Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pink Primer (Tamiya)

Figure painters would love :wub: them if they'd come out with a black primer. Been telling them for years they need to do one... Smoothest primer on the market and they're blowing a nice little chunk not offering a black primer. <_<

And now pink, I guess for those guys who have to paint their scale Ferraris the exact same way the 1:1 Ferraris are painted. I remember years ago Modeler's doing a McLaren Red set that included a pink primer.

Floquil has a very nice black primer as well as white. Very comparable to Tamiya. Floquil is popular with the model RR crowd.

And now pink, I guess for those guys who have to paint their scale Ferraris the exact same way the 1:1 Ferraris are painted. I remember years ago Modeler's doing a McLaren Red set that included a pink primer.

And whats wrong with that?

Edited by martinfan5

Figure painters would love :wub: them if they'd come out with a black primer. Been telling them for years they need to do one... Smoothest primer on the market and they're blowing a nice little chunk not offering a black primer. <_<

See with the pink primer my scale Ferrari will have the right scale effect, meaning the right shade of freaking red.

Floquil has a very nice black primer as well as white. Very comparable to Tamiya. Floquil is popular with the model RR crowd.

Vallejo also has a black and white primer too. Very popular with figure painters and military modelers, and it is acrylic.

See with the pink primer my scale Ferrari will have the right scale effect, meaning the right shade of freaking red.

Isnt that the point of pink primer, to give the right shade of red?, but I guess since its a subject of something that is past the 70's , it doesn't deserve to have the right shade on it :lol:

Isnt that the point of pink primer, to give the right shade of red?, but I guess since its a subject of something that is past the 70's , it doesn't deserve to have the right shade on it :lol:

One would think since you are building a scale version of the real thing, you would want it right. God forbid I am a model builder and not a kit assembler. Let the skies open up and the modeling gods strike me down........

Fred what is that color , I totally love that and have the perfect car for that color

You're gonna hate me - I can't remember the name.

It was a holts or duplicolour rattlecan but not a colour matched car touch up. It was part of a range aimed at people just painting stuff rather than touching up their cars.

I might still have the can in my shed. I'll look when i'm down there tomorrow (it's bedtime now).

ok so here's what i'd be interested in seeing:

a photo comparison with different primers and the same red.

i know somebody had done something similar with a bunch of white spoons and they used different primers and same paints and showed results and it was pretty amazing at how much of a difference there was between the end results.

primers i'd like to see used: white, gray, black, pink, yellow

Absolutely nothing. Simply stating that for anyone who doesn't understand the point of a pink primer. It's the way the real cars are painted, so paint the models the same way. Read the lines, not between them...

The way it was worded came off that way a little I guess, my mistake ;)

i understand that, especially since the first part was critical of them for not doing a black primer (which IMHO would sell like hotcakes and make all the fantasy figure painters need a clean pair of shorts, but that's beside the point...)

I am going to agree with you, a black primer is a BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH good idea, or Tamiya doing a black primer is a good idea ;)

A few years ago I built the submarine from the movie Operation Petticoat and I had to paint it pink and then spray it with Matte, if I'd only waited I could have used Pink Primer which in the movie they did using 50% red oxide & 50% white primer.