Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sox & Martin The Plymouth Years collection

Finally completed the 1967 GTX. It took me awhile but I finally found that set of Goodyear Redline tires in my tire stash.

Now I thought I had completed my collection of Sox & Martin's Plymouths, then Revell goes and releases the '70 Cuda. Oh well, I guess I will have to build it too.

1965 AWB Belvedere

1967 GTX

1969 Barracuda

1971 Barracuda

1973 Duster

Let me know what you think.

post-13715-0-40470700-1407971005_thumb.j

post-13715-0-14789900-1407971019_thumb.j

post-13715-0-32439300-1408034163_thumb.j

post-13715-0-00361600-1408034381_thumb.j

Edited by magicmustang

I was asked in a PM about the source of each model.

The '65 Belvedere was a built resin kit I got off Ebay and restored. The '67 GTX is a box stock Revell (with a few mods). The '69 Barracuda is a combination of MPC body, modified Jo-han engine, and gutted scratch built MPC interior with a Jo-han '71 Cuda chassis (the MPC chassis was a sad one piece unit). The '71 Cuda is a box stock Jo-han. The '73 Duster was a gluebomb I got off Ebay and restored.

Hope this helps.

Edited by magicmustang

Very cool! I started a similar collection but stalled out! Keep on going!

In addition to the Superbird the AMT Road Runner and GTX would be relatively easy to do.

Don'y you love other people planning projects for you??!! :D

Nice collection Gerald.

Sox & Martin had two Superbird's, one competed in Super Stock/E a short time and one in C/Modified Production and as I have understood it it was two different cars, the SS/E car had a blue painted top and the C/MP car had a black vinyl top and was painted a bit different.

They also had two Pro Stock 73 Dusters the same year, one they built themselves wich was crashed at a race and one built by Don Hardy bought from Don Grotheer as a replacement for the crashed car, they also ran 70, 71 and 72 Dusters in Pro Stock.

They had Barracuda's/'Cuda's from 66, 68, (one 68 updated with a 69 nose) in Super Stock, Modified Production and Pro Stock, 70, 71 and 72 in Pro Stock, Road Runner's from 68, 69 and 71 and GTX's from 67, 68, 69 in Stock, Super Stock and Modified Production, Belvedere from 65 and 67 in Factory eXperimental and Super Stock, a couple of Dodge Colt's in Pro Stock and A/FX, a Dodge Challenger in A/FX and an Dodge Omni in Pro Stock...that's just the Mopar cars.

They also had some Ford's and Mercury's and Ronnie also ran a 63 Chevy Impala before the Sox & Martin era and a Plymouth Arrow for "Billy The Kid" later...and their mechanic Jake King ran a 64 Ford Thunderbolt at one time.

So there are lots of Sox & Martin subjects if someone wants to build them all. ;)

Most of their cars were driven by Ronnie Sox (with startnumbers Pro 200, Pro 4, and Pro 23) and Herb McCandless ( with numbers Pro 211 and Pro 44).

Edited by Force

I am a big fan also.

Your bulds are very nice.

I have built.

67 GTX

68 Barracuda

70 Superbird.

70 Cuda

71 Cuda

71 Duster

72 Cuda

73 Duster

78 Challenger

79 Omni

I have the 65 AWB from speed city on the bench and will get the 66 Barracuda from them also. Looking for a 69 and 71 Roadrunner.

It has been fun trying to get a Mopar from each year.

And here I thought I could stop.

My intension was to build a definitive model of each major body style, but then I would need a '66 AWB Baccaruda for sure. But as members have commented "How about a Road Runner, a Superbird, a Satelite,, and there were different grills and taillights and hood scoops of the same body styles, and different paint jobs of the same models, and, and".......

I will need a support group to help explain to my wife why I need to knock out a wall and lengthen my display case!!

Oh well, back to the workbench. Thanks for your comments.

Edited by magicmustang

Yes Sox & Martin subjects are plentiful as they had several cars each year and of each body style for different purposes before they closed up shop, some of the cars were used only in one year and some were used several years.

They competed in Stock and Super Stock Eliminator, Modified Production, Pro Stock and Factory Experimental in different sanctioning bodys with different drivers, Buddy Martin did some driving in the beginning together with Ronnie Sox and Ronnie and Herb McCandless did most of the driving later, but Don Carlton among others did some driving for the S & M team from time to time, and the team did a lot of match racing and had cars modified for that purpose.

