Model Cars Magazine Forum

AK-interactive: TRUE METAL

Just wondering if anyone has tried this product:

http://ak-interactive.com/v2/?orderby=price&product_cat=true-metal

"can be applied by brush, with the fingertip, or with a cotton swab.
Once dried, it can be polished to achieve a metallic finish."

If so, how does it compare to other "true metal" products out there.

No doubt Alclad 2 has great results and a strong following in our model community, but I was looking at other alternatives available. Especially since my paint booth/air brush are down right now <_<

I might be able to justify the cost if its easy to use, little clean up, and provides decent results.

OK - so did some research and here's what I found:

Rub-N-Buff does not seem to be sold by anyone that I'm aware of in my area so I'm writing this off. Michael's (USA) seems to stock this product, but not the Canadian affiliate. Strange, but not surprising.

USCHI products look to be a pretty interesting product, but again, not stocked in my area. S&H is prohibitive.

Other wax based metalizers - again, doesn't look like anyone around here has heard of such a product, let alone sell it.
Another observation is that all of the above products seem to be offered in two main colors - Chrome and gold like finish.

What is appealing (to me) about the AK-interactive line is that it is offered in multiple finishes such as dark aluminum, Iron, copper, as well as the traditional. If you order from AK-interactive directly, S&H is prohibitive as they are located in Europe. However, I did find a Canadian retailer that offers this product line at a more "reasonable" price. Guess I'll have to save up and review the products myself.

Stay tuned

Edited by Intmd8r

• 3 months later...

Just wondering if anyone has tried this product:

http://ak-interactive.com/v2/?orderby=price&product_cat=true-metal

"can be applied by brush, with the fingertip, or with a cotton swab.

Once dried, it can be polished to achieve a metallic finish."

If so, how does it compare to other "true metal" products out there.

No doubt Alclad 2 has great results and a strong following in our model community, but I was looking at other alternatives available. Especially since my paint booth/air brush are down right now <_<

I might be able to justify the cost if its easy to use, little clean up, and provides decent results.

I have some and like it, going to do a test on some primed plastic cutlery soon and will do some photos

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

• 2 weeks later...

I have some AK True Metal, it's awesome stuff, it's like Rub n' Buff but it actually dries and hardens and doesn't keep wiping off on your fingers. I've been using it over Alclad base coats to give them a more realistic look. It's transparent and will let the base color show through. You can put it on with a brush or q-tip or even your finger and you buff it up to give it a shine. You can even thin it down with thinner and turn it into a paint.

I have some AK True Metal, it's awesome stuff, it's like Rub n' Buff but it actually dries and hardens and doesn't keep wiping off on your fingers. I've been using it over Alclad base coats to give them a more realistic look. It's transparent and will let the base color show through. You can put it on with a brush or q-tip or even your finger and you buff it up to give it a shine. You can even thin it down with thinner and turn it into a paint.

I found that my True Metal Aluminum kept rubbing off on me

As I polished, it stripped down through the primer.....hand polish even

I wasn't super impressed, but maybe I did something stupid with it???

Three coats over primer

image.jpg1_19.jpg

After polishing and the control no polish area

image.jpg1_22.jpg

I love the way it paints and handles, but the rub off and lack of shine don't really justify it. Tamiya flat aluminum looks almost identical

If I did something wrong, love to hear it, but this is what it did in my hands

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

As I said, I used it over Alclad on some natural metal airplanes I'm working on. I guess it works differently as the base coat.

Front half of this wing has been done with the True Metal over both Alclad and AK's new Xtreme Metal. The Xtreme Metal works great too, it's really shiny.

photo1-vi.jpg

Yours looks great!!

Hmm, maybe I will try it with the Alcald base...like the gloss black???

How long do you wait before polishing???

My tests were over Tamiya fine white and grey primers

I have Alclad gloss black, Aclad white primer and Alclad grey primer as well to try out

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

I used Alclad aluminum under it. I think you need a metallic color under it as the True metal is very transparent. I just glopped it on with a brush right out of the tube and then with my bare finger started polishing it right away, rubbing until I feel the heat from friction in my finger. I think it's meant more for "punching up" other metallic finishes than to be used as a finish all on its own.

Front half of this wing has been done with the True Metal over both Alclad and AK's new Xtreme Metal. The Xtreme Metal works great too...

What is the base for Xtreme Metal? Lacquer, enamel?

BTW, it is available at HobbyLinc in the USA, but it is kind of expensive - $9.56 for 30ml (1.01oz). However, if it can resist handling, I would try it. How would you say it is with handling? Is it easy to damage just with your skin oils?

AK says they're enamel, but they smell like alcohol. The regular aluminum I tried resists handling very well, but so far it's the only one I've tried.

Brett, did you buy their thinner? If so, can you tell what it is - alcohol, or something else?

• 1 year later...

Yeah, I'd paint it a darker shade, like Alclad Steel, and then rub one of the True Metal shades, like their Steel or Dark Aluminum, that's just a bit lighter than the base color.

what kind of thinner you use? Acrylic thinner? Enamel thinner? please advice.