Model Cars Magazine Forum

Excalibur SSK 1/12 modified

LaughingIndian

That , sir, is awesome !!!

You Frankensteined together a beauty

I saw a thread about using fine wire around the pulleys to give them some more 3D effect with the belts...have to search for it

Ever done that??

No, but I did see tape used that looked good. I learned as a kid that black rubber bans are the best ... for about 2 months

I am going onto bonkers looking for it now

Dang not were I thought, but this is a cool Miustwng engine build with lots of scratch

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=91238&page=10

Gotta walk the hound dog before she explodes!!!

Thanks for the inspiration. The belt is hacked from the kit to accomodate the added alternator and ... it ... is ... a mess. So the fact that you noticed :mellow: I will clean up and touch up with some flat black ...

Thanks for the reminder about the dog!

• 4 weeks later...

progressivo interrupti per paintorosso ... I screwed up the paint.

After a huge success on getting the perfect effect of a realistic 'satin black' using krylon Fusion spray, I decided to touch up a small area on the doors and cowl ( I detected a slight mottling). Big mistake. I should have left alone. Too much of this stuff makes TAR. I just spent most of my April late night modeling time stripping, sanding, painting, stripping, painting, stripping, painting ... etc. It still ain't right and will have to go glossier to even out the paint but here's some progress shots:

DSCN1569_zps0mcqkawh.png

I'll probably knock the bumper back like the original SSK and deal with the Mass. Inspections at the same time as the fender less wheels:

DSCN1585_zpswvgagsgx.png

DSCN1577_zpsivab1mtb.png

Now for a mid-sixties treatment to the side exhaust (Michae'ls scrapbook dept sells nifty tools):

DSCN1597_zps7ndc0afh.png

Edited by LaughingIndian

Only 3 pictures of a cute cat with message to click on. Couldn't see the photos.

Oh oh ... Thanks Bob for the catch but I can't see what you see (or aren't seeing).

I'm on a iPad and just checked on a MacBook and I only see greatness (?)

Anybody else see a cat instead?

Sorry about this.

Keep the pictures coming, I have this kit and like what your doing with yours.

Thanks Dan. You're going to have fun with this kit no matter what you do, but watch the lacquer on this plastic and keep it to two coats including primer. I'm kicking myself for not decanting the spray can I used while my airbrush sat in a corner. Still learning I guess ...

DSCN1430_zpsarqgs0zr.png

Did you use any form of reinforcement when you relocated the spindles on the uprights, or did you just glue them back on?

If the latter, what glue did you use?

Btw. you made me search for my kit - and I found it. So it's all your fault, really. I can not be blamed...

DSCN1430_zpsarqgs0zr.png

Did you use any form of reinforcement when you relocated the spindles on the uprights, or did you just glue them back on?

If the latter, what glue did you use?

Btw. you made me search for my kit - and I found it. So it's all your fault, really. I can not be blamed...

It was easy to cut flush and I then sanded both parts smooth which offered a great surface to super glue (CA). I use Loctite Professional of North America, Henkel In Europe. I didn't see a reason to reinforce with a peg.

You're going to like this kit, so I'll take the heat ...

Edited by LaughingIndian

I bloody well like it now! To say I was lukewarm to it before, would be an understatement of downright British proportion.

You are the one who woke me up to it. I am now forming that plan in my head, to make a symbiosis of the original design and that hot rod thing that obviously totally normal Dutchman came up with, which you so skillfully adopted for your own interpretation of the theme.

You triggered it. I'm not responsible...

But when God distributed the OMGSKILZ, you got the lion's share of them.

I didn't quite understand the shortening of the frame in the rear. I mean, if you shorten the frame, you need to shorten the leaf springs too, no?

Edited by Junkman

I bloody well like it now! To say I was lukewarm to it before, would be an understatement of downright British proportion.

You are the one who woke me up to it. I am now forming that plan in my head, to make a symbiosis of the original design and that hot rod thing that obviously totally normal Dutchman came up with, which you so skillfully adopted for your own interpretation of the theme.

You triggered it. I'm not responsible...

But when God distributed the OMGSKILZ, you got the lion's share of them.

I didn't quite understand the shortening of the frame in the rear. I mean, if you shorten the frame, you need to shorten the leaf springs too, no?

Purely aesthetics. I figured the original design (see sketch of green car first page) was compromised when they decided to use a Studebaker chassis. I found this site on hot-ridding and figured I could do what I did:

http://www.how-to-build-hotrods.com/leaf-springs.html

... and thanks for the compliment but I rate my skills as semi-moderate. And that's bragging.

Edited by LaughingIndian