Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '64 Chevy Impala SS

VW93

What was the last issue of the 64 besides the annual and kit # T222-200 that still had the roll bar, head light covers, open steel wheels and tow bar?

Besides these parts it would be great if Round2 could include the original side pipes, custom hood scoop and tail lights and disc brake hub and jack stand in the 2015 re issue.

The Street Shaker (T408) has the roll bar, but not the head light covers, steel wheels, or tow hook. The roll bar wasn't in the "Countdown" issue (2203) and I don't think it's been seen since.

At least some of the made-in-China kits from the RC2 era included the disc brake hub.

Would be neat to see all that other stuff too. I wouldn't mind seeing the annual's battery box and switch, along with the clear headlights and taillight backing piece either. I can live without the light bulbs and battery contacts and stuff, but it would be nice to get any of the molded-plastic parts from the working head- and tail-light setup that may still be in the mold.

Edited by Don Sikora II

Thanks for the info Don.

I'd like to see the clear lights restored also but I'd be happy to have the roll bar, tow bar and other parts in the 2015 re issue.

If it's going to be the same as the past re issues I'll pass on it as I have a couple of those. Should they restore the above mentioned parts I would get a couple of the 2015 version.

The T-222 Super Street issue (1968) had everything the annual issue had, except the battery box and switch. Mine even has the light transfer bars, though they aren't mentioned in the instructions. The grille has headlamp detail, though the detail is "clocked" (as though the sealed beams were installed crooked). That was fixed with the next issue, the Street Shaker. The license plate areas on the bumpers still have "1964" in the Super Street issue.

The Super Street (1968) issue had everything but the battery box and switch. The Street Shaker (1973) deleted all of the customizing parts, the headlamp covers, the tow bar, and the light transfer bars. The Halibrand wheels were replaced by baby moon/reversed wheels, and the open wheels were replaced by unplated Cragar S/S wheels. Next issue after that (Countdown series) restored the custom parts (though the grille was altered). The Cragar S/S wheels moved to the plated tree and the reversed wheels were deleted. That's pretty much the way the kit has stayed since.

The 1973 issue Street Shaker T408 didn't have any custom parts and screw chassis deleted. Most of the custom parts came back with the Countdown Series in 1977-8.

The clear head lights are included in the 1968-9 issue, but the grille holes are filled in. Last issue of 1964 dated bumper and screw chassis. The convertible version was not offered in 1969. Never came back.

It would be interesting if somebody who has experience, or has seen the tools to make these plastic kits, to comment about the insert pieces that compose the kit.

When you look at several issues of that '64 Impala kit, you see parts appearing and disappearing, or replaced by another part. I know that the original mags were replaced. Sometimes with baby moons and sometimes with unlabled Cragars.

The question to me is where are the individual inserts, or are parts of the tool closed off?

that is a pretty strange setup there, with that whole bar of clear plastic molded to support the four headlamp lenses! the grille is a solid piece so it wouldn't even be seen through the grille. sure makes it easy to mount the lenses though, as long as it fits well

jb

It's a "light transfer bar". Only two bulbs were included; one for the front, one for the rear. The bulb snapped into the transfer bar which would then light up when the switch was flipped, making the lenses glow a bit. Same deal for the back, except for the red lenses. The '64 Galaxie kits had the same arrangement.

Yes, thanks Don for showing us the original kit. Is there any chance of seeing the instructions showing how those light were set up. With only two bulbs, I don't see how one got light to the taillights. And we're were the batteries stored for these lights. Were they in the car? Or a seperate box?

Scott

One bulb in the front, in the middle of the transfer bar. Same in the rear. The battery box (on the sprue with the stock seats) went in the trunk. the lever-looking thing next to it stuck down between the chassis plate and the 1/4 panel and turned the lights on. I have never seen the Impala, but had the Galaxie convertible back in the day.

After seeing the instructions, and how that setup worked, I'd be willing to buy another '64 if they restored that feature back into the kit.

Now question is, does anybody have any photos of these lights in action, on either a Chevy or a Ford kit? It would be fun to see how well they worked.

Scott

The light bar worked like fiber optics. The light followed from the bulb to other ends of the bar to each head light.

Used 2 grain of wheat bulbs

The '64 Impala frame still has the cut away that allowed the light switch handle to be moved back and forth below the frame. The box had to be lined up and glued to the underside of the trunk so that the switch bar would swing back and forth. Used 2 AAA batteries in the box, that required unscrewing the frame to get to them. The phosphor bronze clips in the box relaxed against the battery or was pushed out by the swing bar when lights were to be off.

The Ford did not get a cut out in the frame to allow the bar to swing.

I would used LEDs today. The grain of wheat bulbs just glowed sort of dull.

Because the grain of wheat bulbs did not direct light, they lit up the whole inside of the car. This required painting black the inside of the body to stop the light from glowing through the plastic. LEDs would not have that problem.

One year only experiment (1964). Just like the AMT Turnpike slot cars (1962).

thanks for the info on that clear plastic bit. I have had slot cars with similar arrangement, 1 or 2 bulbs and then these clear plastic sprue kinda things that went to the light outlets. it actually works pretty nice if you look straight on at the lights, from much of an angle it really drops off. but I found if you paint the outside (obviously) of the clear plastic connector area with chrome paint, it transfers the light a little better. or seemed to with the slot cars I had.

jb

Okay, got some comparison pictures of kit #6564 from about 1983.

The tree with the custom seats and exhaust dumps remains the same as it was back in 1964.
The tree with the roll bar, jack stand, harness and seat belts is missing. There are no seat belts at all in the newer release.

A is where the custom wheel was

post-12704-0-81620100-1416947918_thumb.j

Part 2

For some reason I couldn't load Don's original picture, this is from kit #6564

A Headlight Covers
B Side Pipe Pods
C Battery Box for Lights
D Lever for Battery Box

Also note the addition of the wheel inners to the right of the hood .

post-12704-0-49306700-1416948476_thumb.j

Part 3
A Interior Washers
B Steel Rims
C Tow Bar
D Tow Bar Tabs
E Custom Hood Scoop

Note the addition of two more wheel inners

post-12704-0-09197800-1416953539_thumb.j

Part 4

A Side Pipes
B Disc Brake Rotor and Caliper