Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rusty paint looks wrong to me! What do you think?

It looks like a psychco camouflage pattern, the "rust" looks like brown paint..... rust is various shades & tones, not just one. Placement, I think the logical way is to focus more on just the areas that would receive rust, if it were a real car; rust normally is more concentrated on areas which are flat, because the water / moisture tends to be there, and then travels via gravity to vertical spots & continues.Think of why the rust has formed & that should tell you where. Are you trying for surface rust, rust damage, or a combination ? Consider making your own real rust, get a little jar / container with a lid, put a hunk of steel wool in it & add water, leave a few days until the rust forms & you'll have real rust to paint with, to use along with paint. Grab a bunch of pics from google, print them off & have them handy in front of you as reference; there's plenty of them on there. Good luck

Edited by Krazy Rick

It does not give the feel of rust. I love the rusted out models and will be doing some of my own. I have little hands on experience with them, but often I see where there is just to much rust. I love rat rods and have worked on a few real ones the thing I have seen is there is less rust and more flat old paint. Maybe try keeping the rust to the areas that normally rust (edges of the roof, fender wells, lower portion of the body) and focus more on mat paints in dark or faded colors.

Not site if this helps or not, please let me know if it does.

DSC00332-vi.jpg

I agree that any of the Rusteoleum red primer rust jobs just look like paint. I use chalks for most of my work. You can buy an earthtone set for around $5. You sand the chalk sticks to get dust, but most folks just dust it onto models for a minimal effect, and it will wear off with handling.

I actually paint and texture mine using a two brush method with Testors Dullcote.

My first thought was the same! Did I miss something? were the vettes steel in the mid 60s? :D Steve

The Rusty Corvette was a model that was long on my Bucket List. I finally built it for the MidAtlantic NNL's Corvette theme a few years ago. Built in about 2 weeks, I've had a lot of fun with it. I love to put it on a show table and watch from a distance. It gets some interesting looks! And every so often I run into someone who thinks I didn't know Corvettes were fiberglass... and for them, the license plate says it all....

IMG_3265-vi.jpg

DSC00332-vi.jpg

I like the chalk techniques myself.

I agree that any of the Rusteoleum red primer rust jobs just look like paint. I use chalks for most of my work. You can buy an earthtone set for around $5. You sand the chalk sticks to get dust, but most folks just dust it onto models for a minimal effect, and it will wear off with handling.

I actually paint and texture mine using a two brush method with Testors Dullcote.