Fox Chassis (Ford) community build anyone?

• You cannot reply to this topic
913 replies to this topic

#41 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts
  • Full Name:Name Full

Posted 23 April 2010 - 04:43 PM

Yeah I'm excited for the build. The kit is already built, but I painted the chassis/engine/drivetrain lowrider-style (gold, silver, chrome)...guess I was in a lowrider phase! :lol: Of course the exterior looks stock though, so it's kinda odd. I'm going to have my brother take some pics tomorrow of how it sits now.

Oh yeah, when I was building it I accidentally painted the turn signals and back up lights on the lower half of the taillight. I threw them in some paint thinner to remove the paint, but I left them too long and they disintegrated, so I had to make my own out of a couple pieces of clear plastic. Course they suck, so I'm going to fab some new "lenses" out of sheet styrene, and cover them over with some clear nail polish, which I can then color to look like lenses.

Edit: here's how it will approximately look:
Posted Image

Edited by YJIslander, 23 April 2010 - 06:19 PM.

#42 whale392

whale392

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts
  • Full Name:Bradley Emery

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:20 PM

The kit I am starting with is the Monogram 1983 GLX convertible 5.0/4spd (this box):
Posted Image, Posted Image.
This is what I have so far for the build:
Posted Image, Posted Image
The lowrider is for parts to help this build along, and I have NO CLUE where the meshes came from (I bought them THAT long ago!).

#43 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:23 PM

Those appear to be a set of Volk Mesh wheels.
Posted Image

Course, I don't know where you bought them from! :lol:

Edited by YJIslander, 23 April 2010 - 06:24 PM.

#44 whale392

whale392

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:25 PM

Ok, I took the headers from the lowrider kit (as the 1983 has cast log manifolds...mighty nice castings too I might add) and am modifying the poor castings to replicate the 1985 specific (first year for headers) headers:
Posted Image
made my own flanges for the head fitment:
Posted Image, Posted Image
I still have the heat shields and riser tubes to make yet, but hope you like it so far.

#45 Jordan White

Jordan White

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:27 PM

Great job for such a hidden part! :lol:

#46 whale392

whale392

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:29 PM

Ok, the K-Member in these kits is far better than the MPC/AMT units by miles, but still a little woeful. So I have done this:
Posted Image, Posted Image, Posted Image, Posted Image,

Edited by whale392, 23 April 2010 - 06:30 PM.

#47 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts
  • Full Name:Matthew Brownlee, card carrying member of the Donnie Boger fan club

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:32 PM

I haven't made a final decision yet, but my entry will probably be one of these two, or maybe both!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#48 whale392

whale392

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:35 PM

Posted Image, Posted Image, Posted Image.
I took and cut the upper portion of the K-Member free from the lowrider kit and mated it to the lower portion. I also slimmed the A-Arms and am in the process of adding ball joint ends to the arms. I marked and cut the lightening holes in the K-Member upper bolsters as well as cut free the horrid convert brace (to be made later with .030 rod). I also opened up the spring perches and the locators in the A-Arms. I will be getting the motor mounts made in the morning. I also removed the cast-in steering rack and have made a new unit to go on later.

#49 whale392

whale392

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:37 PM

Excellent choice either way you go highway.........I look forward to seeing you build these!

Jordan....those could be the ones. I think I bought them back in 1999.

#50 Roadkill2525

Roadkill2525

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Full Name:You know what it is.

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:03 AM

This is what I have so far for the build:
Posted Image

Those appear to be Fujimi BBS RG

Those appear to be a set of Volk Mesh wheels.
Posted Image

Course, I don't know where you bought them from! :)

Here's the Volk Mesh, box shows a four lug wheel but really is a five lug.
Posted Image

#51 whale392

whale392

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:05 AM

Not a stupid question at all Dan. I drew out where the holes were to be made, drilled the corners of the hole pattern, and then connected the corners with more drill holes until I was able to finish removing the scrap with a hobby knife. Cleaned up the hole edges with a hobby knife and a little sandpaper.
If you are wanting to do this, might I suggest making the holes before glueing the upper K-Member piece to the lower K-member piece, as it would make clean-up of the hole a lot easier (I didn't do it that way, learn from my mistake!).

So I am still in limbo as to where my meshes came from...no matter as they work fine and I have them! :)

I will have the engine oil pan modified hopefully by the end of this evening or maybe Tuesday night (my work week starts tonight) as the Mustang used a double sump pan and the kit pan (all of the Monogram/Revell issues in 1/24th scale) is a single rear sump pan.

Edited by whale392, 24 April 2010 - 09:11 AM.

#52 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts
  • Full Name:Matthew Brownlee, card carrying member of the Donnie Boger fan club

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:49 PM

I have finally decided that I will build my 1982 Dale Earnhardt Thunderbird.

Posted Image

I will be trying to build it as his winning car from the April 4 1982 Rebel 500 in Darlington, SC, which was his first win with Bud Moore Racing. I'm a die hard Earnhardt fan, and always will be!

#53 whale392

whale392

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:13 PM

Got you updated Matt. Looks like a good choice and can't wait to see it done.

#54 Tony T

Tony T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,634 posts
  • Full Name:Tony

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:48 PM

Okay, went through my kits and decided to dust off a couple of oldies...Monogram '85 Mustang SVO and Revell Rousch #1 Whistler Mustang (Trans Am race car). Both are molded in red plastic...:lol:

#55 Wagoneer81

Wagoneer81

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Eddy.

Posted 25 April 2010 - 04:55 PM

YES! Just want to let y'all know that I just won an unbuilt '87 T-Bird Turbo-Coupe on eBay so, I'll be able to start on this one after I finish the '57 Suburban. I'll throw the 4-banger in the parts box, transplant a 5.0 or 5.8, give it a 5-lug 4-wheel disk conversion and go from there... Basically, turn it into what the Thunderbird should have been to begin with... I'll start a thread on it when I have something to show. :unsure:

#56 whale392

whale392

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:05 AM

Got you guys' kits added to the list!

#57 Mark Brown

Mark Brown

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Full Name:Mark

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:10 AM

I guess I'm game, though I've got a long history of not finishing group build projects (or projects in general!). I'll either get going on this '93 Cobra tube chassis XTF car, either with a nitrous big block or turbo'd big block. I might do a stock build with an '85 SVO, too. See which gets to the finish(ed) line first.

#58 whale392

whale392

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:23 AM

Got you added in there Mark! By the way; that your 4eye in your avatar? You over on foureyedpride or foxbodyforum?

#59 Mark Brown

Mark Brown

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Full Name:Mark

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:57 AM

Got you added in there Mark! By the way; that your 4eye in your avatar? You over on foureyedpride or foxbodyforum?

It's the one I built and raced a couple years ago. I had a big block/Glide in it but it's got a Procharged 5.4 Navi motor now. I'm registered on both those forums but haven't done anything on them in a while. Here's another pic of the coupe - it's actually an '87 with an '86 nose - I wanted a four-eye but found the '87 first so I backdated it.

#60 whale392

whale392

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:25 AM

Yeah, most of the FEP guys can be a bit touchy about an identity-swapped car. Blown 5.4 sounds like she would motivate the coupe pretty well! Nice looking car.....I have an 83GLX vert, an 84 GT Turbo, and an 86 GT TTop/5spd for my 4eye cars, and a 91GT to satisfy my Aero 'Stang needs.