Model Cars Magazine Forum

Almost finished: Peterbilt 358 Custom Needlenose

All I can say Mark is WOW nice work ................... your work inspired me to do more detailing on my trucks thx.

Please tell me that you will put a sunvisor on this and where did you get the decals?

Edited by Mr mopar

Mark,

This is amazing work! I can't get over the (Alclad) chrome wheels, stacks and breathers! That came out really bright and shiney! The paint job is really eye catching and resembles a today's (2010s) paint scheme. This is real inovative and inspiring work...great stuff.

Jeff

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words.

Doug, I did make a custom, stainless visor for it. The decals are from Slixx. It is one of the graphic sheets they sell. Jeff, the trick to the alclad, or spaz stix, is very low pressure; 8-10 psi, and such light coats that you cannot even see the mist. You have to watch the part very closely to see the shine to appear. Then lots of coats, about 25 to 30 got this level of reflectivity. After a few hours in a food dehydrator, polish gently with a dry Q-tip. Takes lots of time.

100_0955_zps4bc9d778.jpg

I created a Photobucket account, and you can see it in the background.

Edited by purepmd

Ive never done alclad. I have a bottle, been wanting to use it soon. Is it true you have to use the same brands black for the base coat

I've seen people use other enamels and get decent results, but Mark told me this stuff is already reduced for a/b spray and goes on beautifully. Keep in mind, it's designed expressly for this purpose, and as you've seen, when done correctly it's hard to argue with the results.

Thats what my LHS told me. Just poor it straight into the a/b and spray. Guess i need to ask more ?s. This is the 1st time ive seen it actually look like chrome, thats why id really like to know what mark used for the base. I want to learn the right way, so the results are close to this.

Hey Clayton, Thanks for the compliments. As to the Alclad base, these parts were covered with the Alclad black base. I have done some tests with Gloss and Flat white, and gloss gray, acrylic and enamel black. I believe that, because of the extremely light coats I apply, it will stick to about anything. The big concern is that it be smooth. The gray baseworks the best for the Alclad Airframe Aluminum, while flat white gives a finish almost exactly like the JetHot coating on exhaust headers. A very cool effect. The Alclad black base is very easy to spray and covers very well in just a couple of thin coats. When they say to let it dry overnight, they are not kidding. I was in a hurry once, and tried to recoat it after only about 3 hours, and it looked like Testors silver. It would not get shiny. I also use a food dehydrator on all my paint jobs now, even Spaz Stix and Alclad. It makes a great difference in how smooth the paint flows out, and how hard it gets. With a little practice, I think you will like the results. Good luck.

Mark.

Great custom work on this thing....Even with all that, I think my favorite thing about this whole truck is the wheels and tires....They look great with those Itleri rims on them....Now I've got a hankering for a 379 build.....Man, those look good....

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys, Thank you for all the kind words. Doug, I wanted a unique trailer to go with this tractor, so I threw together a, 51', 3 axle, livestock trailer, with full interior bulkheads and upper deck, and the rear door relocated to the left side of the rear wall. I will post pics of the pair soon.

• 5 months later...

Hey Guys, It has been a while since I have had anything to post. 2014 was a very tough year, but I have made some progress of late and I would like to share some pictures with you all.

I have to finish the exhaust, intake piping, air lines, and driveshaft and I am calling it quits on this one. Here is the photobucket links;100_0967_zpspsems4mf.jpg100_0965_zpshf1vuh1o.jpg

100_0966_zpskthjpakp.jpg

100_0963_zpsg6tlgmoc.jpg

100_0962_zpshnhhrzvi.jpg100_0960_zpsrjiwd8f4.jpg

100_0959_zpsacqfl5py.jpg100_0961_zps946ysgdu.jpg

100_0964_zpsh6amxlfi.jpg