Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aston Martin DB4 kit?

... The body proportions are a little off but still not a bad kit.

True. Nicely detailed with opening panels and chassis bits, but if you want a very accurate model of a DB, you'll have a lot of work to do. It makes a great start for a cool custom though, as in bill_67's post.

The body proportions are a little off but still not a bad kit.

The most obvious error, which throws the look of the car off, is the roofline over the side windows. You can't see the error easily on the box art of either release of the kit, but the line of the top of the windows should rise all the way to the A pillar. The Monogram kit has a "hump", highest about half way along the window. I haven't done the measurements yet to decide whether it needs fixing by filling in underneath, or cutting away at the front to flatten the line to the windshield... but something needs to be done!

bestest,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

What jumps out at me immediately from Greg's pix: the lower body sides on the real car have more inward-curvature, the windshield goes up into the roof a bit higher, the tops of the door windows are a flatter line on the real one, the tops of the rear quarter-panels do't droop at the back as the model does...and the tail doesn't appear to be so slab-sided and heavy, the tops of the front fenders are rounded as they come forward into the headlight bezels (not straight like the model), the grille of the real car slants back more at the bottom (and is really a prettier shape), the hood scoop is significantly different in shape and curvature too, and the side vents on the front fenders are smaller on the 1:1.

Now, if you want to get really picky... ;)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

All true, but a lot of that can be improved with some careful sanding -- the body shell is reasonably thick! The hood scoop is a case of check your references -- there are at least two different styles I've seen, so your car might have either. The biggy is that side window/windscreen issue, which is going to mean new glazing... If I get a minute, to dig them out, I'll line up the bodies of the Airfix James Bond Aston, the Monogram DB4 and the Doyusha DB5, and we can do a straight compare and contrast...

bestest,

M.

For a car we're not familiar with, a car we seldom see, if ever, any of these models will do the trick. They are all nicely detailed kits that you, my friend, can add any amount of detail you wish. ;) Find one for a price you are willing to pay, and have at it. :P

... If I get a minute, to dig them out, I'll line up the bodies of the Airfix James Bond Aston, the Monogram DB4 and the Doyusha DB5, and we can do a straight compare and contrast...

I'd love to see that. I've got a couple of the old Aurora / Revell-Monogram releases, and after looking at more photos of the real cars, I'm itching to try to build a somewhat corrected one. The real one is such a beautiful car, and the models I have miss it by a fair margin.

Here is the body from this kit.

DSCN2683-vi.jpg

Thanks for that. Again, from that angle the sides are too slabular, window profiles aren't right, proportion of greenhouse to body looks a little off, tail profile droops on top and should be more of a curved rising line on the bottom...hmmm...interesting.