Model Cars Magazine Forum

How big is your work table ?

I've become a big fan of LED lights. They are expensive but very energy efficient and create almost no heat. I have 11 LED lights over my bench, four 50w spots and 7 90w floods. They only draw about 200w total and I would cook like an easy bake oven if they were incandecents.

• 5 weeks later...

Right now, the house is under MASSIVE re-organization, so I've even lost my TV tray! I'm hoping to have some space in the next 2-3 weeks again.

Barring that, I'm seriously looking at using a friend's dining room table sometime in the next couple of weeks so I can get a couple of projects finished.

Charlie Larkin

Tony that's a nice and clean set up.

Here is mine, its been couple of months since i started in modeling still setting up.

IMG_0520.jpg

Im working on getting more paints. maybe some different brands.

IMG_0521.jpg

My spray both, airbrush and a Model.

IMG_0522.jpg

Under the table compressor, vacuum for casting resin parts and other stuff.

IMG_0524.jpg

Rest of my stuff in the drawers and my small collection. the space on the left is going to be the drying both haven't finished yet.

IMG_0523.jpg

Edited by Zeekodadi

Thanks Zee, you will always be changing something in your layout. Mine is only clean because I don't build in the summer months due to my work schedule so I clean it up in June and star making a mess again in September, but I do use what time I due have in my off season to plan my builds and get supplies for the winter months.

Mine's about yay big, portable, too, since it is an old cutting board. Call me weird, I'm more comfortable sitting cross-legged on a couch.

Typical situation where the actual work space is small in proportion to the space occupied by the surrounding tools. Computer nearby for reference material searching, while other parts and building material is in a nearby room.

post-12144-0-43117300-1374799735_thumb.j

Russell, what scale is that car you're working on? And what is it?

That's the old Gowland & Gowland 1:32 scale '29 Duesenberg, a glue bomb which my dad bought at a garage sale 'cause he thought it was rare and valueable. I tried selling it on eBay with a starting bid of 99 cents, to no avail, then I thought about using it as a campfire starter for my Colorado summer vacation, but then I came up with a blasphemous idea of a reasonably fun and simple model to build, that would mess with other people's minds. Stay tuned.

MVC009F-vi.jpg

My portable workstation is the board you see here on top of my work bench. It was scrap wood from breaking down an old kitchen cabinet. It became my work surface to protect my kitchen table back before I ever had a model room. Back then I'd put it up on top of the refrigerator every night so my little kids couldn't get at my model project or tools. Those kids are 25 and 29 now.

Today it protects my bench (which is an old hollow core door covered with brown paper). Still if I decide to work elsewhere, I'll take the board with me down to the kitchen table, out on the patio table and I've even taken it on vacation with me. It's turned into a lucky charm for me considering I've been building all my projects on it for 30 years now!

MVC009F-vi.jpg

My portable workstation is the board you see here on top of my work bench. It was scrap wood from breaking down an old kitchen cabinet. It became my work surface to protect my kitchen table back before I ever had a model room. Back then I'd put it up on top of the refrigerator every night so my little kids couldn't get at my model project or tools. Those kids are 25 and 29 now.

Today it protects my bench (which is an old hollow core door covered with brown paper). Still if I decide to work elsewhere, I'll take the board with me down to the kitchen table, out on the patio table and I've even taken it on vacation with me. It's turned into a lucky charm for me considering I've been building all my projects on it for 30 years now!

cool story, thx for sharing