Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peterbilt fire engine (Revell Snap + Trumpeter ALF) Just about done

A long time ago I started to combine a Revell Snap Peterbilt 359 kit with the rear body of a Trumpeter American LaFrance pumper. My goal was to make a "short" conventional pumper using the forward rear suspension location on the Peterbilt and mock up a new, smaller pump panel.

This is how the idea looked when I mocked it up a few years ago.

pete_engine.jpg

After a few moves and some more thought, I started to get this one going again. The rear of the cab wall was fixed, the passenger side battery box was removed and a fuel tank from the AMT Peterbilt 359 wrecker was mounted there instead. The chassis was modified simply to remove the driver side stack, which required filling of those mounting holes on the cab. Then came the paint, white with red accents.

Of course, after I painted the chassis and began assembly, I realized that I wanted to add a pseudo pump, and had to add that before installing the drive train. Don't look too closely, you wont see u-bolts where the pump connects to the shafts...I forgot about that.

IMG_4291_zps1a2f96d9.jpg
IMG_4295_zpsf320f526.jpg
IMG_4292_zps38dd651d.jpg

The front bumper was modified to store rolled hose, but a front mounted intake just doesn't work with this particular cab design. I'll have to convert it to a small trash line.

And here's the mock up with the pumper body and pump panel. Both side intakes will have rolled hose, the officer's side will be connect, but the driver's side will not be.

IMG_4290_zpsd644e0ae.jpg
IMG_4288_zps1d763bd8.jpg

I did open up the grill on the snap kit, but I cheated and cut off the vertical supports. I used half round to put them back in and give the black mesh ribbon something to mount to.
IMG_4289_zps2047f9df.jpg

The bumper currently isn't attached, I had to make additional arms so that it would mount to the frame properly. I also drilled out the lights in the bumper and added sirens from the 1/32 Mack pumper kit. Regular strobe lights will be added later on in assembly.

I did modify the pumper body slightly. I’m building this truck for a volunteer fire department, so water quantity is a strong requirement. The College Park ALF pumper is only designed to carry 500 gallons, I wanted 1000 gallons, but I settled for 750 gallons by raising the hose bed and replacing the back panel with diamond plate, a couple of steps, and two non-functional doors. I could have gone for more water storage, but I would have just built a new, longer body instead of recycling this one.
IMG_4298_zps59e011be.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow I can get the body and pump panel into some primer, this humidity isn't real nice for painting this rig right now. Once everything is painted, I'll start placing the decals, make the hose load, then add all of the other little details to finish this one out.

I do apologize in advance for the poor picture quality.

Let me know what you think.

Edited by explorer2770

This is a great idea and an awesome way to carry it out...That's a pretty good idea for the grill....It looks a lot better than the kit version.....As far as the functionality of this thing, I don't think anybody at the fire station is going to be looking THAT closely.....I think you'll be all right....This is already an outstanding build.....I can't wait for the finished product....Awesome.....I might try my hand at one of these....

Edited by kilrathy10

Guys, thanks for the comments. This build has been a labor of love, in and out of boxes for quite some time. I've been making some more progess, I have the pump panel in the paint shop and filled some holes in the pumper body, plus added the hose bed dividers and started working on the hose loads. Since this isn't going to be an ALF any more, and a slightly older vehicle, I opted to remove some of the strobe lights.

IMG_4301_zpsb5b2d566.jpg

IMG_4303_zps30cf4593.jpg

IMG_4305_zps61205299.jpg

IMG_4304_zpsb1223545.jpg

Found some imperfections in the pump panel and still need to finish wet sanding the body before I shoot some primer.

I'm just glad that I changed to red over white paint scheme instead of the previous green over tan. The white and red looks much better.

IMG_0648a.jpg

I know I'm going to have to redo the Silverado brush truck to match the new scheme...or make a new one.

Edited by explorer2770

Well, here's some progress on the pump panel. Black gauges and pull handles have been added as well as BMF and alumnium foil to the diamond plate. Still working on the crosslay loads.

IMG_4306_zps1acdfe38.jpg

IMG_4308_zpsd07139f9.jpg

IMG_4307_zps506b5076.jpg

All of the handles work, they still need "labels". The 45 degree discharge fittings need some BMF then those can be added.

Some more progess. Last night I started adding markings, mounted the air cleaner and luberfiner, the modified exhaust stack, and the front bumper. The grab handle still needs to be added to the driver's side, but that will come in final assembly. he pump panel is loose since I plan to mount it to the pumper body before I mount it to the chassis.

Enjoy.

IMG_4318_zps239e8d97.jpg

IMG_4320_zps421cb057.jpg

IMG_4319_zps8272c7e6.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...