Model Cars Magazine Forum

1956 Corvette Impala

kennb

brushed some clear on this today and buffed it out a little,,,,,,might be getting close to final buffing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but before the pictures a few points to think about,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The actual car did not have side windows nor did it have a motor....in other words it was a shell with an interior. The frame was a simple rail frame with no detailing although it did have a gas tank out of fiberglass............curious set of equipment....

GM said the scrapped a lot of the show cars but they have been showing up a lot more the past 10 years, which leads to was this car really scrapped or is it still sitting in the scrape yard or a garage someplace.................... :huh: mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

DSCN6052_zpsd273ec1a.jpg

DSCN6055_zpsf2b93754.jpg

DSCN6053_zpsfc9eb5eb.jpg

GM said the scrapped a lot of the show cars but they have been showing up a lot more the past 10 years, which leads to was this car really scrapped or is it still sitting in the scrape yard or a garage someplace.................... :huh: mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

GM did scrap those Motorama dream cars but didn't do a good enough job to make sure they were destroyed. Back in the 1980s I remember reading that several of them were found in a Detroit area junk yard where they had sat for years. Those are the ones that Joe Bortz (Blue Suede Shoes Collection) has been restoring. It's very cool that they survived against all odds!

BTW, your model is coming along fantastic!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Thank you all for the comments.....................................

finally have a decent buff on the body...too humid to do any kind of paint work on anything tho......pictures don't do it justice

DSCN6061_zpsd604f5e4.jpg

DSCN6069_zps94968fbf.jpg

DSCN6068_zps9a3b242e.jpg

DSCN6064_zps8b7e96c7.jpg

I want to do fuzzy carpet but cant get to the store until next week for materials....................... :huh:

Edited by kennb

This is being worked on,,,,,,,,,I have to work up a good interior to cast and get a cast-able chassis for it. I could use a good 57 chassis with front end components to work from. I am going to rework the interior. The body should be off to the caster this week. :)

. I could use a good 57 chassis with front end components to work from.

You mentioned earlier that this was just a roller without a real chassis (but a fiberglass gas tank visible from the rear) or drivetrain. I wonder if someone could come up with a chassis shot of what would have been under it. I'm thinking it probably looked like a trailer chassis with a straight axle in the back, maybe a pivotal front end to steer it . You've gone so far with this, that having the chassis correct, especially since nobody really has seen a real one, would be the crowning achievement!

This is a very neat piece of work. I noticed in the magazine article on page 2 of this thread that the roof top was brushed stainless steel, much like the old Cadillac Eldorado Brougham.

The article also mentions that the car did have a drivetrain and a real gas tank with fuel filler neck, but they doubt that anything really worked on the car. A custom frame is shown, and they say it had a 225 hp Super Turbo-Fire V8 with a Powerglide transmission.

The actual car did not have side windows nor did it have a motor....in other words it was a shell with an interior. The frame was a simple rail frame with no detailing although it did have a gas tank out of fiberglass.

According to the magazine article posted early in this thread, the car had a full (real) frame, running gear and engine, although whether the car actually could be driven is uncertain.

There is a lot of conflicting information on this car and I am wondering if there is much of it that is correct. Other than the photos at least.. I have several different photos attributed to the running gear and chassis of this car and will work from there.

. You've gone so far with this, that having the chassis correct, especially since nobody really has seen a real one, would be the crowning achievement!.....I am going to work up a better chassis than what I have now.....it needs to have more work done on it so that I can have it cast also......It will be set up for a Corvette engine so that some can use a donor engine and tranny, I am also going to work up a better interior for casting, what I have now will not cast up very good

More on this latter. I have been concentrating on the .body to this point and just trying the interior that I have. For me it would be ok but to cast up it is not even close to being ready. One thing at a time.