Some of you may remember the stock '49 Ford I posted a little more than a week ago. It was a restoration of a 1992 build I did with a incomplete kit I got online. I used almost all the stock chrome with the exception of the grille, and the stock hood. What was left was just the body, the interior tub, the dash, and the custom parts. I thought I was never gonna do anything with that, as I didn't even had the chassis/floor pan, along with all mechanical parts, that were missing from the kit.
Well, This Saturday morning I went to my hobby shop, owned by a friend, and on Saturday mornings there is always a little "gang" of builders there showing their builds. This time there were a guy with a box full of parts he wanted to trade. Most of the parts were pretty easy finds, but among all that, I found a '49 Ford frame with the front suspension glued on!!! Offered the guy 5 Reais, and he sold it to me. Came home with the evil plan boiling on my head...
I had already played with the body, done some body work just for practice installing the custom parts, and having the joints smooth, so I would go Custom with the Ford.
Saturday I painted the body with Tamiya TS-7 Racing White.
Also painted the interior Tamiya Italian Red. Along with the interior, I painted a set of steel wheels from my parts box. I think they came from a '62 Bel Air.
On the interior I used a set of custom seats I don't remember from what kit came from.
Also used a chrome steering wheel from a T-Bird kit.
Scratchbuilt a stick shift, and made a little piston on the Dremel to be the handle.
On the frame, I adapted the rear end of a '49 Mercury to fit the Ford (is narrower) and painted the entire thing Tamiya semi gloss black.
Like I had no Flatheads or Y-Blocks on my parts box, I used the next best thing, a 427 FE from a 1966 Fairlane 500 kit from ages gone by. Had to foil all the crome on the engine as it was in the parts box for a loooong time... But it was all painted and wired. Unfortunately, the Fairlane the engine came from was pushed out of a shelf by my cat Mitch, and I only remembered to salvage the engine. The Fairlane rear end would have being more adequate.
On Sunday morning, I polished the body, foiled it, and did the detail painting. Wonders of Tamiya paint. It dries really fast, and here is hot right now. Even better.
Gave a shot of semi gloss clear on the interior before assembling it, and the body itself was ready.
What gave me more work was the exhaust that I built with mufflers from the parts box and soldering wire painted with Tamiya gunmetal.
The tires are AMT parts pack.
Headlights are the custom option that comes with the AMT 1957 Ford.
The rear part of the wheels are from a '49 mercury kit, both front and rear.
Finished the build today about two hours ago...
I can't say I took two and a half days to build it, as I was messing with the body for at least a week, but I painted the body on Saturday just before lunch, and finished the car on Monday just after lunch.
Some pictures of the salad...