Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Mercedes 300SL Announced, new pics added to OP

martinfan5

I've already done one of the plaids. The plaid was designed for the Revell SLR. And there are chrome decal emblems and really good instruments. The instruments were designed to work with the Italeri version of the SL (in addition to the ones for the SLR).

VRM-017.jpg

Awesome. I have your Ferrari SWB decals too - they're GRRRREAT!

Interesting. I have a pre-order for this kit at HobbyLink Japan, listed at $27.98.

The latest post on this kit at Tamiya USA shows the MSRP as $71.00. Glad I ordered when I did.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/plastic-model-series-20/1-24-scale-sports-car-8000/mercedes-benz-300sl-24338

Because the dollar is high now or the yen is low....I forget which. But you can only take advantage of this by buying from a Japanese source.

Edited by mike 51

Interesting. I have a pre-order for this kit at HobbyLink Japan, listed at $27.98.

The latest post on this kit at Tamiya USA shows the MSRP as $71.00. Glad I ordered when I did.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/plastic-model-series-20/1-24-scale-sports-car-8000/mercedes-benz-300sl-24338

Skip - You are the benchmark on these; would you PLEASE do a WIP on this one??

To show us how a proper 'Wing should be done?

Skip - You are the benchmark on these; would you PLEASE do a WIP on this one??

To show us how a proper 'Wing should be done?

As a former ad agency creative director in charge of artists, writers and production professionals, I am better at telling people who are far more talented and skilled than I am how to do their job.

Edited by sjordan2

As a former ad agency creative director in charge of artists, writers and production professionals, I am better at telling people who are far more talented and skilled than I am how to do their job.

You are denying the rest of us the benefit of your insight and workmanship. You freely share your knowledge.

I've hounded you on all the classics you have (to no avail) but would quit if you just share your build on this one.

You are denying the rest of us the benefit of your insight and workmanship. You freely share your knowledge.

I've hounded you on all the classics you have (to no avail) but would quit if you just share your build on this one.

"Those who can't do it teach it."

Thats how it always is, its the marked up import price, take for example Tamiya's LA Ferrari , you can get for around $40 from Japan, or $90 here in the USA

Thats how it always is, its the marked up import price, take for example Tamiya's LA Ferrari , you can get for around $40 from Japan, or $90 here in the USA

It is the same here, one example is the Gunze 1956 Volkswagen beetle, HLJ has it for just 960Yen (7.96$) but out of stock and Hobby Search has it for 1080Yen (8,94$) and in stock, add shipping to that at maybe another 1000Yen or so and the kit will be about 2000Yen total (about 16-17$) but in stores here in Norway it would probably be around the 40-45$ range.

Same goes for any others asian kit maker aswell.

It is the same here, one example is the Gunze 1956 Volkswagen beetle, HLJ has it for just 960Yen (7.96$) but out of stock and Hobby Search has it for 1080Yen (8,94$) and in stock, add shipping to that at maybe another 1000Yen or so and the kit will be about 2000Yen total (about 16-17$) but in stores here in Norway it would probably be around the 40-45$ range.

Same goes for any others asian kit maker aswell

And it works both ways, US kits are about $10 and up over USA MSRP in Japan

Yes, I have seen the prices for the Revell US and AMT kits at Hobby Search and with the shipping cost added (and possible import fees) I could probably get two kits here at my LHS for the price of one from them.

Like the AMT Ford LN8000 racecar hauler truck: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10257428 73,04$ here at hobbysearch and in my LHS it is 67,50$. Add to that maybe something like 25-30$ in shipping and probably about 30-35$ in import charges and it would be about twice as expensive as my LHS.

The Revell AG London bus is in my LHS for 73,75$ and at hobbysearch (sold out) for 87,94$ while the MPC World War II Jeep (recent reissue) is slightly cheaper at hobbysearch at 35,77$ vs. 37,25$ at my LHS but with shipping it would be more expensive in the end anyway.

That is some great work, Steve. Is it for an ALPS printer?

Nope - those are high res Cartograf printed with foil for the emblems. I'm going to have to make a couple of corrections to the plaid if I do a 300SL set. That yellow stripe must bleach out after 5 minutes in the sun.

Steve

This builder is terrific. Excellent detail work that shows what can be done with this kit. Dash and engine are great, though I think the seats and other leather/vinyl surfaces could look a bit more lustrous. However, I wonder why he painted the space frame red (always gloss black from the factory, except for publicity photos that showed it light gray or white for clearer definition in black-and-white publications.

Edited by sjordan2