Model Cars Magazine Forum

What should I do?

Okay, my aunt has two foster boys. Both are very good kids, and we enjoy spending time with them.

We took the two foster boys for ice cream tonight, and as we were cruising through another town, we drove by a '65 Mustang. My daughter screamed out, "That is the same car my dad and I built!"

That kicked off a big discussion about building cars, to which the two foster boys had never heard of before tonight. As we talked up model building, both boys got very excited about the topic, and both said that they want to build a model. Of course, I tried to help encourage their interest in building, and we talked about what cars they would like to build, colors they would paint it, etc.

(I feel passionately about youngsters getting into the hobby. The lessons and skills, not to mention the creative aspect, that can be learned is so important for kids...those are life long skills, IMO.)

Here is the dilemma:

I don't have much time to build, but when I do build, I like to build big stuff, especially 1/16. I just bought myself an AMT 50's T-bird to build on my own. Of course, you know how expensive some of the big kits can cost...

Do I pull the kit out, and have all three of us build it together, letting them do the majority of the work, or should I buy two cheap 1/24 scale kits, and try to coach them as they build?

Off the bat, I am thinking each boy should have their own model to build, and they can have something in the end to show for their work, instead of having to share the T-bird. At the same time, I'd love to start them out on big scale! (And I would if the big kits weren't so expensive.)

Should we try to build the kit(s) in a few afternoons, or should we spread out the build for a few weeks???

Both boys are 8 years old, and they are 'all boy'...and they are car crazy too.

IMHO, this one is easy. Go buy a couple of modern snappers. These are moderately priced, molded in color, and with a little detail painting can look great on the shelf. The kids will love nailing them together. After they've each done a couple of these, if they're still interested, you can move them up to "Level 2" simple glue kits--the Monogram 1/24 kits from the '80s are nearly perfect for this as they're still pretty simple.

Have fun with it and happy modeling to you all!

One more suggestion: Stop by Walmart and get a can of Krylon Satin Black. Let them spray paint the chassis undersides and interiors of the snapper kits with this. You wouldn't believe how much this simple move can improve the look of an all-red or all-yellow (or whatever) Snapper.

I wouldn't worry about spray painting the bodies first time around. Now you're introducing drying time. Remember an 8-year old's attention span. Let them get the things together. Maybe later on you can then disassemble the snappers, paint them, and build them again.

(The Krylon Satin black has a quick dry time. You can start the build by shooting the chassis and guts, then clean up and assemble all the body parts, then have lunch, by then the black will be dry enough to handle and the kits can be nailed together. Mission accomplished!)

Has anyone built the Revell Make-and-Take Camaro or Mustang?

I've built the Revell snapper '34 Ford, both '63 Corvettes, and have the '57 Chevy, '69 Camaro, and '70 Chevelle on the bench even as we speak. They've all been delights to work with and I'll happily buy anything in this line Revell makes that's of interest to me. They sit on my shelf with my "full detail" models proudly.

I wouldn't worry about spray painting the bodies first time around. Now you're introducing drying time. Remember an 8-year old's attention span. Let them get the things together. Maybe later on you can then disassemble the snappers, paint them, and build them again.

(The Krylon Satin black has a quick dry time. You can start the build by shooting the chassis and guts, then clean up and assemble all the body parts, then have lunch, by then the black will be dry enough to handle and the kits can be nailed together. Mission accomplished!)

I think we will spray the bodies...have you ever met a kid that didn't like to try to use a spray can??? LOL. Kids love to paint.

If that is the first thing that we do, we should be fine. FWIW, I think we'll split this into at least two days.

Start them out with a simple snap kit each and go from there. This is a way to keep the coast down on your end. It also gives them something simple to get started. The last thing you want is to have them start off that may to complicated. IMHO you want them to have a feeling of success right off the bat. If the snap kits go well, a simple glue kit might be a good next step. Good luck. Nice to hear you got a few kids interested.

I got the 2015 Mustang for my nephew on his 8th birthday. It goes together easily and is more robust than most models. It can be a toy when finished. IMHO, a pretty good idea for an intro to models for youngsters.

Maybe a second or third snap kit could be Revell's Acura NSX from around 20 years ago. It got great reviews.

Edited by LDO

Cool!!!!

Anyone built the new Camaro???

I've built a bunch for Make 'n Takes. The kids had a few problems that needed my attention, mainly with the interior and pressing the axles into the wheels all the way.

RevellCamaro01.jpg

the new Mustang is so easy you can hand it to them and walk away and they'll figure it out. The rest of the Snap-tite line needs a little supervision the first time they build one.

I finally made it to Hobby Lobby, and was surprised to find that they had both the 2015 Mustang and the Revell snap Camaroin stock.

A bit of a dilemma: The 2015 Mustang is cool because it would serve as a toy when completed, but the kit is ultra simple. It appears to be 4 wheels with two axles, an undercarriage, seats, and a body. If I were guessing, I'd say that I could have the kit assembled, without paint, in about 3 minutes, maybe faster.

I am really leaning towards the snap Camaro. One of the two boys is truly gifted...I think he would be disappointed with the simplicity of the 'stang.

Thoughts, anyone?????

I definitely agree with starting them out on a snap kit, but make sure they're the ones that choose the models. Also, it may be extremely difficult to hold back, but never force them to add details that they aren't concerned with. If they fall in love with models, they'll start to garner an appreciation for fine details and craftsmanship, but right now, they're likely interested in taking a bunch of separate parts, and turning it into a toy car. They WILL want to play with the car more than stare at it on a shelf. For that reason, the Mustang would be an awesome start.

When I was a kid, my dad was working on a ship model, and very focused on the details, for that reason, I completely lost interest in ships. When he just let me go on my own to snap together my car models, I was thrilled. My models were finished the same day I started, and I didn't care.