Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '90 Mustang LX 5.0 2'n1 Special Edition

Casey

It's ironic-funny. People used to whine all over the place about the absence of a styrene LX Mustang . . . constantly carping about having to buy expensive resin conversions . . . Now the kit that answers all the prayers is out . . . And it's NOT GQQD enough?

Just can't please some of the people ANY of the time.

The reason they were complaining about the resin bodies is because they were not accuratly proportioned. If you issue a styrene kit with the exact same problem, there's going to be complaining. I can easilly understand that.

I really think we should start a petition to Revell now before it gets too late to show our disapproval for these inaccuracies! I had every intention of buy six of these kits and just happened to pick one up at HobbyTown today. If they stopped production of the Charger to correct the body, I think they could do it for this kit as well! I gaurantee thaty once word gets out that this body is as inaccurate as the resin versions, people won't buy it! What do you guys think?

For those of you on Facebook, I just left a long comment showing my displeasure for the inaccurate body on the Revell USA page. I hope those of you that feel the same way, will do so as well. If nobody says anything, they're going to think we're happy with it. If we voice our oppinion in these early stages, maybe they will stop production and retool the body? It never hurts to try!

For those of you on Facebook, I just left a long comment showing my displeasure for the inaccurate body on the Revell USA page. I hope those of you that feel the same way, will do so as well. If nobody says anything, they're going to think we're happy with it. If we voice our oppinion in these early stages, maybe they will stop production and retool the body? It never hurts to try!

I to added to your comment over there Ben!...Sad really in my opinion!!! :(

I to added to your comment over there Ben!...Sad really in my opinion!!! :(

Yes, it is! I was really looking forward to this kit..and I'm a Chevy guy!!!!!! LOL I do love Ford models though for some reason? :) I wish I knew where to start a petition. So far, that Facebook page is the only place I could find to post something.

I have absolute faith that Revell will make it right . There's too much potential for exponential loss of clients (e.g. , cynicism and comtempt for future products) if they just let the flaws slide .

Revell's customer service is top notch , at least in my experiences with them . I certainly believe that it's in their best interest to continue this in regard to their complete products .

Now , how about a revision / backdate to a 1982 model ? :D

I , too , just commented on this kit on Revell USA's facebook page . Of course , I also complimented them on their solid points ; criticise as well as compliment , is my personal rule .

Oddly , the blue 'street' version buildup on the box appears to have a decent roofline . Certainly this "illusion" can be attributed to not only its colour (blue , single tone) , but its position on the box art , and the lighting . I'm definitely not implying that it's absolutely alright ; I'm just mentioning the "play of colour" : the black and white (contrasts) versus the blue (compliment) .

I , too , just commented on this kit on Revell USA's facebook page . Of course , I also complimented them on their solid points ; criticise as well as compliment , is my personal rule .

Oddly , the blue 'street' version buildup on the box appears to have a decent roofline . Certainly this "illusion" can be attributed to not only its colour (blue , single tone) , but its position on the box art , and the lighting . I'm definitely not implying that it's absolutely alright ; I'm just mentioning the "play of colour" : the black and white (contrasts) versus the blue (compliment) .

I believe in that as well and while I forgot to do that on the Facebook post, I made sure to do it in my email.

IF you want to compare an inaccurate model to an inaccurate model ...

here's one in 1/24th scale...

I made this from scraps of Monogram bodies. I still think it looks better then the new body.

I agree! Very nice work!

And here's a little animation I slapped together showing parallax due to differing focal lengths and why you can't always compare photographs unless you exactly match the perspective, focal length, and focus point. Not that I'm saying that the kit's roofline is right, in fact I'm not going to participate in this discussion at all, just going to leave this here and walk away...

HsrOpC1369456854-vi.gif

And here are the individual frames I used.

para1-vi.gif

para2-vi.gif

para3-vi.gif

para4-vi.gif

para5-vi.gif

Edited by Brett Barrow

I think it's funny when there is no kit of '90 Mustang LX Coupe and many modelers want one and they are not happy about the thing that no one has made one. Then Revell accounces that they will be making one. When it's out and in the stores, the modelers that were really interested in it and who had no '90 Mustang LX Coupe, then they start complaining about the inaccurate body shapes, and someone who wanted the kit, maybe just don't buy it because of that. Not just the Mustang, but it's the same thing with other kits too. I have to say, that even if it might not be 100% accurate, I'm very happy that we have a nice kit of '90 Mustang LX Coupe. And the fact is, that most people see no difference between the Model or the Real thing.

Not saying that there should be no criticism, I just find it funny. I'm going to buy one and make it as Stock Eliminator Drag Car even if it had the Chopped roof.

Please continue. 63713938.qaEEdjG9.popcorn.gif

Might be just my perspective, but I was just looking at this month's Car Craft & there is a picture of a 1-1 car, & I'll be darned if it doesn't have the same misaligned side mouldings along with the mis-shapen C-pillar,& out of proportion roof mouldings, they must have used this car to get the measurements for the new model from Revell. Oh I will give you that on the real car the lock is in the proper position. :P

I think it's funny when there is no kit of '90 Mustang LX Coupe and many modelers want one and they are not happy about the thing that no one has made one. Then Revell accounces that they will be making one. When it's out and in the stores, the modelers that were really interested in it and who had no '90 Mustang LX Coupe, then they start complaining about the inaccurate body shapes, and someone who wanted the kit, maybe just don't buy it because of that.

That's not an accurate statement. Those of us who were interesting in this kit have been complaining directly to Revell, although perhaps not as vocally in public, about the inaccuracies presented in this kit since we saw the test shots last October. As Bradley said we were told it was "too late" to do anything other than shrink the size of the 5.0 badge. The complaints died down for awhile until the kit came out because I think a lot of us were secretly hoping Revell would come to their collective sense and fix the body before issuing it. They didn't, and now yes the complaint level is at "howling". To be fair after the '50 Olds, '57 Ford & '62 Corvette which while not perfect were 95% or above in "getting it close" why would we expect a sudden backslide into "obviously inaccurate"?

Actually both of Revell's newest tools serve the function of "parts donor" rather than an actual model kit. With some trimming and fiddling you can get the chassis up into an old MPC kit. The Rat Roaster has a lot of nice separate parts, but as a whole it's glaringly obvious what corners were cut in how accurate, or rather lack thereof the model is compared to the real car.