Model Cars Magazine Forum

1948 Lincoln Mild Custom .....Completed!

Jeff Sauber

Actually thats a good question, Bob.....I'm not really sure myself what exactly makes it a true mild custom. I did update the engine as well as smooth out the factory body creases on the sides of the fenders, and I also elected to get rid of the external hinges on the doors and trunk.

I guess one could say that the car is sort of stuck between stock and mild custom, so perhaps "mildly modfied" would be a better description?.....Either way, I just wish I could blow this thing up to 1:1 size and head on down the road in it for a while and see what that Lt-5 can do......... :D

I hear ya, I didn't know ya did those things. I have the kit but have not started on it yet. yours looks nice!

I started to build one of those about 15 years ago, and finally gave up on it. Yours is just gorgeous. Do tell me the details on that roof tho!

Dave, The kit roof was pretty bare and toylike as is, so I looked up a few 1:1 cars to see what I needed to do in order to add on some details, and spice things up a little.

The "seams" I added on the roof are just small styrene strip, and the button snaps are photoetched parts....It's not 100% accurate, but it's similar to the 1:1, and looks alot better than just doing nothing.

The inner bracing details are from the kit, but have been thinned out and reworked along with some photoetched bolts, screws, and rivets.

The Roof's inner bracing was very thick and out of scale a needed alot of attention. The "top down" boot, was partially kit bashed from a revell 48 ford covertible kit, and partially scratchbuilt with sheet plastic.

I remember buying this kit in 1999 and being impressed by it's awfulness. I never finished that one. Now that my skills are up, I picked one up about a year and a half ago to try and improve it. Then along comes Jeff, who no doubt has one-upped (no... upped a thousand fold) the best possible end result I could've gotten out of mine. Thanks! Thanks a lot Jeff! You crushed my spirit and ruined my whole day! In the best way possible, of course! :D:lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Chuck Most

Infartincredible!!!

Do tell about the brake lines running to the master cylinder...

I just coiled up some 26 or 28 gauge craft wire, added a couple of small scratchbuilt fittings, and tucked it under the brake vaccuum booster. It's just some simple brake plumbing, nothing too fancy.

I think the master cylinders all look so bare without any lines comming from them. You don't have to plumb the whole car from front to back if you don't want to, but I always try to at least add a couple lines to the fluid resevior for good measure.

Edited by J. Sauber