Model Cars Magazine Forum

Woohoo! I'm now a Journeyman plumber.

LDO

I checked the mail when I got back from an out of town trip today. I passed the test I took last week, and now I'm a Journeyman. I live in Texas, and we have really strict plumbing regulations. I was a Tradesman, which meant I could not work on commercial or multi-family jobs without supervision. It also meant that I could not work with propane gas without supervision. My new license will let me be a more valuable employee..and get me a pay raise. I'm a happy guy.

I got home kinda late for celebrating. I didn't go out with friends. I just got a couple of weird beers from the grocery store and I'm cranking some early Led Zeppelin.

I just got a couple of weird beers from the grocery store and I'm cranking some early Led Zeppelin.

I was expecting Journey, man. :(

Journey-Frontiers-vinyl-album.jpg

:lol:

Congrats, Lee. Make sure you get some of those Plumber's shirts form Duluth Trading Co. with the tail, alright? ^_^

Tomorrow is our monthly meeting at the shop. I'll sit down with the boss to talk about a pay raise. Plumbers are in high demand in Texas right now. If I don't like the number, I can go to any number of other companies... In theory, anyway. My employer treats us well, and there's plenty of overtime if we want it. Enough that less per hour here can mean more take home than somewhere else...and I have no plans to go to a shop that pays commission.

Yes, be careful when considering alternative employment. Write down every aspect of your compensation, including any employer paid for perks. Look over your medical plan and what it costs you out of pocket each month, and what your costs are when you actually use it. For instance, someone I know paid $100 a month towards his benefits, and went to a new job he thought was a step up and was horrified to find he would pay $100 a week!