Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is it about Bare Metal Foil that intimidates you?

I wouldn't say I'm intimidated by it,it's more like often frustrated by it.I can't seem to always get the graininess out of it after burnishing it.

If I understand what you're saying, the fact that you're seeing graininess after burnishing tells me the area being foiled probably has an uneven texture on the surface (overspray, orange peel etc). BMF is thin enough that these things will show through, so any trim like drip rails, window surrounds etc that you're going to cover should be sanded smooth with a light-grade polishing cloth before applying the foil.

I doubt this applies to your situation, but I've also seen modelers really mangle BMF around vent windows because they get in a hurry trying to cover all the surfaces. Some looked like they tried to chrome a miniature accordion.

If I understand what you're saying, the fact that you're seeing graininess after burnishing tells me the area being foiled probably has an uneven texture on the surface (overspray, orange peel etc). BMF is thin enough that these things will show through, so any trim like drip rails, window surrounds etc that you're going to cover should be sanded smooth with a light-grade polishing cloth before applying the foil.

Exactly. Foil will only look as good as what it's applied over. I scribe and sand all of the trim before primer and paint. After paint, I sand again with 2000 grit before polishing the paint (if I do it) and foil work. For me, foiling a model is the most relaxing part of a build.

I doubt this applies to your situation, but I've also seen modelers really mangle BMF around vent windows because they get in a hurry trying to cover all the surfaces. Some looked like they tried to chrome a miniature accordion.

I see that "vent window mayhem" occasionally as well. Always assumed it was because the builder was rushing. I could never understand the mentality of that. What's the rush? I don't believe it's a race! :) Steve

• 6 months later...

I believe I've known about Bare Metal Foil for maybe 12-15 years, and have always admired a model done well with it. But have I ever used it? Nope. Not at all. I was extremely intimidated by it and had seen enough models where it WASN'T done well that I knew how easily it could be screwed up. When I decided to start working on car models several months ago, I knew that BMF was more necessary in this genre, much more so than in airplane models.

So I bought some. And stared at it for a few months now, wondering how on earth I was going to manage using it on my '66 442. I am at that stage now that almost everything is done. I finally got a paint finish that satisfied me, and all the engine work is complete. I've been putting off this last big step for days. So tonight, I screwed up my courage and gave it a shot. I did all the work around the windows and vinyl trim, figuring that I would tackle the hard part first.

And to my exuberant surprise, BMF was not hard at all. Easy to a certain degree even. It took about two hours of very careful work, sharp tools, and plenty of patience, but compared to so many other steps in modeling, it was a breeze! Q-Tips, toothpicks, and a new X-acto really are all it takes. I wish I had used this stuff years ago.Now that I know about this, and Duplicolor paints, car modeling is not near as difficult as I expected. Which is a good thing, as I have a lot more cars in the stash.

Now on to the chrome strips on each side, and my first car since I was 8 years old will almost be done! (Btw, I know this BMF isn't perfect, but for my experiment in making a car I'm darned happy.)

I believe I've known about Bare Metal Foil for maybe 12-15 years, and have always admired a model done well with it. But have I ever used it? Nope. Not at all. I was extremely intimidated by it and had seen enough models where it WASN'T done well that I knew how easily it could be screwed up. When I decided to start working on car models several months ago, I knew that BMF was more necessary in this genre, much more so than in airplane models.

So I bought some. And stared at it for a few months now, wondering how on earth I was going to manage using it on my '66 442. I am at that stage now that almost everything is done. I finally got a paint finish that satisfied me, and all the engine work is complete. I've been putting off this last big step for days. So tonight, I screwed up my courage and gave it a shot. I did all the work around the windows and vinyl trim, figuring that I would tackle the hard part first.

And to my exuberant surprise, BMF was not hard at all. Easy to a certain degree even. It took about two hours of very careful work, sharp tools, and plenty of patience, but compared to so many other steps in modeling, it was a breeze! Q-Tips, toothpicks, and a new X-acto really are all it takes. I wish I had used this stuff years ago.Now that I know about this, and Duplicolor paints, car modeling is not near as difficult as I expected. Which is a good thing, as I have a lot more cars in the stash.

Now on to the chrome strips on each side, and my first car since I was 8 years old will almost be done! (Btw, I know this BMF isn't perfect, but for my experiment in making a car I'm darned happy.)

& so satisfying to see the progress after it's finished !

That's all it takes Harry. A few tools & a little patience.

Those screwed up foil jobs are attributable to one thing & one thing only.....impatience!

Nothing makes a build come alive like a nice foil job in my opinion.

Steve

I love the stuff and Im not intimidated by the process, however....... I always get a little nervous cutting the foil when there isnt a very prominent moulding line to follow, nothing looks worse than wavy foil!, and its not easy to fix when done, the stuff Ive got sticks like cack to a blanket and it can chip the paint if Im not careful.

Edited by Mr Stock

From what I've read here and from what I understand, the guys who aren't intimidated have experience with the material and have been using it for years.  Tell us how it was the 1st time you thought about using it?  How old were you?

