firewalls usually just flat plastic......

100_7211_zpsf9abd35f.jpg

100_7213_zpsbe49ec71.jpg

Still plugging away on this one. I did not care for the molded in tail lights that this kit has so I sanded them off. Will think of something else to do. I also drilled holes in the rear panel to make room for some aluminum exhaust pipes. Looks like I need to apply some putty on the rear panel below the spoiler. Not sure if I should sand off the louvers that are on the rear panel.

monroemustang3001_zps8f20a41d.jpg

Moving right along......I did remove the louvers on the rear panel but that photo was very bad. I have the body almost ready for paint, just have some primer touch up to do. I thought the interior was finished till I saw this pic. : ) Some touch up is called for . Hope to possibly shoot some paint tomorrow. I'm thinking since it is a kind of crazy car it needs a crazy color. I have just about made up my mind it will be Prowler Purple with black rear window louvers and also a section of the hood.

mustang3maybe001_zpsbd1f2654.jpg