Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who makes the best model kits nowadays?

I've been away from the hobby for a long, long time. When I was a kid, I really like Monogram kits because they seemed to be the most detailed and I thought the instructions were the best. That was 45 years ago and now I have no idea which companies put a lot of effort into their kits. I still want to be able to read actual text like I did then, on how a particular part fits onto or into another part, and not just be shown with illustrations. Are modern kits like that of have they gone the way of Ikea picture-only instructions.

Thanks for any input guys.

Sounds like Moebius are the guys for you, then! Proper written instructions with exploded diagrams and photos of the assembled parts as a paint guide, too... Going the Moebius way will limit your choices of subjects, but you'll enjoy building the Chryslers, Hudsons, pickups and huge trucks they offer...

bestest,

M.

As a warning, however, the Lonestar's initial instructions were absolute garbage. The subsequent Hudson and Chrysler 300 instructions are great. If you pick up a Lonestar do yourself a favour and download the Revell Germany instructions from their website.

It really kinda depends on what you want to build, too. In my humble opinion, if you're into '50s cars, the Revell '50 Olds and '57 Fords are top-notch. Their '62 Corvette kits are very well done too. Though the instructions are pictorial, not written, they're well-drawn and pretty obviously self-explanatory. I really like the Fujimi Enthusiast-series, especially the Porsches, too.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

If its cars then Revells gonna get my vote for availability and relative ease of building. Planes....................well that's just all Eduard for me! Its just that simple for accuracy and detail. I will say, as Chillyb1 did, that Tamiya is in there too. They are fairly accurate and generally easy to build(at least with the kits that I've seen).

Edited by mustang1989

For Mopar builders, it's gotta be Revell.

Revell has some great Mopar kits, however JoHan has a much better selection and MCW has some good Mopar items as well. Of course Modelhaus has the '68 Dodge Coronet R/T kit that everybody thinks that Revell or another company would make before hell freezes over, but they can "dream on."

Instructions? Oh, yeah…As far as text and such goes, Moebius. Their kits are also top notch.

"The Best" is hard to ascertain, really. There are a lot of really nice models out there. The most recent Revell offerings are nice - albiet with some accuracy issues :wacko: - the '57 Ford and '50 Olds are beautiful kits. The 90s AMT kits (the kits tooled up in the 90s) are still some of the best models, IMHO. Later releases see a bit more flash, but they are still great kits. Tamiya is perennially one of the best manufacturers - very tight engineering and excellent fit - did I say tight? In recent years, Aoshima has been producing some outstanding model kits - and is probably the one kit maker that has improved the most - but if you don't have interest in Japanese style of modeling, they probably won't be of interest.

You can always search the reviews section here, too, to get a good idea of what's included in a kit and how it looks.

Goto a hobby shop and pick a "model' you like, not a company. Then ask advice about that kit. The companys are always re-releasing garbage from the past mixed with the current stuff. Seems the japanese companies are the most consistent with quality ..but you have to enjoy japanese subject matter.

I estimate that 90% of my kits are from the US model companies, because that's where my interests lie. However, IMHO most of the 10% of my built models that are from Japan/Germany are better. Perhaps I've just been lucky with the 15 or so that I've built.

The whole model building process just seems more enjoyable when working with well made parts that fit together without modification, and we are supposed to be having fun aren't we? :rolleyes:

Admittedly, they are more expensive than their US counterparts, but quality doesn't come cheap. I'll just quote one example- how do you like thin, clear, distortion-free glass that fits perfectly with positive gluing surfaces? (Or in some cases, without glue - bonus!)

As Top Gear said about Alfa Romeo, every petrolhead should have one at some point in their life. So it is with Japanese kits, every modeller should try one. And they aren't limited to Japanese subject matter - Mini, VW Beetle, 2CV, Aston Martin, McLaren, Morgan as well as a slew of exotic supercars. Even the aforementioned Alfa, so you don't have to buy a full size one ;)

Just my 20c worth, because I'm foreign too :lol: