Model Cars Magazine Forum

mom and pop vs. big hobby shop

Hello, its 2013 calling, the old way of doing business is dying, either adapt or you will go out of business, its just how it is

So why is a universal complaint in every industry or business about poor customer service, and help who have no clue as to what the product is or how to support and sell it?

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

So why is a universal complaint in every industry or business about poor customer service, and help who have no clue as to what the product is or how to support and sell it?

Never said it was perfect, or good, yes, customer service is dying, its not good, that is just one of the many problems the business world faces, there is not easy answer

My comment was more about brick and motor stores, then customer service

Uh, Harry...posts 20 and 21, the two I'm referring to, are about businesses that are thriving because of good value for money and customer service, not some sappy nostalgia trip. They apparently realize that to maintain a viable bottom-line, it's good to have some awareness of how other things factor in.

When you talk about model cars and customer service... tell me how the most efficient, the friendliest, the most knowledgable LHS owner you've ever known has anything to offer that can't be found online?

Best price? I can do a google price search in 30 seconds.

Special orders? If I can't find what I'm looking for online, it can't be found.

Personal service? OK, that one I have to give to the old guy who runs the LHS. It's true, you can't replace that one-on-one personal interaction online. And if that's what you want when you shop for hobby stuff, then the LHS is the way to go. Me? I shop price. Period. I want a kit, I want to pay as little as possible for that kit. So I shop online. I don't need the "personal interaction" or the "hobby shop experience." But that's just me.

Okay, buying everything online for the cheapest possible price is perfect. Having no one who's actually knowledgeable or friendly in shops is perfect. And cutting quality to the bone in order to puff up the bottom line is perfect. I get it. Finally.

Just be sure to tell the guy who owns the hobby shop spoken of in post 20. He's obviously like the bumble bee... still flying because nobody's yet convinced him it's impossible.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

When you talk about model cars and customer service... tell me how the most efficient, the friendliest, the most knowledgable LHS owner you've ever known has anything to offer that can't be found online?

Best price? I can do a google price search in 30 seconds.

Special orders? If I can't find what I'm looking for online, it can't be found.

Personal service? OK, that one I have to give to the old guy who runs the LHS. It's true, you can't replace that one-on-one personal interaction online. And if that's what you want when you shop for hobby stuff, then the LHS is the way to go. Me? I shop price. Period. I want a kit, I want to pay as little as possible for that kit. So I shop online. I don't need the "personal interaction" or the "hobby shop experience." But that's just me.

I want to add, not every LHS has that friendly helpful old guy running the place, ours sure as hell dont, dont get me wrong, the guys that work in our LHS are for the most part friendly, they are only working the R/C stuff, they only carry the whats currently offered kit wise, the marks up are huge , tell you this for the price of a Japanese kit at the LHS, I can buy it online, and even after shipping, still have saved at least $10-15.

On Domestic kits, the savings would be around $5-$10, just depending on where its bought at online

This is not a attack on the LHS, its just how it is for me in my area, now, we do have one LHS that is good, but for me its a 40 mile each way trip, not making it worth while to go to all the time

There is also the matter of location. It's cheaper for me to drive 100 miles to a not so local lhs and purchase there than it is to buy online and have it shipped to Canada. If I see a kit at $15 from a U.S. seller and the same kit at a lhs for $22 it seems like the U.S. one is the better deal. But when it cost $25 to ship the $15 kit here it's not such a great deal. And forget about getting paint or glue or resin (for casting) across the border.

Now I know someone is going to say yeah but it cost you gas to get 100 miles away. True but I'm stocking up on other supplies and enjoying a club meeting the same day. I used to do more e-baying and other online buying but it's just become too expensive to do so for regular production kits when I'm going to be in the vicinity of a hobby shop anyway.

Edited by peter31a

Okay, buying everything online for the cheapest possible price is perfect. Having no one who's actually knowledgeable or friendly in shops is perfect.

It all depends on your perspective.

I've always been the type of person who does my own research before I buy. I almost never rely on a shop owner or a salesperson to "help" me. I usually know more about the product I intend to buy than the guy who's job it is to sell it to me. When I buy a car, I walk into the dealership with a file folder full of data. I know everything about the car I want. I know all the options, I know what the dealer paid for the car, etc. I'm a car salesman's worst nightmare.

When it comes to something as relatively inconsequential as buying a model kit, yep, I think I can figure out what's what on my own, without the friendly guy behind the counter needing to tell me what it is I need to know.

