Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Rant from Steve Mags . . . some model car history . . .

This so-called "funnycar" arrangement wasn't unique to the MPC '67 Charger. I think they had similar build options in the '66 and/or '67 GTOs, and the '66 and or '67 Bonnevilles. But then back in the day, modelers were kitbashing their own funny cars in very similar ways (before dedicated funny kits became available). Take a look at the first two Car Model magazine funny car contests (and some of their build articles) and you'll see quite a few very similar things. I believe Tim Boyd will back me up on this--he was there "back in the day," too, and remembers those contests and stories well.

BTW, I had that '67 Charger kit back in the day (long gone). It was almost identical to the '66 kit except for the upholstery pattern and the clear hood option (and possibly the injectors--I'd have to doublecheck that).

Another BTW, that kit is now completely obsolete due to the excellent Revell kit. But if you just must build an MPC '67 Charger for some reason, it was reissued many times and you can find those repops cheap these days if you look a little.

if there were a lot of complaints back then, you would not have heard them or of them. very limited communication in those days and if you actually took the time to write a letter they often made their way straight to the circular file. on the other hand if you happened to get hold of the right person, it could be very effective. but not like today where anyone interested in something can find lots of complaints or comments on it very easily. back then you would be complaining to your mother, who would be saying "yes dear" while pulling the fresh baked scratch made apple pie out of the oven and dad would be relaxing (in a white shirt and tie) and smoking his pipe. well that part might still be true today, except for the tie.

jb

and I don't really understand the guys problem: it shows right on the side of the box what is included. he chose to ignore or disbelieve that. that makes it his problem. as such an expert as he claims to be, he ought to know what to expect...and of course when the kit is supposed to be 3 in 1 including STOCK...you gotta figure they are not going to include an extra tube frame for some nebulous "drag" version. especially when it shows it right there on the box.

you do have to wonder though: a flip up body with a complete interior, including a full roll cage and seats. that artist must have been thinking this really doesn't make sense.

jb

Well, these kits where actually being built by young boys, and maybe some girls, with endless imagination and and enthusiasms. It did not matter to them accurate they where, all they probably wanted was to build it and have fun with it.

Not being built by a bunch of middle aged guys that have grown jaded by a hobby they claim to love so much.