Model Cars Magazine Forum

JO-HAN '62 Chrysler 300- Rat Rod?

fun9c1

Glass- I seldom break or crack glass. My beaters are usually legal drivers. All I usually do is NOT clean and shine the glass. It will already have some residue on it from handling. Just make sure it doesn't have large fingerprints. Also if you want to simulate a dirty windshield, tape off the wiper pattern on the outside of the glass and spray a little Dullcote from a distance.

Thank you guys for the compliments! This is alot of fun straying from my usual builds where I try to make it like it just rolled out of the factory.

Wayne- I agree it wouldn't hurt to make the glass look "older". I don't want to do any permanent damage though. So far there is nothing on any part of this that can't be fixed with Purple Power. :) I would probably never redo this as a "shiny" car, but I like to know I can if I want. Especially since this particular kit is getting pricey. Believe me, it was very difficult to mess up that nice new blue paint job (first time I ever did THAT on purpose!) but I'm glad I did now.

Tom + Steven + Wayne- I like the simulating a dirty windshield idea. I will probably do that.

Tom- You're "new wipers on an old truck" reminded me of Christine- "He's got new wipers on a busted windshield... Good hands, bad taste in cars..." :)

OK, I tried the same thing on the windshield that I did to the wheels and I'm very happy with it.

What I did was commandeered my daughter's Crayola sidewalk chalk (she's 12- she doesn't need it anymore! :) ) and scraped up some white and gray into some water, mixed it up, and basically "drybrushed" that onto the windshield and back window until it had the look I wanted. Then I took a .080 or so styrene strip, cut it same length as the wipers from the pivot point to the inside end of the wiper, wrapped a little paper towel where the wiper would be, and made the wiper motion with that against the windshield.

I love the way it looks. It's not permanant which could be good or bad- good if you change your mind, but bad if someone touches it. But it can always be done over again.

I also did the front wheels with the chalk so now all four are done.

I'm hoping to get some more done this weekend as another foot of snow is coming down on top of the 3 or 4 feet already on the ground...

917212f259.jpg

be0fe859a3.jpg

cd12f83f4e.jpg

6f987978cd.jpg

ac2331a369.jpg

1c8d9707f2.jpg

This is cool B) I think I will have to try your new idea with the chalk . Is this going to be a driver or resting for the next owner? If its resting you could do white streaks down from the letters on your tyres to look like the rain had washed out the white .

Edited by Doobie

• 2 weeks later...

Well this thing is getting pretty close to being done. Some things left to do still include painting/foiling the steering wheel and some chrome in the interior, adding a mesh behind the grill, license plate, maybe plug wires.

Since the last post, I've got the interior mostly painted and foiled (and grimed up), added the battery and radiator, weathered the headlight bezels and got those glued on, and got the front wheels spaced apart a little more realistically than JoHan would have you do it.

For the battery, I printed out an image of a battery in 1/25 and stuck it on the battery while the black paint was wet. Then grimed up the image a litte by drybrushing.

22db68c562.jpg

0366298b1b.jpg

fd0144df4a.jpg

e200a5236e.jpg

7697fda3f7.jpg

6874e5730a.jpg

41efe3083f.jpg

14a4f7e997.jpg

Great job Rob! I'm a real pill about weathering and you've got my seal of approval!

A few things of note...

1. Your rust patterns are just right. It's so easy to over do it. You've got the eye.

2. Although you didn't photo it, your description of adding a battery label is the way I do it. An older car like this won't have a factory battery, so I copied a Pep Boys battery label. I may do a Walmart brand battery for the next one I do. A lot of guys skip this because they think they need a decal, but you got it by gluing on paper. The label on a lot of batteries is a sticker anyway.

3. I love your under hood pad! It looks right.

4. The only suggestion I could add is that you left the screw posts in the engine bay. I usually cut those out, you still could if desired.

Otherwise, a great job. I have a Johan 1960 Desoto that I have sanded all the trim off because it was damaged in an earlier mishap. I will be building it primer gray to match a photo I found. You're giving me inspiration to pull it out!

Thanks for the comments, guys, I appreciate it!

Bob- yes I do need to do something with the headlights, I forgot to mention that. Any suggestions? Is there a way to make them look reasonably realistic without drilling them out and adding clear lenses?

Tom- my thoughts exactly on the battery. If this were a 1:1, it would have a cheapo newer battery in it. The first good image I came across was an EverStart so I printed it. I figured if it wrinkles up a little, all the better since some 1:1 labels end up doing that or half-peeling off anyway.

The hood insulation is just black felt with some dry-brushing with brown, white, and gray oil paint. I really like the way it came out. First time trying that.

More soon I hope. Won't be long till it's under glass. :)