Model Cars Magazine Forum

Callaway C4 LM Corvette Kitbash WIP........ New pics 1/18!

Kennyboy

The lines look right on Ken

Could you not achieve the brake ducts by filling and drilling new?

Just my 2 cents....

Cheers

Thought about doing this.......but for me it is just not worth it in the long run. You see, the hood is made up of six pieces glued together then laminated (per se) on the underside with toilet paper soaked with glue to make it all one piece <----this method works great for piece-ing things together out of multiple parts. Patching the holes and re-drilling COULD cause issues with seams opening and such. Besides I think it looks alright with them in their orientation. I do appreciate your thoughts and ideas though. Cheers!

Great progress. I don't know how you guys have the vision to see what kits to use. Color me impressed!

Thanks Oscar! I dont know I guess I just see it when I look at something......I find myself thinking thru a mental database of different cars and shapes to come up with the right combination.

Been working on smoothing out the hood, wetsanding on the primer with several different grits (started with 400 and finished with 4000 grit.)

Spending so much time on the hood the body is starting to look like a "second class citizen!"

Some quick pics with both light and shadow to show the surface is close to paintable:

P1000705_zps5d77031b.jpg

P1000701_zpsf2f77659.jpg

P1000706_zps1bdb3ee0.jpg

P1000703_zps23c8e675.jpg

P1000695_zpsf3499c85.jpg

That's impressive. Any thoughts on a color yet?

Still up in the air on color (was thinking of doing it a yellow with a gold pearl..... probably going to do the wheels in the traditional black of the GS..... BUT, they will be a larger staggered low profile two piece ZR1 "style" ;)

I would go with a metallic light-ish blue with silver stripes or a red with black or silver stripes. Or maybe black with flat black stripes... hmmmm

Good suggestions for color schemes! got me thinkin'......

Continues to look great Kenny! you should get someone to mold/cast a few copies, would make a neat trans-kit

I second that!

Thanks guys! I just might do that......Jimmy Flintstone is local to me and is a member of one of the clubs I am in, maybe I'll run it by him and see if he is interested in casting it.

I am always amazed when someone can see two or more kits and visualize how well they would fit together to create something totally new and to do what you have done and create something that really exists is even more impressive. The only Callaway we Vette fans have ever had was the Monogram speedster kit so it would be great to have a second one, ie please talk to a caster about making more of them (that makes three votes). I'll be following your build till the end.

rob

I am always amazed when someone can see two or more kits and visualize how well they would fit together to create something totally new and to do what you have done and create something that really exists is even more impressive. The only Callaway we Vette fans have ever had was the Monogram speedster kit so it would be great to have a second one, ie please talk to a caster about making more of them (that makes three votes). I'll be following your build till the end.

rob

What he said!

I love this project...

Worked on this again today.....

Got the chassis modified/mocked-up to fit the new front end and the extended side skirts. Also, built and filled the rear skirts, built the new wheelset (ZR1 wheels mounted in 19 inch hoops) and wetsanded the hood down to 12000 grit as seen in the pictures....the hood is officially ready for paint.

The reason I have so many pictures of just the hood is because that is where most of the work took place. Needless to say, this should move along a little quicker from here on out.

Pics:

P1000709_zps9103f060.jpg

P1000712_zpsbbfcbd4e.jpg

P1000708_zpsb2633bef.jpg