I'm past 60yrs. and I still think twice before building a car that needs the stuff.  I'll probably not build anything that needs much of it either.   I'd rather at this point do things I feel comfortable with doing. 

I'm still apprehensive about the tedious feel of to me, new technique.

I just read through this thread. Quite interesting to learn all the different things people do or like/dislike about the BMF.

I've been using BMF for over 25 years and I still have most of the models I build back then. The BMF is still on them. Slightly more yellowed but no sign of peeling. Still looks good. Here's my 5 cents:

BMF Original Chrome foil is by far the best foil out there.  I tried them all (including some home-made stuff).  I'll tell you a secret:  It is not simply very thin aluminum foil with some adhesive. That is also the reason why it has a warmer color than the bluish-silver of aluminum foil.  This foil is made from some pliable metal or some metal alloy. I don't know any specifics. If you don't believe me take a soldering iron and lightly touch it a piece of foil - it will melt.  Try that with aluminum foil and it will not melt.  That special metal is the reason why this foil is so easy to work with, and why it stretches and compresses easily to create a wrinkle-free surface.  Also the its softness is why it polishes so easily.  That's the secret to BMF's Original Chrome foil.

All the other brands of foils (even including BMF's own Bright Chrome, Black Chrome and Gold) are just adhesive-backed thin aluminum foils. The colored ones simply have the color applied to the foil's surface. That is why those are much stiffer and not as easy to apply. They also do not stretch and crinkle easily when applied to complex curved surfaces.

As others have mentioned, Naphtha not alcohol is the best for safely removing stubborn adhesive residue. But if the residue is not very heavy, it will come off by just rubbing with a piece of soft cotton cloth, no solvent needed.  When I foil my models I often minimize chances of having residue by covering the area surrounding the foiled area with masking tape.  When I'm done foiling I simply peel up the masking tape and the remaining foil comes off with it.

WD40's solvent is similar to Naphtha, but WD40 also has lubricants - spray some WD40 on a piece of glass and let the solvent evaporate for a day or two. You will end up with a thin layer of oily film which will not evaporate. That is why I would never use WD40 on a finished model.

If you want to see an example of one of my foiled models, look for the blue '57 Chevy on the BMF's packaging. It is by yours truly. :)  I feel quite honored to have my model on the BMF envelope and on the website.

Gunze Sangyo 1:32 1957 Chevy BelAir

BMF

Edited by peteski

From what I've read here and from what I understand, the guys who aren't intimidated have experience with the material and have been using it for years.  Tell us how it was the 1st time you thought about using it?  How old were you?

I'm past 60yrs. and I still think twice before building a car that needs the stuff.  I'll probably not build anything that needs much of it either.   I'd rather at this point do things I feel comfortable with doing. 

I'm still apprehensive about the tedious feel of to me, new technique.

Well, I've thought about using it many times. I've been modeling off and on since I was a kid, but there have been several distinct phases in my modeling as an adult. I was real happy with my models up until about 15 years ago, when I discovered the internet. I also discovered how bad my models were. It was disheartening, and my building came to a stop. After a few years of soaking up info in modeling forums, I jumped back in about 12 years ago, bought an airbrush, and started applying my new knowledge. Joined a club and started attending contests too, which upped my game. I consider myself better than many modelers, but nowhere near top quality. My biggest fault as a modeler is insufficient patience. I tend to start hurrying things up when I get near the end, and start stuffing up my builds.

So I knew about BMF. And I read all the scary stories, while admiring BMF done well. Well, this Olds 442 is the first time I've used BMF and I thought it was a breeze. Among other things, it was easier to handle than I expected, and not that fragile. I found it to be very forgiving of mistakes. Since my post above, which was the first day I used the stuff, I have finished the BMF part of this model. I hope to be completely done with it in the next few days. And I've decided I love BMF.

I am a couple of months shy of 50, and have bad arthritis, and not the smoothest of knife handling abilities. But I still found it easy enough to use BMF. My wife is keen on how this model is coming along, and just tonight was pointing out stuff she thought could use some BMF around the house. :)

Edited by Harry Joy

Harry....lol.  My wife has "found" out new stuff to use around the house too.  A couple of tools of mine, a sharp knife, a good magnifying glass, and countless other things that I got tired of looking for. 

I did find though per chance, her secret stash.  Low and behold, all of the goodies in there!  Amazing.  Lots of my tools and goodies too.

Harry....lol.  My wife has "found" out new stuff to use around the house too.  A couple of tools of mine, a sharp knife, a good magnifying glass, and countless other things that I got tired of looking for. 

I did find though per chance, her secret stash.  Low and behold, all of the goodies in there!  Amazing.  Lots of my tools and goodies too.

Isn't that the truth.

A couple of weeks ago My wife insisted that I use some of my "Plasti-Zap" to glue some ceramic thing she had broken back together.

Just last weekend my magnifier & fine tweezers came in handy to remove a knot from a fine necklace chain.

But I guess my wife is trained well enough to stay out of my shop. Or, more likely, she just refuses to go into that filthy cave! :)

Steve