Model Cars Magazine Forum

'40 Ford Coupe: Lindberg same as AMT ?!?

I was unboxing my new Dodge L 700 kit (the one with the '40 Ford and trailer), and noticed that the Ford body was remarkably similar to the AMT ’40 Ford coupe on my workbench. After carefully examining each one, they appear to be from the same mold! Even the parts trees seem to be the similar.

There are some obvious differences, like the Lindberg logo on the under side of the body, and a few optional parts not included in the AMT version. Most notably, the Lindberg parts have excessive flash and mold lines to take care of, but you wouldn’t know that they were from two different companies sitting side by side on the bench.

To further test my theory, I test fit some Lindberg parts on my partially built AMT chassis, and they are a perfect fit! For giggles, I tried some parts from my unbuilt Revell kit on the AMT chassis. As expected, the parts could work with some massaging, but not as well as the Lindberg/AMT parts.

Can anyone verify this?

Lindberg acquired the tooling for that kit from Palmer, but IIRC Palmer pretty much copied the AMT kit. They are not the same kit, though.

The Lindberg '34 Ford pickup? Yes, that IS the AMT '34 Ford pickup kit.

The parts fit so weel together, its hard to believe that they are NOT the same. You know more about that stuff than I do Casey, so I'll take your work for it.

Somewhere along the line, someone DID reverse-engineer the AMT kit to produce the Lindberg tooling (and as Casey says, the tale is it was Palmer). If you compare the parts VERY carefully, you'll see subtle differences that prove beyond doubt that the two kits do not come from the same molds. Very similar yes...identical, no.

• 3 years later...

I will  just add this . I have 2 Resin Conversions of the ITC '40 Mercury . Different Grilles while  one has the Taillights for the inaugural '39 MY . Conveniently , one Grille is a '39 , the other a '40 MY Grille and Taillights  .  The bodies are just a scooch lnger than AMT kits like Mercuries are . Te Lindbergh Chassis seems to need less 'stretching to fit the Mercury Bodies ..  Thanx 

On 1/21/2015 at 1:54 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Somewhere along the line, someone DID reverse-engineer the AMT kit to produce the Lindberg tooling (and as Casey says, the tale is it was Palmer). If you compare the parts VERY carefully, you'll see subtle differences that prove beyond doubt that the two kits do not come from the same molds. Very similar yes...identical, no.

Long before my time but an older ship modeler told me that in the 1950s-60s Pyro and Palmer were so notorious for copying ship models made by others that they were referred to as the Plastic Pirates.  

Edited by Aaronw

On 3/31/2018 at 4:34 PM, Aaronw said:

Long before my time but an older ship modeler told me that in the 1950s-60s Pyro and Palmer were so notorious for copying ship models made by others that they were referred to as the Plastic Pirates.  

Palmer yes, Pyro?  Not too likely, given the sheer number of small sailing ship kits they introduced from the late 50's to the late 1960's.

Art