Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Dodge Super Bee

nkempf95

This is the first time I'll be posting a picture of my work. This is the start of a 427 I'm working on for a 1970 Super Bee. Still needs some touch up painting, gotta install the headers and the belt assembly. I have already ripped it down once because I wasn't happy with the way the intake was sitting. I know this isn't anywhere near "par" on here but I've already learned so much just from browsing the forums. No better way to get better than post some work and see what you all think. Any comments are welcome as I see any advice as helpful! I'll be posting up some more of this project soon

post-14942-0-10796700-1424667065_thumb.j

post-14942-0-26939400-1424667106_thumb.j

Edited by nkempf95

Lookin' good Nick. To add to what Nick (high octane) said , try not to build too far outside of where you are right now. You're doing great so far so build within your ability and enjoy the hobby. Try not to compare your work to others. Instead, challenge yourself to get better with each build and you'll get there bud. Can't wait to see more, Joe

Edited by mustang1989

You guys are right, it is a 426. As far as body color I have it painted a lime ice. I still have a few more coats to put on. I should hopefully be wrapping that up soon. I'm not sure on enterior though. I usually just flat black them but that's getting boring. I might bust out the masking tape and try to add some lime ice accents with a black enterior

So I've hit a wall, kind of. The rear diff. comes on 3 parts, the hub with the axles coming out and then 2 pieces that finish the hub. I have lost one of those pieces. Not sure if I should just continue with the build or try to make a new piece from scratch.

I wish they offered a stock '70 Superbee kit. I'm really tempted to kitbash one together. Does the Dirty Donny kit come with the hole in the hood pre-cut or do you have to cut it out?

James, they do offer a stock 70 kit. last one was a year or so ago. the pro street one is a flat hood with the indent in the inside for cutting the hole in it.

The first model I had built was a 65 amt mustang. I built it at my girlfriends house so I decided to keep it there. That was sometime last summer. I picked that thing up the other day and immediately tore the entire thing down lol. I could not believe how crappy it was! Looking at that engine I couldn't believe I had put it together. I am leaps and bounds ahead of where I was last summer and I credit a lot of that to these forums

Here is what I call a done engine at this point in time. I'll definitely be attempting a blown engine in the near future.

post-14942-0-05898900-1425346486_thumb.j

Nicholas, I like where your project is going, and I'm glad to see you're making good progress. As you're finding out. some of it is intuitive, but there's a lot to be gained from more experienced people. Hence the value of forums like this.

If you don't mind, I'd like to offer you a few simple tips that will make your engine even more accurate.

1) Holley carbs are "gold", but generally not Testors gold (although most of us painted them this way when we were starting out). They're generally more this color:

Holley-1050-cfm-Dominator-4500-Gas-Carbu

Tamiya acrylic Titanium (X-31) is close, and I'm told there's a Model Master Metalizer that's very close also.

2) Headers are generally flat black, flat white or semi-chrome (Jet-coated). With a little preparation (masking tape on the engine block) black or white would still be very easy to do.

3) Mopar alternators can be easily detailed. Start with a light coat of flat aluminum. When dry, do a black wash with flat black acrylic.

m3E7ohB4QIXKNZFRwT9DJIQ.jpg

4) A flat black wash on your air cleaners should bring out the details on them

ede1002.jpg

HTH

Edited by Monty

Thanks a lot Monty. I'll definitely be on the look for that tamiya the next time I'm in the hobby shop. And the kit directions called for gold headers, I did scratch my head a little on that one. Is there any advice on installing headers? I usually have to put up a good fight to get all 4 of those suckers glued on tight. I didn't even put them on a camaro I did!

Just showing that i am making some progress. Got the body, engine bay and interior painted. The chassis and suspension are currently sitting and I'm waiting for the glue to dry. Here's a quick pick of the painting I did over the weekend. post-14942-0-64841300-1425952338_thumb.j