Model Cars Magazine Forum

Incredible welding skills

Quick GMC

Yep, those are mighty fine figure 8's and crescent's with TIG.

Practice will make perfect. I mostly do wirefeed MIG at work (for fabrication purposes) and most have said mine look like "a row of dimes." Strong with DEEP penetration is what I am mostly worried about.

Eh, I've seen better.

:P

As for me, sometimes when I'm not too distracted I can make a straight line with a welder :lol:

Just kidding. It's important to be good at some things, especially tech stuff like that.

Moreso than ever for me since soon I hope to be working on my car.

Edited by chunkypeanutbutter

Well, I'm not saying they look bad, some of them are downright pretty. But pretty doesn't necessarily mean strong. Having been around it all my life (confession time, I can't weld for spit), I've seen it all, from the very best to the absolute worst bubble gum welds.

Years ago, a buddy and I welded a drive gear back together that split in half (!) on a Koehring backhoe. The gear was about 20" in diameter and about 2 inches thick and was split from the hub splines all the way out to the gear teeth. Worked great after it was done......and it was machine cast iron. Had to be done because it was an obsolete part.

Yep looks good to me. I can weld aluminum like that. One of my friends at work can weld pop cans together, now she is good and one of the best welders we have.

I read on-line about a girl who got a job by proving she could weld pop cans together. Same gal?

Dale

Funny you bring this up I brought my 11 yr old step son to my shop today and was showing him around. We got to the wire feed and ask him if he wanted to try it. "Ya papa Dave" I get out the leather apron and helmet. next thing you know he laid a better bead then when I was twice his age.