Model Cars Magazine Forum

1973 Vega Kammback

Scale-Master

OK, so this is the AMT Vega Funny Car hat had the cycle wheels on the front right? Always thought their wheel choice was rather odd, as by the Mid-Seventies no one was running a cycle wheel under a Funny Car at the Drags. I built that one in my younger days. You are right, that chassis and body is short and was more suited to building something like a period altered. Same frame went under an AMC Gremlin Funny Car and probably a few others to get their money's worth out of the tooling.

The short body probably distorts things where it looks (in pictures) that the body is "Fat" brought the belt line. Don't see too many modelers take a Funny Car body and return it to Street Stock configuration, you're doing great!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Skip. It's too far off and looks close enough with the wheels under it for me to try to mess anymore with it. I'm looking at it as part of a collection more than a stand alone special model. I originally planned in going all out, full detail, dual Webers and all the goodies I added. But I just have enough love for it to do it all out.

I shot the final clear, added the side marker lights and emblems/trim/badging. The flake looks a bit heavy now and the real car was pretty glittery too.

DSC05503_zps7fkq7ycj.jpg

DSC05502_zpsul36uqa4.jpg

Just the standard Z11 GT engine, with a 4speed. That's all it needed, really. The rear control arms had wallowed out the mouts on the body, and I even spit the spider gears out of the rear end on a clutch dump. It was fun to embarass the British sports car guys in the twisties! The short block had been sleeved, and I had fantasies of hanging a couple Weber 45DCOE's and a header on it, but a frozen advance in the distributor caused terminal detonation. It was a Vega, after all, and there was always something that needed fixin'. But you are correct, some of my best memories involved that car!

I had 48DCOE's on mine. Mild cam, Blackjack header, turbo muffler with an Ansa tip. It was over carbed but I got a smokin' deal on the carbs and manifold.

I lowered it too using the heavy duty springs (new stock) for the PacBell panel "telephone truck" version, I cut a coil out of them and beefed up the sway bars. It handled very well.

I like the headlight covers. True story.... when I got my new 1978 Mustang King Cobra I custom made some dark blue headlight covers that were removable ( the car was dark blue ) Anyway, one day while going down Magnolia Ave. in Riverside. I got pulled over by the police. Got a ticket for having blue lights on the front of the car which was illegal he said. Even that the lights were not on he still gave me a ticket and made me throw them away in the trash can of the fast food place I pulled into.

Oh how I wish someone would master this in Resin!. Here's a pic of my GT wagon with me and my sister, circa 1982.

1933725_1124653048636_7708706_n_zpsu5eyu

There is one in resin, I am not at my house right now, but I will pm you a pic and find the mfg when I get over there.