Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Mercedes 300SL Announced, new pics added to OP

martinfan5

Here's a nice build of a Heller kit, which I liked a lot at the time (2010). I've learned a bit since then, and it appears that this is the same as the Italeri kit. Seems to have been based on the 300 SL roadster kit molding which, like the 1:1 cars, has more pronounced fenders and a larger grille than on a Gullwing, and two coils instead of the GW's 1. So the Heller / Italeri Gullwing kit has problems.

The Testors Italeri roadster cabriolet kit is very nice and accurate, except for the windshield shape. Another clue is that it has a prewar red&black nose badge decal, which is incorrect in either case. Same inaccuracies are found on Italeri's 1/16 version (which has more detail than their 1/24 and an opening trunk, plus separate chrome pieces for window surrounds and grille). The differences are subtle to most eyes.

Cato can tell you about the agonies of trying to "accurize" the 1/16 Italeri.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35305

Edited by sjordan2

I know some modelers like to use accurate paint for airbrushing. So for what it's worth, I sharpened up the things I couldn't read in the paint chart above and it appears to be a Gullwing accurate chart before the roadster, in spite of what I said above. You'll have to check to see if any of those color codes or equivalents are available. Here's the list from the chart; everything in the picture looks darker than actual color. In order:

Black DB 40

White DB 50

White -grey DB 158

Blue grey DB 166

Silver grey metallic DB 180 (this is the standard silver)

Graphite grey DB 190

Light blue DB 334

Fire engine red DB 534

Strawberry red metallic DB 543

Ivory DB 608 (this varies from Ponton model numbers of 615 and 620)

PS: If you want to mix paints to match any of these colors, a 190SL club has posted Glasurit paint chips for a variety of Mercedes at the link below. Click on the code number and a chip will appear with the mix formula (German/Glasurit). I don't know if these old numbers will actually work.

http://www.190slgroup.com/joomla/index.php/technical

Edited by sjordan2

These are all of the standard colours, plus special order light blue and green metallic. This covers the '57 coupes as well, but does not include roadsters. Light blue and green metallic were special order, but there were a lot of them.

Code Colour Number Built

DB-180 Silver-Grey Met 530

DB-50 White 158

DB-534 Fire Engine Red 155

DB-190 Graphite Grey 108

DB-40 Black 101

DB-608 Ivory 70

DB-158 White-Grey 67

DB-353* Light Blue Met 64

DB-334 Light Blue 27

DB-274* Light Green met 19

DB-543 Strawberry Red Met 14

DB-166 Blue-Grey 4

Incidentally Maxx...The Tim Flock car was DB-50 with a red interior. And yes, I will do the decals. They will be on the first German racing sheet.

Skip, Does your BMW 507 it have the Rudge wheels? My box art with the red/black hardtop shows them, but does not actually have them. I have a pattern maker and caster all lined up to make and cast Rudge wheels for the Tamiya.

I have 3-4 of the Italeri kits - this seems like a pretty significant improvement based on the pics of the Tamiya.

Edited by VRM

Thanks for the post, Steve. I don't have the BMW kit, but I'm basing the Rudge statement on the box art you mentioned (Coupe, not Cabrio). It's a different wheel style anyway.

Sounds like you're working on very helpful additions to the Tamiya kit.

Edited by sjordan2

I didn't realize at first the high resolution of Gregg's link to the kit sprues. (Post #151). All of the images are pretty sharp and can be enlarged substantially for detailed views.

The closer I look at this kit, the more excellent it appears to be.

Edited by sjordan2

>The closer I look at this kit, the more excellent it appears to be.

and you are surprised? remember this is Tamiya not Revell or AMT we are discussing here.

jb

I!ll save my detailed analysis until after I receive the kit, but I repeat that I'm surprised about Tamiya's failure to provide an opening trunk with spare tire, etc., after all the great work and amazing detail they've put into this kit.

Skip, just out of curiosities sakes I'd like you to list all the other kits that Tamiya has made with opening trunks that would make you inclined to believe THIS car, which has a lower price point than several recent super car kits, would include such a feature - OTHER than your bias towards the subject matter.

I'm actually okay with the trunk not opening. Either way it's gonna be an absolutely beautiful kit, and I am definitely going to be doing the Tim Flock Gullwing because I have the Moebius 1955 and 1956 Chrysler 300 kits with the Flock markings, as well as the 1952 Hudson that includes the Flock markings. With all these kits, my collection of Tim Flock cars will be complete.

Tamiya did not fail at anything. This looks like a great kit and and it has enough opening stuff as it is.

Opening parts, other than hoods, are a hold over from the past that in my opinion are totally unnecessary in today's kits.

You want it to open? Get the xacto going.

Tamiya did not fail at anything. This looks like a great kit and and it has enough opening stuff as it is.

Opening parts, other than hoods, are a hold over from the past that in my opinion are totally unnecessary in today's kits.

You want it to open? Get the xacto going.

The only thing that would make me complain about this kit thus far is if the roof had a scale 4inch chop to it.

