Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Ford Galaxie 7L kit?

I was just looking further Mark, found this box cover :) Is this the only 1966 kit, or is there any better version?

Reading some comments (on this forum, from search) indicates the details of this kit are not great? Any other-source components I should seek out? since I haven't this kit in my hands of course, it will save time to know/order in advance

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/uploads/post-13034-0-07574300-1407697205.jpg

Edited by Jeremy Jon

curiosity is getting the better of me. this kit is the ONLY 1966 Ford Galaxie 500 7Litre produced. the 7Litre (Ford 428) is virtually indistinguishable from any other FE engine other than by expert examination. the chassis plate from this kit can be exchanged with the one from the 1965 easily to obtain better detail underneath. outwardly, the 7Litre is marked only by badging and the use of the upmarket diecast grille instead of the stamped aluminum unit on lesser cars. this kit has the diecast grille, the correct console, the correct outside badging, and a very good representation of the FE engine as discussed. as a matter of fact, i had to remove badging, fabricate a grille, replace the bucket seats and console, and swap an automatic trans into one of these to more accurately replicate one of my 1:1 personal cars from the early '90's. is the fact that it's an AMT repop THAT damaging?

I like this kit, builds up nicely, looks good. Stance needs some fiddling, but considering it was tooled nearly 50 years ago, it's great. Never liked the 65 kit, 66 chassis is fine unless you want to go nuts. I like the SOHC parts too, sick for that motor, someone I'm sure doesn't like it but it looks good compared to period pics.

66 original issue convertible is nice as well, I've got uptop I think came with it, 65 had one too.

There was a late Restomod issue with turquoise car on cover that had correct upholstery on late model buckets, couple other things that were nice. Tool has held up well.

I have this kit. I can post pictures of whats inside the box when I get home. It's a pretty unrealistic chassis, almost a promo/curbside. It's an old kit thats been reissued from time to time. Nothing to write home about.

Hi Jesse, yes that would be very helpful, Thanks!

I'd say keep the '66 chassis- there's no real need to replace it with the '65 component. I'm sure some will say the '65 chassis is better just because it has more separate parts, but the '66 just looks better to me.

There isn't anything wrong with the '66 kit's 427, but if you wanted an engine with better block and head detail you could always borrow the appropriate bits from a Revell Thunderbolt/Fairlane, as others have mentioned.

If you want more engine detail, you can get the motor and transmission from the AMT 1966 Fairlane 500 427 kit. THAT was the engine to shoot for on a 7 Litre Galaxie. It was the optional engine over the 428. The 427 was even more powerful than the 428, that was a smooth torque machine. The optional R-Code 427 side oiler, that is the engine on the Fairlane 427, had a hotter cam, aluminum intake manifold, and two Holley or Autolite four barrel carburetors that would deliver honest 425 Hp against 345 Hp of the regular 428.

Also, the 427 was only available with the Top Loader four speed transmission.

IIRC , the original '66 AMT kit had the full detail chassis as did the '66-70 Galaxies and for the 70 MY was the 4 dr . Sedan Galaxie in the Motor City Series . This one , the Motor City Series , had a "beefed up front suspension" to avoid the natural "Sag" over time . MPC started this detail;ed multi-piece authentic suspensions in the '64 MY with the Corvette Kit . This Sag I refer to is the "toe out'' as the build sits on the shelf . You should see this on my '64 Revelle Thunderbolt . The Inner sidewalls is where the weight of the front end is resting on This was built in the '90's When the kit was brand new . I have a Monogram '34 Duesenbergh with "toe out" that would not leave the Factory . I build Factory Stock and it is an eyesore to me as others experiencing the same problems . I built this on in '79 . Then there is the Typo (? , model name escapes me now ) Bugatti . Jean Buggatti designed in the late '30's . Not the Atlantic , the next one in line . The rear suspension is perfection in reduction of scale . Unfortunately , steel is stronger than Plastic . I've repaired this one every time I move it .

I just looked at my build up '66 Galaxie 7 Litre . Built in 1987 and sitting on a shelf since . The kit Supplied Valve covers would be correct to a '66 MY , sans the Chrome . A Chrome Dress up kit was a Factory Option . Chromed ; Air Cleaner / silencer housing , Valve Covers and Fan . The '64 My was the last year for the 'rounded Valve Covers" as the '65 and newer are angled .

The Chassis had separate exhausts , suspension . It is Beefed up like the '70 MY Galaxie . Separate lower control arms ect. . The spindles are blocks on the Framework with a hole for a metal axle . Myself , I prefer these , I'll take all I can get of these flat engraved with holes for metal axles . This and the later Ford / Mercury kits had NASCAR options as one of the ; 3 'n 1 choices .

Thanx ..

Edited by dimaxion

If you want more engine detail, you can get the motor and transmission from the AMT 1966 Fairlane 500 427 kit. THAT was the engine to shoot for on a 7 Litre Galaxie. It was the optional engine over the 428. The 427 was even more powerful than the 428, that was a smooth torque machine. The optional R-Code 427 side oiler, that is the engine on the Fairlane 427, had a hotter cam, aluminum intake manifold, and two Holley or Autolite four barrel carburetors that would deliver honest 425 Hp against 345 Hp of the regular 428.

Also, the 427 was only available with the Top Loader four speed transmission.

The funny thing is that the 427 did not have 427 cubic inches displacement, it was closer to 425 cubic inches, but Ford thought 427 sounded better and 7 litre was the limit for road racing sanctioning bodies back in the day so they chose to call the engine 427.

The 428 was 7 litres and was a lot cheaper to manufacture than the for racing only 427, the 428 has longer stroke and smaller cylinder bore than the 427 and was easier to cast so they went over to that and phased out the 427.

The 427 had the same 3.78 inch stroke as the 390 and 4.23 inch bore wich adds up to 424.744 ci and the later 428 had 3.985 inch stroke and 4.135 inch bore wich adds up to 427.896 ci.

Edited by Force