Model Cars Magazine Forum

A few questions for Johan fans from IMC

SteveG

Testors offered the 1970 Olds 442, the 1969 Rambler & the Pro Stock version of the Comet with all the kit parts, plus a set of pewter rims & wider tires in their "HSO", (Hobby Shop Only), line about 10 years ago. They were in much heavier cardboard packaging, & were offered roughly concurrently with their HSO Jimmy Flintstone kits.

Pretty sure that the Maverick is the same tool as the Comet, so if Testors has the Comet tool, there is the Maverick. One tool, different inserts. Thats probably why there are no side emblems.

Pretty sure that the Maverick is the same tool as the Comet, so if Testors has the Comet tool, there is the Maverick. One tool, different inserts. Thats probably why there are no side emblems.

Dave is right, they're from the same tooling. Apparently the Maverick inserts were missing at the time that Comet was run for Testors. Assuming that the Comet tooling could be located restoring the Maverick parts would be very high on my to do list.

• 3 weeks later...

For someone with very little knowledge about the history of model car companies this is a fascinating thread. I'm not a "collector" so perhaps my perspective might more closely resemble the general market. It seems to me fairly obvious that any "big fin" era car (especially Exner Mopars and Mitchell GM cars) have a better chance of selling well, especially the orphan brands such as De Soto, and now Pontiac and Mercury. Obviously subjects from the Little 2, AMC and Studebaker, get extra points in this regard.

The point made about interchangeability of parts had me thinking that perhaps it would be possible to offer a small line of engines, chassis, firewalls, fender liners and under hood parts to complement pure curbside models. It would be relatively easy to cut open the hood to create a detailed engine compartment with these parts. But perhaps this is too risky, as it adds a slower selling inventory to the product mix. Another approach would be to include a non-curbside full detail "keystone" kit that had these items that might be purchased to be adapted to the other curbside models.

In general I prefer styrene to resin for its stability and workability and I'm sure I'm far from the only one. The relative lack of the "big fin" subjects in styrene, when compared to the risks, complexity and expense associated with resin and resin suppliers, guarantees that I would be a steady consumer of these types of cars from the IMC line.

Whatever the final outcome, the Rambler looks real sharp and it's exciting to see this effort being launched.

Edited by Bernard Kron

I , like another response here , would not buy another re-pop of a Seville release I already have . My finances just don't provide this . May I suggest :

'64 Polara . I am in need of three of these .

'56 - '57 - '58 Plymouth Furys . These are halo cars , limited production , color and equipment restricted . The '59s were a seperate model subject to full options .

'63 - '64 - '65 - '66 Studebaker Larks

'64 - '65 - '66 - '67 - '68 - '69 Ramblers

'65 Marlin (change grille from the tooling , wheel covers) . Re-pop the '66 Marlin

'67 - '68 Ambassadors and any others you can do

'67 Marlin ..this is a bash of the '67 Ambassador and previous Marlins

'68 - '69 - '70 Javelins

The '71 - '72 - '73 - '74 Javelin AMX kits were all made by Jo Han . How about these for all 4 years . There was a time you bought a Javelin AMX kit and didn't know what year was in the box . Javelins all 4 years . . not the Javelin AMX's . A falt hood , without the overcowl air induction , spoiler on the deck and AMX grille . You would only have to tool up three grilles . The '73 - '74 was the same . The actual AMX grilles are a '71 with an ovelay attached .

I will support you with my purchases . I am sorry I could not afford every one you make . All these I would buy . J8st not all at the same time . Thanx for this oppertunity .

There are Mustangs from '65-'73. There are Camaros from '67-'73. There are Barracudas from '64-'71. There are no Javelins from '68-'70. Change the chassis, the body and the interior tub and you have an AMX.

There are a lot of cars that can be made from one model if thought out properly. And there would still be enough interest for the resin casters. The '59 Impala convertible was able to lead to 3 additional models. The '67 GTX lead to a few spin-offs. I'm surprised Monogram never brought out 1960 Cadillacs to go along with the '59 models.

I think the coming of the '55 Chrysler C300 has the same potential. Between DeSoto's and Chrysler's of '55 and '56 vintage, there is the potential for at least 4 to 6 cars with minimal fuss.

If IMC takes this tact with any furture projects, I would think life is good.

There are Mustangs from '65-'73. There are Camaros from '67-'73. There are Barracudas from '64-'71. There are no Javelins from '68-'70. Change the chassis, the body and the interior tub and you have an AMX.

As a point of order the Javelin was longer than the AMX..I'm aware of this because I owned a `68 Javelin and my neighbor owned a `68 AMX.