Edited by Force

I have done a bit of research through my magazine collection and came up with a list of about 30 cars that Sox & Martin and Ronnie Sox by himself campaigned under Sox & Martin colors. It could be very confusing. They often showed up at an event with 3 or 4 cars. They updated some cars with the next years trim and front and rear panels. The same car ran different classes at different times. Then they had the clinic cars which they allowed clinic attendees to drive. They only got to run the 440 automatic cars. Ronnie saved the Hemis for himself.

I won't repeat the lists that others have started in this thread but will add a few: Ronnie's 62 Impala, the 64 Comet, Ronnie's Pro-Mod Comet and IHRA Pro T-bird from the 90s, the pro stock Dodge pickup, a 72 GTX which ran in Modified production, and even a Neon pro stock.

I liked some of the more unusual combos that they ran like the AHRA 70 Cuda GT-1 with a Hemi and a single four barrel, the 69 Cuda in X/SS which was a test class for pro-stock in 69 ( I suspect it was the same car which they ran in 70 as a Pro/stocker alongside the 70 car and the Duster - all 3 being at Indy that year), the B/G 69 Cuda with short injector stacks, the 68 Cuda E/SA which Jim McFarlin of Hot Rod magazine drove, and the 69 Cuda which ran in SS/A in 73 with the leaf springs moved inboard and big rubber stuffed in the back.

My list of drivers includes Bill Shrewsberry, Don Carlton, Joe Fisher (S&M parts dept guy), Dave Strickler, Jim McFarlin, Sam Carroll, Herb McCandless, Jake King (S&M team mechanic), Dave Kempton.

They only worked together for 10 years but left a lasting impact on the history of the sport.

I't not easy to do a correct list of the S & M cars as you can find some conflicting information in books and on internet, I just read in the book SUPER STOCK Drag Racing The Family Sedan that the SS/E Superbird was equipped with a 440 Magnum and I've read somewhere else that the C/MP Superbird also would have had a 440...first of all the "Magnum" name was used by Dodge, not Plymouth, and after what I have found out reading the magazine articles from that time both the S & M Superbird's had Hemi's, the SS/E car with an Edelbrock Rat Roaster dual 4-bbl intake manifold and the C/MP car with a Weiand individual runner dual 4-bbl intake manifold much like the 70 and 71 Barracuda's had.

I believe the only S & M cars with 440's was the Super Stock 68 and 69 GTX's and the "Clinic cars", and one Stock 68 Barracuda had a 340, most the other ones were Hemi cars as far as I know.

Edited by Force

I't not easy to do a correct list of the S & M cars as you can find some conflicting information in books and on internet, I just read in the book SUPER STOCK Drag Racing The Family Sedan that the SS/E Superbird was equipped with a 440 Magnum and I've read somewhere else that the C/MP Superbird also would have had a 440...first of all the "Magnum" name was used by Dodge, not Plymouth, and after what I have found out reading the magazine articles from that time both the S & M Superbird's had Hemi's, the SS/E car with an Edelbrock Rat Roaster dual 4-bbl intake manifold and the C/MP car with a Weiand individual runner dual 4-bbl intake manifold much like the 70 and 71 Barracuda's had.

I believe the only S & M cars with 440's was the Super Stock 68 and 69 GTX's, one Stock 68 Barracuda and the "Clinic cars".

I would say that it is impossible to make a correct and complete list of all of the S&M cars. Unless you had all of the shop invoices, bills of sale and title records, and entry forms to all events, it would be extremely difficult to even know how many cars they ran. I heard that even Ronny and Buddy couldn't recall all of the details before they passed away. Researching is part of the fun.

I had the pleasure of receiving a email from Diane Sox after I posted a comment on the Ronnie Sox Memorial site, very surprised that she sent it to me as I have never even met her. Goes to show what a wonderful person she is by responding and carrying on the name and legacy of one of the greatest race car drivers who strapped themselves into a car!! Wish I would have had the opportunity to meet him before he passed.

Buddy Martin and Diane still make the rounds of various MOPAR meets throughout the states.

Nice collection you have there!!

Edited by dieseldog1970

As far as I know Buddy Martin is alive and well.

Agreed,

Ronnie and Jake King are both gone. Not sure about Dave Christie.

I had an opportunity to meet Ronnie, Buddy and Jake King several years back. But gave up waiting in line to do a meet and greet. and walked away,,,big mistake as Jake passed a year or so later