Model Cars Magazine Forum

Keep an eye out for stolen 62 Vette

Sad to hear this I hope he gets it back and the criminals pay for their actions....they never think of how their actions affect there victims. As many of you know last Christmas my house was broken into and most of my 40+ years of collection/building plus many of my dads oldies(old kits,promos and build ups were stolen or damaged...its a devastating thing to go through.

From the Hot Rod article:

With our vast legal experience (none) it appears that filing a police report and still being listed as the owners of the car by virtue of the original title, the Whites have a "form of interest or control over the stolen property after possession was given to third-party purchaser". Even so, that statute of limitations regards the prosecution, while the Whites seem most interested in simply getting their car back

The one thing these articles never mention is if the owner of the cars in question ever accepted an insurance settlement on the stolen vehicle. If so, they have no interest in the vehicle, it would belong to the insurance company.

And as far as the 'statute of limitations', that only affects the ability to prosecute the original thief if they are found. In the case of the Barracuda, no doubt long gone. But if the owner of said car still had their valid title, proving ownership of that asset, I believe a court would return it to them. It would be easier if the car was considered a drag car and changed hands over the years without a title. Otherwise it may be hard to prove that the title currently on the car is ficticious.

Never mind the original article's mention that the owner was storing the car in an open apartment building parking lot. Not the best of storage for such a classis in Canadian weather, and a sure target for any scum that drove by. He would have been better off renting a garage to keep the car. He no doubt knows that now.

And if I was him, I'd be watching antique car dealer ads in Japan, Australia and the like since the car was closest to western ports. It may show up there with a laundered title.

Edited by Tom Geiger

It has now made National news here in Canada. Police are saying its probably already in a shipping container.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/news/industry-news/theft-of-classic-red-corvette-leaves-calgary-owner-lonesome-for-his-baby/article19704190/

Probably! Here on the east coast, my employer is strategically between Port NY/NJ and Philadelphia, both ship points. Going back 15 years ago we had issues with our two facilities with highway frontage. Very sophisticated thieves would pull into the lot with a roll off truck and back up to a specific car with no hesitation. No doubt they had planned it. Load up and off they went. They were so conspicious that company security didn't even question them. In fact at one of the facilities, a Vice President's brand new company Lexus (he picked it up that day!) was taken and security guards even blocked traffic for the truck.

One of my friends lost a year old Nissan Pathfinder and there were a bunch of other SUVs and cars taken. One was an IROC Camaro. Police said that these cars were probably unloaded from the truck, right into a container on another truck locally so they weren't seen riding down the highway. The cars always disappeared in sets, never one at a time. Cops figured they were headed to South America where certain cars and SUVs were worth many times the US price.

A while back there was one of those 60 Minutes type shows features on US cars stolen and shipped abroad. They visited used car lots in China and Poland and ran VINs and half the cars on the lots were stolen. Then they went to Belize, saying SUVs were being stolen in Southern California and driven through Mexico, and many of the trucks still had their stolen US plates on them. It's big business.

What happened in Oregon wasn't surprising - my ex-boss's Range Rover was stolen from his house in Arch Cape by a friend of the tenant, who sold it to somebody, who sold it to somebody else - and the judge let the last buyer keep the vehicle even though it was reported stolen. Did I mention Oregon doesn't like folks from California very much?

Edited by ChrisBcritter

"For the past three years, the convertible sat locked, covered by a tarp, padlocked and parked in an outdoor lot behind Jelley’s southeast Calgary apartment."

Not to be a jerk, but that was really, really stupid. In this day and age, easily snatchable classic cars are snatched. I'm surprised it took three years.

-MJS

The RCMP found the vette. It was found in a town just south of Calgary, in a farmer's field. The police didn't say in what condition the car was in, but the owner is very happy to get his car back.

Edited by kitbash1

The RCMP found the vette. It was found in a town just south of Calgary, in a farmer's field. The police didn't say in what condition the car was in, but the owner is very happy to get his car back.

I read on a website that it was "only missing a hubcap and someone messed around with the ignition wires"