But again... that's just me. Your opinion (and mileage) may vary...

Well, for me personally, I like my LHS. These guys are personally into military, but carry a wide variety of cars and trucks. If there is something I found on the net that they don't have, they'll order it for me, and I don't have to pay for shipping. I almost always get it at the same price.

They also like to talk models, something my family gets tired of. And no I don't have a local club, but with a successful LHS, Michaels, and Hobby Lobby, you'd think there would be some interest.

I like the personal interaction, friendly service, and most everything the same day. They are also only 10 minutes from my house. And if I want they will open the box and let me look at the contents before deciding to buy. Can't beat that!

Why wouldn't you shop this way?

I'm not going to call it nostalgia, but some of us get a rush when we step into a hobby shop which has old, long-discontinued kits and matching prices. Maybe it's the thrill of the hunt, hoping you'll find that JO-HAN '70 Rebel Machine kit for $24.95 still sitting on the shelf, or maybe it's just the chance to look at those vintage kits, hold one in your hands, and look it over, even if you never intend nor can afford to buy it. Anyone who's found an old hobby shop like this knows exactly what I'm talking about. A member here even mentioned stopping in such a Mom & Pop hobby shop a few days ago in the WDYGT? topic.

Online shopping, and eBay in particular for model kits, is extremely convenient and provides most of what I'm looking for, but I still shop at my LHSs for kits and supplies, too, so there's room for both.

I've always been the type of person who does my own research before I buy. I almost never rely on a shop owner or a salesperson to "help" me. I usually know more about the product I intend to buy than the guy who's job it is to sell it to me. When I buy a car, I walk into the dealership with a file folder full of data. I know everything about the car I want. I know all the options, I know what the dealer paid for the car, etc. I'm a car salesman's worst nightmare.

Same here, but my perspective isn't either-or, only one way or the other. I think there's room for both. But probably ONE good reason for the internet being such a popular place to shop is just that. Everyone knows the likelihood of getting anyone competent to actually 'help' in a "can I help you?" context is next to nil, so why bother with the hassle.

I buy vintage online BECAUSE it's not available locally.

I buy materials and supplies online WHEN they're not available locally.

I buy CURRENT kits and supplies that ARE available, locally, partially because it's cheaper than paying shipping and I still enjoy going to a hobby shop and looking at everything that's NOT about my particular interest. I've found a lot of horizon-expanding things that way. Things for model trains, ships, RC cars and planes, science kits, doll houses...things I NEVER would have seen had I limited myself to just online shopping.

Room for both.

wow , sounds as if i'm not the only one who thinks customer service plays into sales. I would have spent more money with them , but I just didn't feel very welcome. we have a local hobby shop here in angola and I can go there to buy a tube of glue and end up leaving with a bag of supplies,not that I needed them but the owner talks to you , not only about what just came in, but every subject that doesn't even apply to the hobby. I don't know ,figured as long as this place has been around it would had been different.

....who thinks customer service plays into sales.....

y'all set?

howzitgoin'?

no problem!

I hate retail sales. at least buying through the internet I've only had one dealer call me and tell me I was a stinker*

*not exactly the word he used, but he did tell me not to order from him again.

I'm not going to call it nostalgia, but some of us get a rush when we step into a hobby shop which has old, long-discontinued kits and matching prices. Maybe it's the thrill of the hunt, hoping you'll find that JO-HAN '70 Rebel Machine kit for $24.95 still sitting on the shelf, or maybe it's just the chance to look at those vintage kits, hold one in your hands, and look it over, even if you never intend nor can afford to buy it. Anyone who's found an old hobby shop like this knows exactly what I'm talking about. A member here even mentioned stopping in such a Mom & Pop hobby shop a few days ago in the WDYGT? topic.

Online shopping, and eBay in particular for model kits, is extremely convenient and provides most of what I'm looking for, but I still shop at my LHSs for kits and supplies, too, so there's room for both.

I agree with that 100%, but what you guys to want to realize is that not every one here as access to those LHS, some of us are stuck with LHS that only carry current stuff, and only want to help you if you are buying R/C stuff, and if dont even think about trying to talk about plastic models, I would love to have some the LHS that you guys have in my area, and I would probably feel the same that you guys do, but we dont here , well we have one, but its not right around the corner for some us in the valley

Edited by martinfan5

The selection at my LOCAL hobby shop has dwindled to almost nothing over the last few months. I'll take a trip to Ypsilanti at least once a month, I would go more but it's an hour drive, one way. They don't have a HUGE selection, but they do have some OOP kits and I love talking/visiting with them, just GREAT people. If I'm looking for a specific kit that they don't seem to have he'll get on the internet right then and see if he can find it.