Okay, get the X-acto going. Make a trunk floor that fits over the frame tubing. Get a spare tire. Add the gas filler. Make hinges. Etc. Other model companies already provided all that in lesser kits. Hmm There was a thread here that went on page after page about the roof on a Mustang kit, but I'm taken to task for commenting on this omission?

I've already said this kit is otherwise a home run. Meanwhile, I've tried to add info and reference material to help those who are interested in factory-correct aspects of the car, and am happy to provide any reference that anyone wants. So shoot me.

Edited by sjordan2

i was going to say the expectation of an opening trunk possibly comes from the fact that the AMT version had one. that was actually one of the highlights of that model if i recall correctly because it was very well detailed compared to the average AMT stuff of the time.

but its true about Tamiya: if there is any consistent complaint it might be the curbside nature of many of their excellent kits. highly detailed underneath but nothing up above under the hood. so in that light it is very commendable they are going whole hog with the engine and chassis detail. and that clear floor...which might actually make it make sense to detail the trunk area without opening the trunk lid.

hmmmm.

jb

I wonder if tamiya measure the real car? I'm thinking they would. Would like to see a built example next to a real one. Looks awesome anyway.

Ben

Looks like Tamiya had up-close access to a real car. Here are some good shots of the built model. Look at real ones in Google images and I'd say they did as good as or better than anyone else. Just needs a little attention to finishing the interior, and some simple engine work for those who like to add plumbing and wiring detail, no big deal.

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/24338/index.htm

Edited by sjordan2

Okay, get the X-acto going. Make a trunk floor that fits over the frame tubing. Get a spare tire. Add the gas filler. Make hinges. Etc. Other model companies already provided all that in lesser kits. Hmm There was a thread here that went on page after page about the roof on a Mustang kit, but I'm taken to task for commenting on this omission?

I've already said this kit is otherwise a home run. Meanwhile, I've tried to add info and reference material to help those who are interested in factory-correct aspects of the car, and am happy to provide any reference that anyone wants. So shoot me.

Yeah it's called being a modeler, or are you just a kit assembler? I mean that is the standard answer for any of the rabid mob of Revell defenders is it not?

Beyond that I asked you to provide a list of previous Tamiya kits with opening trunks that would lead to THIS particular trunk not being opened as an "omission". Of course you didn't make that list, but it was also a trick question as Tamiya has NEVER made a kit with an opening trunk (caveat - in 1/24 scale and not something that was an access hole for a motorized kit).

I get it, you have an obsession about this car that some might call ridiculous, but also steeping your judgement against something based on the fact that a 50 year old AMT kit had one, so EVERY tooling of this kit must have one is equally ridiculous.

With the inclusion of the full engine, the full space frame, and the see-through bottom (if that's your thing) in a kit that's going to cost $27 (which incidentally is a whole NICKEL more than Revell's MSRP on their new kits) who gives two flips if the trunk doesn't open? Heck I'd bet a solid 75% wouldn't care if the gullwing doors didn't open.

If you want to fret every last detail might I point you towards Acu Stion who's got a complete detail set coming out that includes P/E, White Metal suspension parts, and even a turned TITANIUM exhaust tip all yours for an extra $123.

Edited by niteowl7710

Acustion has a full detail kit coming out, including parts to adapt the kit wheels to make rudge ones. Not sure if the regular wheel is the same as the rudge, just without the decorative cap.

The aftermarket needs to make the fitted luggage, even though that's pretty easy for any modeler to make.

Also, decals for plaid seats (though you will have to remove the molded in pleating from the kit's leather seats).

I'm glad you have provided the info, I sure know who I'm going to turn to when building the kit :)

Should it have been a opening trunk? Maybe so but thats not going to keep me from buying the kit.

I'm glad you have provided the info, I sure know who I'm going to turn to when building the kit :)

Should it have been a opening trunk? Maybe so but thats not going to keep me from buying the kit.

Hasn't stopped me, either. I pre-ordered a few weeks ago. Happy to help with an info you need. Looks like VRM (Steve DeVaux, post #204) also is quite knowledgeable about the car. I mainly concentrate on the visible parts that produce a detailed model.

Edited by sjordan2

Acustion has a full detail kit coming out, including parts to adapt the kit wheels to make rudge ones. Not sure if the regular wheel is the same as the rudge, just without the decorative cap.

The aftermarket needs to make the fitted luggage, even though that's pretty easy for any modeler to make.

Also, decals for plaid seats (though you will have to remove the molded in pleating from the kit's leather seats).

Here's an accurate plaid pattern that you can drag to your desktop and print to scale (correct scale would be about 13 alternating stripes across the seat cushion). Depending on your printer, you may want to adjust color balance and contrast.

Mercedesracingplaid.png

Edited by sjordan2

I've already done one of the plaids. The plaid was designed for the Revell SLR. And there are chrome decal emblems and really good instruments. The instruments were designed to work with the Italeri version of the SL (in addition to the ones for the SLR).

VRM-017.jpg

Skip - great minds...

I like it, but I have never seen any of the blue version with a yellow stripe.

Do you have patterns for the red and green?

I may do a seat plaid run (and would have to tone down the white background a bit).

Steve