Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 Nova Pro-Street FINISHED 5-8-15

am73grand

I've been a fan of Rick Dobbertins '65 Nova ever since I first saw it on the cover of Hot Rod back in 1982. I was ten years old back then and a street car with a blower and huge tires out back really left an impression on me. I've always wanted to do a model of it so here goes.

844561-bigthumbnail.jpg

This will not be an exact replica but more of a tribute car. This will be based on Trumpeters '63 Coupe. This is not going to be my typical full tube chassis car. This will be a typical 80's pro street back halve job with a ten point cage. The trumpeter kit has a really nice front suspension in it so I decided to back halve it just like a real one.

First step was to secure a set of tubs. These are out of the Christine pro mod kit:

JBrktu5Mv2LN__OjiSD6whGM_c_ZOp-vi.jpg

Then I had to cut the rear floor pan away from the Nova

pvS0wElLQDAlcFZG0uyU9dhZ5LcG1H-vi.jpg

Here it is tacked in place. Still need to add a trunk floor and add the frame rails and subframe connectors:

sC-vi.jpg

RSp8q85Pn3YWn-vi.jpg

More coming as I take a trip back in time to do this up 80's style!

Thanks for looking!!

Edited by am73grand

I love that car. I had a 63 Chevy II in 82 when that car came out. Man, the dreams of a teenager. I ended up selling to my brothers friend who did turn it into a prostreet car. He painted it pizz yellow. I was so bummed. Anyway I'll be watching this thread. Lay it out Ron.

I always liked that car too. And you're building this old-school. Good for you. I would have just put it on the AMT '66 Nova pro-street chassis and said "good enough."

yea, so was Ron, but I haven't shipped it out yet. found the magazine it was in too so I will be sending that.

I was thinking about a community build on pro streeters that were the forerunners, but the other pro street CB went flat, so I didn't. I still want to do Kollofski's 55, Sullivan's 55 chevy and 67 nova

So are you still planning on that insane blown/2xturbo'd SBC?

I did some digging through my stash and I am going with the blown big block out of this Revell Corvette:

68vette.jpg

I am going to do my best to replicate that crazy Dobbertin motor, I have the air cleaners from the AMT '70 Superbee. I'll also be using the wheels and tires from that kit. I have no idea where I'm going to get the Turbos. I may have to make them. I also need a separate, big block, chromed oil pan to go on the 'Vette motor.

Tonight's project will be extending the firewall so it meets the cowl and cutting the doors free of the body.

I always liked that car too. And you're building this old-school. Good for you. I would have just put it on the AMT '66 Nova pro-street chassis and said "good enough."

That WAS the plan like Al said. Then I looked at the instructions for the '66 and saw it has leaf springs. The real car has coil overs with a Dana 60. Plus the rear floor pans of the two cars are different. Figured it would be easier to just back half it. It wasn't much work to do. The hard part will be making it all pretty under there as this will be a fully detailed build top to bottom.

Got to work on this some more today. The first thing I did was slap a cross member in front of the tubs. (I'll have to add a driveshaft loop)

tRzT_cbLZmkBF0WgyppChTL1ZJma0n-vi.jpg

Then I extended the firewall and filled the holes in the firewall

WXIX6B7TUL1G5M3AnZXpztOtm-vi.jpg

Changed my mind with the engine. I'm using the big block from a COPO Nova. The real car used a Turbo 400 so I scored one out of a Revell '72 Cutlass.

pHKoqsOCFlnx5REr35jp5ZntekFzcO-vi.jpg

R3-vi.jpg

I googled slapping a big block into a first Gen Nova and it looks like the shock towers need to be moved. I'm going to try and work around that so I can keep the awesome detailed front end. For now I've got to let some glue dry.

More to come!

Edited by am73grand

Did a little on this one tonight after everyone went to bed. I cut the doors off the body:

Zj1GpH5T1DIC-vi.jpg

I also installed the drive shaft loop and started the bodywork on the chassis:

eDsIum_91e3bPd2ujRSMmb2BuoMY3x-vi.jpg

I threw a rear axle in it just to check the fit. I'll be modding it to look like a Dana 60. This build will call for lots of chrome!

OStVDu2KguRGuOdqiW3Hly5_iwuhL-vi.jpg

As always thanks for looking!!

I googled slapping a big block into a first Gen Nova and it looks like the shock towers need to be moved. I'm going to try and work around that so I can keep the awesome detailed front end. For now I've got to let some glue dry.

More to come!

they dont need to be moved but notched, the top of the tower is the same but yo cut the inner side out that faces the engine and re-plate it further outboard, the cut/plate goes from the top of the tower to the bottom directly above the upper control arm mount. The engine will fit without this being done but you wont get a real set of headers on the car and changing plugs is harder than winning the powerball. Its also common to cut out the vertical rear inner panels between the firewall and the shock tower for headers to exit, It is darn near i,possible to fit a good BB header between the frame rails on a first gen nova as the rails are narrow the steering box is right in the way. I still have one of the front ends that is modified as described I may could get pictures of if you want, Ive built a few and still race a 64 nova.

Im still hunting a trumpeter hard top to make a replica of the race car.