Model Cars Magazine Forum

Volksrod pick-up

restoman

This is going to be my first full-on custom build...

Starting with Revell's Street Machine kit.

My plan is for a lot of work... top chop, shorten the body, custom built pick-up box, lots of trim shaving, Fuch-style wheels, etc... hopefully ending up with something that looks like pic #2. Thinking about the same colour too.post-14849-0-96185300-1424737877_thumb.jpost-14849-0-86207100-1424737904_thumb.j

Cool, you got my attention.... Love the pickup that's a really unusual idea for a bug, ( cant help wondering if you might be better off starting with the Tamiya beetle kit, its a lot nicer than those Revell versions...) good luck with it anyway, im gonna be watching along ! ! Lowlife ! !

Spent some time mocking up the engine and transaxle to determine the stance. I think I'll end up sticking with a slightly lower than stock height. it's an awful lot of work to alter the chintzy suspension that's on this kit.

Also mocked up a box to get an idea of how much to take out of the roof height.

Going to shorten the box slightly and lower the top rails a touch.

Beetle rear fenders are going on the box.post-14849-0-87885800-1424916239_thumb.j