Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jean Todt's Ferrari FXX

David Thibodeau

The illusive FXX that no one knows if it exists! Even Ferrari will not acknowledge its existence. Many say it became Schumacher's Metallic Black FXX but there is no concrete evidence. One thing that is evident.....

P1010032-vi.jpg

SCALE MOTORSPORT FXX SUPER KIT...... its awesome.... the decals are unlike any I have ever seen or used...................

P1010039-vi.jpg

The Superkit states to paint the pieces black and the decal does the rest.......

P1010040-vi.jpg

P1010041-vi.jpg

As you can see they are overlays that provide an incredibly realistic weave! In fact if you were going for the flat carbon look they are perfect!! They are very thin.... and the instructions say to only use DECAL SET, Not SOLVENT... and they are right. Apply them, coat them with set and walk away and they do their magic.....

And the real magic happens after 2K clear... ;):lol:

I wanted blinding gloss!!! Look at these body pieces.... the weave is simply breathtaking...... thats dupont 2k clear freshly applied.... it needs time to shrink back and only minor polishing.....

P1010042-vi.jpg

P1010043-vi.jpg

P1010044-vi.jpg

P1010045-vi.jpg

P1010046-vi.jpg

Welp, I was waiting for someone to do it, with the 70 piece template...having fun? :lol: Now this is decal heck!

This is just one cool ride for that lucky guy that get's to work with racing ones B) I want to see the real one and pick it up.

Your decal work is plain phenominal ;) It looks like the real thing. That paint you use and the clear is outstanding. So shiny and the decals seemed to lay down well, what's your method? I love the weave and the rear section is my favorite. :P

that is just freaking amazing and awesome! the decals looked awesome already, but with the clear they just came to life! i don't have the FXX kit, but i do have the regular Enzo, is it possible to do that kit the same way?

Dave

Probably not there was a lot of small body differences where the decals don't fit, especially around the headlamps.

Dave I can already see that this will be a phenomenal build! Absolutely fantastic decal work. As was mentioned earlier your decal and clear are masterpieces.

You are a braver man than I at attempting that.

I'm excited to see this finished!

Chris

Thanks guys, here are more pics of the goodies in this superkit from SMS............

Look at all the goodies!! And photoetch!!!!

P1010047-vi.jpg

P1010048-vi.jpg

Oh and I did what polishing was needed with 2000 grit and perfect it III rubbing compound from 3M.... Now I need to decide on the stripes or not.......I mean what is totally cool about these decals is how there is a bonding stripe down the middle of the whole car. That makes the weave all the more convincing and the stripe will hide that.... I need votes!! ;D Stripe or no stripe?

P1010049-vi.jpg

P1010050-vi.jpg

DaveT