Model Cars Magazine Forum

What are the worst kits you've ever built?

How can anyone miss the AMT 72 Nova? The Very first issue was ok, I own 2 of them, And the Ventura also, But when the were first made in the Black plastic issue, '83 0r so, The mold was broke From waht I have heard, And they fixed it, Then repopped that kit so many times they finally had to discontinue it permanently, Thats why we never got the 71-72 Ventura reissued back in 2004, They were both based on the same mold, Just different inserts, That kits a pile of overpriced junk also, If any of you have the Nova molded in white,Compare it to one of the newer issues of the kit. Pay close attention to the driverside rear quarter panel at the bodyline and roof area. A one piece body would have been great for that Ventura, You should of seen the look on my face when I bought that thing for $90,And opened up the box, to see what it looked like inside, If anyone wants to build that car Get the resin kit from Flintstone, And save your money.

I think one grows as a builder (like Chuck suggested) by taking the lemons and turning them into lemonade!

Yes, but if you start with rotten lemons, all you're going to end up with is rotten lemonade!

Also, I think that one's building skills really isn't important in a discussion such as this, because mainly it is a view of the kits themselves, not the individual builder. A case in point is the Fujimi Trans Am I posted last night, I have been building for almost 30 years and have learned many skills through those years but I just don't see the time and effort, nor the money I'd have to invest into donor kits, justified into turning that piece of junk into a proper Trans Am replica. There was a time in my modeling "career" I would have, becuase I was at a stage where everything had to be absolutely 100% correct, down to the firing order in the spark plug wiring including the proper position for the #1 plug wire position on the distributor cap, and I was getting so burned out on details that I almost quit the hobby all together because it was feeling more like a job. Even though I'm not a fan of the MPC/AMT Trans Ams of that era either, I can turn them into a much better model with much less time and effort than that Fujimi kit. My personal opinion, the only thing that would help it and some of the other kits on the list so far is a nice firecracker up their tailpipes!

I also forgot one The Jo-han "75" Cutlass Snap Kit, the front of the car looks NOTHING like the real car at all, They should have stopped while they were ahead And left the car a 73, The 74 is almost as bad. The 73 was perfect in my eyes. the other 2 years, Junk, Some one needs to make the proper headerpanel, Grills and Correct Front bumper up soon for the new release of the kit. That is the only Jo-Han kit I have ever seen that was a complete mess.

Anything that requires tremendous research and scratchbuilding to look halfway acceptable. My nominees for the worst kits ever produced by a supposedly major company (both of them originally Renwal) are:

• 1/12 Revell Ferrari 275 GTB

• Revell/Monogram 1/12 Mercedes Gullwing.

Bringing myself to build and improve either one of them is beyond intimidating.

Edited by sjordan2

Entex 1/43 kits are grossly oversized and horrible fit! and the Entex Pantera which states is 1/25 is acually 1/28th!

Entex is one the companies that would pick up molds from other brands that were going under, the Pantera is from Blue Tank which listed it as 1/28. Also have to watch stuff from Arii/Doyusha.

My least favorite.....or atleast the one that made me feel like I was ripped off (I knew what I was getting into with the old AMT/MPC kits) was that new, diecast based '70 Challenger R/T-T/A kit that used a Metal front axle (on a modern model :huh: ) and the option of building a 440 RB motor or 340 LA motor from the same block :blink:

Funny,all the kits I've bought are the worst kits I've built.... :huh:

I second that.

But there are gradual differences. My all time low spot must be the Revell 59 Retrac.

Having written this, I must say you haven't really lived unless you attempted to build Heller's Delahaye fire engine and their Paris bus. Say nothing. Try them, and revert back when done. Both of them were epic fails for me.

Edited by Junkman

I must say you haven't really lived unless you attempted to build Heller's ...................

Truer words have rarely been spoken. I have built Heller's 917 and Gordini and lived to tell of it. I have the Delahaye coupe and Mercedes 500K in the works now. I will want my macho badge issued after they are done!!!! :D

Tamiya - Not going to happen!

Even Tamiya has at least one turd- the 1:24 Jeep Wrangler. The body and interior look okay, but it looks more or less like they guessed their way through the development on the chassis and drivetrain. That and there's the questionable choices of molding the flares and running boards to the body, and those nasty gold 'snowflake' wheels. <_<

I'll be the last guy to claim any kit manufacturer as being faultless, but whenever somebody goes on about how all Tamiya kits are great, that's the one kit I think of first. (The '66 Beetle is pretty good, though. B) )

ok, here's an answer most of you never thought you'd hear: Pocher.

Yep, those incredibly expensive, incredibly complex and incredibly detailed 1/8 kits of classic Fiats, Alfas, Mercedes, RRs, Bugattis, etc. You would think that a kit that sold for several hundred bucks new (and these days routinely over a grand, if and when you can even find one) would have had some mighty impressive engineering, but no! As detailed and impressive as they are, you would be shocked to see just how many problems you come across building one... everything from parts that don't fit together very well to parts that don't fit together at all unless you perform major surgery. Doors and hood panels that don't fit into their respective openings, holes on the fenders for the mounting screws that are nowhere near their respective holes on the body, etc.

Building a Pocher and having it come out looking good in the end is a major headache, and probably more of a hassle than most sane people would be willing to put up with.

But I love them! :blink:

B)

Never built a Pocher (it's on my 'one of these days' list) but I've heard they're pretty lousy.

But in the case of a Pocher, just how impressive the thing looks when built might override the kit's not-so-goodness.

If a person has the skill (and the patience) to overcome the kit's flaws, the finished models are about as impressive as any scale model car you'll ever see. I've built quite a few of them, and I can say from experience that building one is the most frustrating and the most satisfying modeling experience you can have.

I left out a kit, the dukes police car,have you seen the engine bay of this thing,and the gap you gotta fill in from the wheelwells to the body at the most a half inch in some spots

There is an easy fix for that, AMT's '68-'71 B-Body chassis' fits nicely under it and is way, way better than stock!

I've been working on and off on a Model King Torino Nascar car. There are so many issues with the chassis - both fit and accuracy. It's the worst fitting kit I can remember doing right now. BUT it has been a great learning experience for me as I have scratch buillt parts and test fitted and test fitted and test fitted without yet throwing into a wall. I'm proud of myself and when (if) this car makes on the display shelf, I will look at with satisfaction and pride.

I had the same issues with their NASCAR Charger. It finally built into a decent replica but it fought me every step of the way.