Model Cars Magazine Forum

79 Z-28 pro-touring - update 12/18

Jantrix

I wish I knew why, but a parts box build or a serious kit bash gets my creative juices flowing like nothing else. I had plans to start another project, but when I noticed this bagged incomplete kit I put the other back on the shelf.

Most of this kit is the Revell-Monogram 79 Z-28. Wheels and tires are from the Mustang Mach III concept, the engine (sorry Chevy guys, but this is a parts box build after all) is a Viper V10. Not much scratching or stuff just a great stance and some attitude. This is my inspiration, the F-Bomb Camaro.

f_bomb.jpg

Here's where I am now.

006.jpg

002.jpg

More soon.

Edited by Jantrix

Stasch, I'm not having any problems so far. The front suspension is lowered and I'm real close to the final stance. I think I'll take it down in the back about an 1/8th of an inch tops. The V10 fits perfectly with only moving/altering the tranny mount. Paint will be flat olive green like the F-Bomb with some bomber nose art on the doors.

009.jpg

011.jpg

Anyone who knows me know that I don't ask for advice that often. My own twisted vision is usually enough. However I'm at an impass.

I'd like to make the exhaust a focal point of this build. However I'm torn on what to do.

Big 'ol fat nasty sidepipes?

Standard exhaust exiting through the rear fenders?

Just open exhaust exiting the back of the front fenders?

I wide open for suggestions please.

Great idea, I cant wait to see what you do with the nose art.

This is the piece I'm putting on the doors sans the 'Unexpected Surprise'. I'll be adding 'Here Comes Trouble' with some model railroad dry transfer lettering. girlbomb.jpg

Still kicking around the exhaust. Double D, how do you straighten the solder? When it comes off the roll its full of minute bends and so forth.

Edited by Jantrix

Hey Rob, looking good man. That nose art is cool, cant wait to see it all come together. As for straightening solder, unravel a bit more than what you think you'll need, leave it attached at the reel end then pull it tight with a pair of pliers . I'll usually wipe it with a soft cotton rag before cutting off the ends. Hope this helps.:lol:

Brett

Thanks Brett. I'll be using some shortly for the sidepipes that I'm going to be building.

Some engine work and she's sitting on all four paws(at the same time even).

007-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

Some work coming up on the radiator and intake. Many thanks to plowboy who is sending me some wheels to replace the nasty ones I have. For the sidepipes, I'm going to raise the bottom of the doors about three scale inches so the pipes can sit higher like they would on a Cobra. So far so good.

Edited by Jantrix

• 1 month later...

LOL. :rolleyes: Made you look. While I was taking these pictures, my wife said, "Why are you taking pics now? It looks terrible in the primer and filler. It's like taking pictures of a woman with her hair still in curlers."

Well after a brief trip into the land of rust with my junkman's trailer, I'm back at this Camaro. This Camaro was screaming for some sidepipes. The wheels plowboy sent me are done and mounted, as you can see. Still no idea on paint. I have sort of fallen away from the original F-Bomb idea. I just hate olive drab, maybe a flat dark blue to go with the decal better? Here's some pics. Criticism welcome.

002-2.jpg

003.jpg

007.jpg

Well,honestly Rob,those wheels don't suit the the car to me. I'll admit that I'm obsessive over wheels and tires. I change them back and forth on every build I do. Sometimes I go back and change them after I finish them. :lol: If it were my model, I would take the stock Z wheels,paint 'em black(or whatever color)and slip them inside a set of Pegasus sleeves with tires. You would be amazed how cool stock wheels can look inside those sleeves! No criticism,merely a suggestion. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Negative. It is sitting on my shelf taunting me right now. I've started my Stude for the Cannonball Run CBP and will likely get them both ready for paint at the same time. This way, I have the painting out of the way while it's still cool and can finish them during the height of the summer.

Thanks for looking.

• 1 year later...

Okay, this one is back on the work bench as I just finished my '37 Ford.

Working on modifying the kit radiator to include a electric fan and the Viper intake tubes. Still on the fence as far as paint. I'm leaving towards something satin, but not sure yet. Suggestions welcome.

2012-12-18173323.jpg

2012-12-18173333.jpg

Gonna re-primer tomorrow.