The selection at my LOCAL hobby shop has dwindled to almost nothing over the last few months. I'll take a trip to Ypsilanti at least once a month, I would go more but it's an hour drive, one way. They don't have a HUGE selection, but they do have some OOP kits and I love talking/visiting with them, just GREAT people. If I'm looking for a specific kit that they don't seem to have he'll get on the internet right then and see if he can find it.

Or you could have done that yourself in the first place and saved yourself the time and gas to drive to Ypsilanti and back.

Yes, but as I said, they're great people and I love going in there and talking to them. Plus, in most cases, they're prices are lower than internet prices. It costs me MAYBE $20 in gas round trip. It's nice to get out of the house once in a while instead of sitting in front of my computer.

In a week or 2 the internet will all have to charge sales tax and with shipping will swing things back to som local shops Most internet sales are because of convenience..

Umm, that bill still has to pass, and what I read a few days ago, it had not passed yet

They said today it should be passed this week.

Wow, we hit a nerve on this topic, eh?

As I was telling our MCM buddy, GluHead, I'm fortunate to have one of those old-fashioned privately owned LHS in my area.

Admittedly, the shop caters primarily to the Model Railroad guys, but the owner & employees make an honest effort to service the model car-ship-plane clan as well. Customer service there is great. The owner is willing to order most anything that I want if he doesn't already stock it. Prices are reasonable. The shop provides meeting space for local modeling clubs. I like being able to look at items and make a direct judgement on product quality, etc., before I buy it. And of course, I simply enjoy visiting the shop and talking with both the employees and other modeling nuts.

Last, but not least, here's the kicker. The shop owner makes a point of shopping estate sales, etc., and buys vintage stock for his store. A couple of shelves are dedicated to vintage model car kits!

I realize that I'm lucky to have this kind of shop in my area, where a lot of you have no resort other than internet shopping or driving insane distances.

With all due respect to internet shopping fans, I cannot see the logic in spending hours staring at a computer screen and trying to locate an item and make price comparisons, pay elevated shipping prices, then wait for days for the item(s) to arrive. I have better things to do with my time. I find it decidedly more convenient to visit the LHS....

They said today it should be passed this week.

should and it actually passing are two different things, and they also say that it might not as pass, just like another bill that goes before the house, but this is cutting it very close to that line of talking politics, so we should leave it at that.

Edited by martinfan5

I like being able to look at items and make a direct judgement on product quality, etc., before I buy it

With all due respect to internet shopping fans, I cannot see the logic in spending hours staring at a computer screen and trying to locate an item and make price comparisons, pay elevated shipping prices, then wait for days for the item(s) to arrive. I have better things to do with my time. I find it decidedly more convenient to visit the LHS....

A: How can you make a "direct judgement on product quality" by looking at the box?

B: A google price search for a model (or anything) takes just seconds. Then clicking on the store where you want to buy takes, again, seconds. And actually buying, seconds. Total time spent? Maybe a few minutes?

It's more convenient to drive to a hobby shop and buy? :blink: You can say you prefer a hobby shop for the "human interaction" or what have you. But you can't tell me it's more convenient to buy at a hobby shop than online.

And 9 times out of 10, the internet price plus the shipping is cheaper than paying the hobby shop price, plus sales tax, plus the gas (at over $4/gallon here) to get to the hobby shop and back. Total cost is the bottom line.

I'm not down on hobby shops. In fact, I wish there were more of them!

But when it comes to going to a store that has a limited inventory of kits, or going online and having literally the whole world's inventory at your fingertips, nobody is going to convince me that it's more convenient to shop at the LHS!

But, here's an example. The LHS in Ypsilanti got in the snap AMT Chevy Dooley Street Machine, anyone eBay shopping knows how the prices get. He had it for $25, held it for me for almost 3 months (car issues, didn't want to drive out of town til it was taken care of). When I did FINALLY make it up there, he knocked another 10% off my purchase. I also got the Tamiya Skyline GTR with BOTH sets of detail up parts for $32. Had $100 worth that day, only cost me $90. He's got 2 of the Johan Rambler Wagons, sealed, for, IIRC, $50 each. His prices on vintage/oop kits are much better than eBay or any other online vendor I've seen. I still do a LOT of shopping on eBay though. :rolleyes: