Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Audi R8

I got this kit today and I have to say its very nice. its only got 75 pieces, but don't let that fool you. there's alot too this kit. its got a nicely detailed 420 ho V8. I only have one gripe with this kit, and thats with the front grill. its a Revell Germany kit, and there's a difference between the U.S. version and the European version. and its in the grill. THe kit has a grill thats has a slot in it for a European license plate. The U.S. version has a divider where the plate is. its an easy fix with some styrene. but it would have been nice if Revell would have given us an updated grill since its in a Revell USA box.

here's the European grill

2007-Audi-R8-Front-Angle-Closeup-1600x1200.jpg

and the U.S version grill

2899590_1.jpg

oh i gotta say that euro version looks about a thousand percent better than the usa version.

no big surprise really.

and i gotta think tamiya or someone will put this out with detail to shame revell...pretty much happens every time doesnt it?

and maybe its just the photos but the euro version looks a lot sleeker than the USA one...the grille looks shorter and the nose looks longer and the sides look better too. but maybe its just the angle of the photos. those usa lights look ###### too but on that i am thinking its mostly the photo...right?

one love

jah bill

oh i gotta say that euro version looks about a thousand percent better than the usa version.

no big surprise really.

and i gotta think tamiya or someone will put this out with detail to shame revell...pretty much happens every time doesnt it?

and maybe its just the photos but the euro version looks a lot sleeker than the USA one...the grille looks shorter and the nose looks longer and the sides look better too. but maybe its just the angle of the photos. those usa lights look ###### too but on that i am thinking its mostly the photo...right?

one love

jah bill

yeah, I'm waiting for theirs and supposedly the GT race version I've been hearing from Audi sources. B)

I personally like the V12 version with the clean front grill! :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLfBEKgZNN4

Edited by Nick F40

I've been looking over my kit and everything looks great, but changes must be made... For one , that engine is way too small. It needs this in in there...

DSCN1243.jpg

That should be a good start :) . I'm robbing the R8 powerplant for what I think is the best audi ever. This will be the sleeper supreme.

DSCN1244.jpg

That will just leave the r10 tdi to be curbside, but worth it I think.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmmm...very interesting idea...I might steal it myself, as I have all the kits as well :lol:

Make that Quattro a mid engine?? Hmmmmm.... :lol:

I've been looking over my kit and everything looks great, but changes must be made... For one , that engine is way too small. It needs this in in there...

DSCN1243.jpg

That should be a good start B) . I'm robbing the R8 powerplant for what I think is the best audi ever. This will be the sleeper supreme.

DSCN1244.jpg

That will just leave the r10 tdi to be curbside, but worth it I think.

I tend to doubt it, given Tamiya's laid-back recent selections of new material.

Likely Tamiya and Fujimi (forget Aoshima on this one, they tend to stay with home market subjects) would invest the tooling dollars on the fish coming from the pond in Maranello.

Not everything that comes across our path will be Tamigawa. Revell's R8 is a fine kit that builds up into a VERY nice replica. I prefer the Euro-boxed version, though, as the headlight reflectors and exhaust pipes are properly chromed (not in the US-boxed kit).

I tend to doubt it, given Tamiya's laid-back recent selections of new material.

Likely Tamiya and Fujimi (forget Aoshima on this one, they tend to stay with home market subjects) would invest the tooling dollars on the fish coming from the pond in Maranello.

Not everything that comes across our path will be Tamigawa. Revell's R8 is a fine kit that builds up into a VERY nice replica. I prefer the Euro-boxed version, though, as the headlight reflectors and exhaust pipes are properly chromed (not in the US-boxed kit).

Agreed; I doubt that anyone else will step up to the plate for this one, now that this kit is on the market. Revell AG kits might not be Tamiya kits, but they're quite buildable and with typical care will turn out spectacular models. If Tamiya kitted the R8, it would likely end up between $60-$70 retail, or well more than twice the Revell AG price. To some Tamiyaphiles that's entirely acceptable, to me it isn't if there's already a good one on the market.

I didn't know the US version lacked some plating; doesn't matter to me personally as I can shoot some Spaz Stix right over the shiny white parts and have good chrome in no time. Plus I won't have to deal with the infernal Revell AG boxes that are only accessed through the end panel. I wonder what the chances are that Revell would update the kit to the R8 V12 TDI concept which looks so much better than the production version?? If Tamiya did that one...I'd be first in line for it <_<

Isn't it funny how all the various Nippophile modelers serve up identically the same ###### to Revell that the Revell partisans give AMT! Ah well, smugness makes the world go 'round. I'm for the abolishment of 1/25, myself, though I have to concede that I find Revell's results quite livable, particularly at a third to a quarter of the cost.

And I rather like this (1/24) kit! I'll be saying how much I like it quite publicly in the coming months, and beyond that, I won't get more specific in this polite company. Good to see some new Audis out, and I'd have to echo the sentiments that toolmakers from the rising sun aren't near as likely to jump all over this subject as a properly nationalistic German manufacturer is. So the Revell kit is it, and no, you won't have to re-engineer it from the ground up to get a good result, headlight problems notwithstanding - thanks for the heads-up, in fact. I'll be having a good, close look at that area.

Revell AG tends to go with rough estimates of parts before it releases a kit, and evidently Revell USA didn't update this figure when they designed the American box. It's actually 106 parts, if that's of interest to anyone.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

look at Fujimi's Ferrari Super America compared to Revell's Ferrari Super America. the Revell kit is lightyears ahead of the Fujimi. the Revell is fully detailed. has the correct wheels (the fujimi kit does'nt). the rear proportions are way more correct then Fujimi's version.

as for the Japanese not doing new tools of German cars. Fujimi has a current Golf GTI (just GTI here in the states now. VW dropped the Golf name in North America, and they don't call it the Rabbit GTI) kit out there. so although I highly doubt if Fujimi will do the R8. but it is possible.

True dat, Gasman, but there are factors present with the GTI that don't apply to the R8: the Golf in general is a subject with mainstream appeal, the current Golf hasn't already been done by Revell AG, and the previous Golf WAS done by Tamiya - so there might be a bit of one-upmanship going between those two manufacturers. Some online modelers have speculated about Tamiya designers defecting to Fujimi, and while there's no way to verify that apocryphal tidbit, it wouldn't surprise me - that's how much more consistent and competitive Fujimi is these days (SuperAmericas notwithstanding).

Still, point well taken. There's nothing to guarantee Tamiya won't do an R8, and the odds go up considerably if you consider all the Japanese manufacturers.

But I don't think I'll hold my breath.

B)

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

as for the Japanese not doing new tools of German cars. Fujimi has a current Golf GTI (just GTI here in the states now. VW dropped the Golf name in North America, and they don't call it the Rabbit GTI) kit out there. so although I highly doubt if Fujimi will do the R8. but it is possible.

Terry, I think you can definitly expect Fujimi and Tamiya to be doing new tools of German cars, just not following Revell in doing an R8.

What needs to be kept in mind is that Japanese manufacturers plan their product lines for their domestic market. Export sales to countries like the USA are second priority. That means, if the Japanese home market is hot for an R8, it may get done, otherwise its a non-starter.

Aoshima's entire kit product line, with the exception of the ex-Revell/Monogram Jaguar XK120 and the excellent MGB, is just about ALL Japanese automobiles. Tamiya and Fujimi put more emphasis on exports than Aoshima does, witness the fact that Tamiya AND Fujimi have subsidiaries in Europe (both) and the USA (Tamiya only).

BTW, I reviewed the Golf R32 for an upcoming issue of MODEL CARS. It's worth it.

Some online modelers have speculated about Tamiya designers defecting to Fujimi, and while there's no way to verify that apocryphal tidbit, it wouldn't surprise me - that's how much more consistent and competitive Fujimi is these days (SuperAmericas notwithstanding).

Chuckie my old friend, one look at the prototype 250GTO says that Fujimi is no longer bringing a knife to the gunfight. Come to think of it, Hasegawa's 250 TR makes pretty much the same statement.

Ride 'em cowboy! B)

Kinda makes one wonder if Revell has considered doing an "Iron Man" marketing tie-in with this kit.

Ken, that's the kind of thing we used to see all the time back in the glory days of the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

What kills those tie-ins these days is the dreaded word "LICENSING". Licensing fees for high-visibility items have risen to the point that only really high-volume items recoup the costs. Revell is already paying licensing to Audi AG for the R8 as intellectual property. Add the costs of licensing the trademark from Marvel AND the movie image licensing from Paramount/Viacom, and a Revell USA Iron Man R8 wouild cost a bit more than the "unbranded" one - likely, without Wal-Mart style volume sales, a losing proposition.

Have both the Revell AG and US Revell kits and looking forward to building one or both of them. At the much lower price of Revell kits who needs the high priced Japanese kits.

I also just got the KA Models P/E set for this kit which includes metal blades to replace the thicker plastic ones in the grill. It also includes a lot of nice p/e for the interior much of which will be lost through the thick side windows (may have to cut them out).

robw

• 1 month later...

I'm just now finishing up this kit, and will post pics soon. the overall quality, fit and finish is pretty good, and it went together well with very few glitches. Not being factory correct, I wanted to paint the body all one color, even the front & rear vents, and detail wash between the grilles with black. That way I could glue the bumpers and grilles all on before paint. I also made a mesh grille to replace the plastic one, using the kit's material, which looks pretty good. I also left off the exhaust tips until after the body was on the chassis, and made better looking aluminum ones. The kit's decals aren't bad, but a few really won't work, such as the ones that are supposed to fit between the grilles. I liked the wheels it has, and thought I'd try what I sometimes do with Torque Thrusts, and paint the spokes flat light gray, leaving the rim chrome. I left the wheels and tires off until after the body was on the chassis, then I'll do Ismael's tip for altitude adjustment to place the body at the height I want. Like I said, that's all I have to do, so I'll try to get the photos up soon.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Sounds like a nice kit. I'm definitely going to go pick it up since it's on sale for 23$ at my LHS.

I guess I was just worried about the fitting issue. I've built one Revell kit in the past where the fitting was so maddening that I was going to quit (I don't remember how many times I cursed at that car). But I calmed down and tried to figure out some solutions and the end result wasn't all too bad.

In regards to the molding, is it pretty cleanly casted? or are there a lot of flash on the parts where it will require a bit of sanding to make it clean?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Cool. Thanks for the info.

Sounds like a nice kit. I'm definitely going to go pick it up since it's on sale for 23$ at my LHS.

I guess I was just worried about the fitting issue. I've built one Revell kit in the past where the fitting was so maddening that I was going to quit (I don't remember how many times I cursed at that car). But I calmed down and tried to figure out some solutions and the end result wasn't all too bad.

In regards to the molding, is it pretty cleanly casted? or are there a lot of flash on the parts where it will require a bit of sanding to make it clean?

Thanks.

Nah, it's pretty clean. I am not sure about fit as I haven't built mine yet.